1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How much to exercise a 16week old pup.

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by THE LYCAN, Jan 23, 2012.

1. THE LYCAN

THE LYCAN Pup

So my 16 week old pup is hell on wheels with energy. She never seems to tire and is always looking for more play, tug, walk, etc. I currently walk her about a mile twice a day in trails. Half her wak is off lead and she goes up and down hills, running at top speed and generally just loving life. When we get home she doesn't seem to tire at and wants more play but I don't want to over do it since she's still growing and developing. Have any of you had or have a pup like this? And should I extend her walks abit more? We also do flirtpole for about 20 minutes a day as well as the walks. She just never seems winded or tired. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. CCDINO

CCDINO Pup

Sounds like she needs to be mentally challenged. Start teaching her to heal next to you. Healing is walking with you while looking up at you. Lead her with treats, get her doing turns walking backwards. Trust me I do this with all my dogs. It really keeps them guessing on when they get that treat...

3. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Take her to an obedience club so you can teach her discipline and how to act properly in public while on the leash. These classes also drain them mentally and they are a lot of fun for you and your dog. You really can't teach that at home, you need a good trainer to show you good technique and how to approach corrections. Also, home training goes out the window when your dog is out in the real world with other dogs, people and distractions.

Obedience clubs that actively compete in dog sports have great trainers that can show you the ropes. Depending on the pup they also offer tracking classes, agility classes and other fun sports. However, you have to build obedience before any of that. I would suggest looking one up and enrolling your dog.

4. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

She is being a Fuc&^% puppy Let her play. What do you want in a dog A little soldier that Stays up your ass. (YOU should have gotten a sheperd) Or A wild ass pup that is full of beans and acts just like what they have acted like for ever. yea some dogs are very calm and stay up your ass. I dont know I hate it when people get a pitpup and think it should be ther little project on how good they can train them and say see its all in how you raise them.

5. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I personally don't have my dog heel next to me on walks, I strap on his walking harness with a long lead and let the dog pull me around town and go nuts so it can get a good workout. If I see anyone on coming dogs I cross the street or wait on the side until they pass us. Heeling next to you isn't going to tire out the dog much.

I agree with TripleJ though, puppies are going to be wired and act crazy. You gotta let them be puppies, the only thing to watch out for is bad behaviors such as nipping or trying to eat your stuff at home lol

6. bamboo33

bamboo33 Big Dog

I would extend the walks if you have the time. Only think I would be cautious about at that age is the flirt pole. Keep it low to the ground, not a whole lot of jumping or fast cuts.

Sounds like you're doing a good job w her, she's just a firecracker.

7. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

my advice. don't take advice from a internet fourm on things that's obvious. ask your dog the right questions & they will tell you everything. toughen her pads & just give her something to do.

8. FATCITY

FATCITY Big Dog

sound like you own a pup and not a adult dog yet all training is good but let the pup be a pup!! When you were a kid did you get sent to obedience class for haveing to much fun as a kid ! Just keep takeing the long walks and spend the time to know your pup and he or she will know you and there might be no need for training remember still a pup

9. THE LYCAN

THE LYCAN Pup

Thanks all for the views and input so far. Actually she knows all her basic commands obedience wise. She's just a firecracker compared to any other bulldog I've had. I was more looking to see if it were safe to extend the walks. At that age. I love her puppy phase and it's definitely intense. I just don't want to mess up her development. How far or how long do you guys walk your pups at that age?

10. venom

venom Top Dog

some dogs are just wound up and you will be whipped before she ever will.
    you aren't going to out walk your dog... if its to much she will probably stop.

I would definitely stop walking her off-lead though. That's how accidents happen.

11. THE LYCAN

THE LYCAN Pup

I definitely hear you on that. I only let her go off lead when w we are down in the quarry but never where people or other dogs might be. And just now that she's a pup still but wont let her off lead when she's older of course.

12. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I agree about not letting the dog off leash. I lost my first dog for about 30 minutes one day when we went on a hike and it saw a pack of deer in the woods. He pretty much switched gears and he went after them lol I found him a mile away later covered in mud I learned my lesson about off leash stuff, with these dogs anything can draw their interest and before you know it he will disappear specially if the pup is as wired as you say.

13. FATCITY

FATCITY Big Dog

at 16 weeks the pup should have just gotten its last boster shot . how long have you been taking the pup on walks and to obidence classes? i use the kolher method to train around 6mths old and before that they walk around the ranch and have a 40 x 40 area to hang out in and play with puppy toys allday . then at 6mths the walking and training start. this is not gosple but just the way i do it . good luck and enjoy your pup you sound like you know what you are doing ;-)

14. elifan

elifan Big Dog

I would put her on a 3/4 chain that ways about 70 lb that should slow her down j.k. its a pup sounds like your doing enough

15. KamiKaze

KamiKaze Pup

:bitchin:

Let the dog be a puppy. Hopefully your not having a dog of that age jumping around on a flirtpole for 20min.
    Sounds like maybe you should've gotten an older dog.

Go grab a Kong Wobble- They are pretty freakin durable. My dog uses hers almost everyday. I got her one when I got her, she is around 3 now. Still using the same one. That means something since shes a destroyer of toys.

Black Kong- Frozen only. If its not frozen, its pretty much a waste of time. They will have it empty in less time it took you to fill it. I put baby food, cooked chicken, yogurt, kibble, canned pumpkin... any good stuff and make a lil mixture outta it, fill it, freeze it. I always have one iin the freezer.

RC Car- You can buy a cheap one at the dollar store. This is a good tool for training. To teach a command to seize the chase. It will be pretty beneficial (sp?) when they are older... as long as you stick with the training.