1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How many of you fast your dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by frogs, Mar 29, 2016.

1. frogs

frogs Big Dog

2. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Shit every other day mostly in hot months

3. c_note

c_note CH Dog

Like Cajun said. Every other day "hot spring" through summer. Winter every Saturday or Sunday. By hot spring I mean 85+. The humidity in the South is REAL... You'll sweat out a couple outfits a day tryin to be cute outside

4. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Never in the winter, once or twice A week when it's hot. Just depends but at least once when it's hot!

5. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lol I never knew there was a science behind it, I've always done it because that's how I was taught too.

6. What's the benefit of fasting?

7. frogs

frogs Big Dog

Click the link I posted for starters.

8. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

Good article! Same as Cajun that's what I was taught! In the heat of summer a lot of dogs are unactive, they eat and lay up! Until reading this I always thought it was to keep fat from building up. On working dogs fat in the gut, can really be A problem and if there for A while hard to get off. Where I'm at though I might cut back in solid feed and add lean broth in winter A fat dog is an unhealthy dog. VERY GOOD article!!

9. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

every other day seems a bit extreme to me,,, but I dont live in the south...

it reminds me of shelby on axemen when he took his legend willy the swamp dog to the vet and the vet asked what shelby fed his dog willy and shelby asked willy what do you eat???
    he said he eats what ever and when ever he wants and shelby has never fed a dog in his life!!!
    Im sure willygets scraps from the hunt and hunts and scavanges in a swamp full of goodies...
    seems to be a cool and great life for a dog,,, a far better life than an average dog by all means!!!

Watch The Legend of Willy The Swamp Dog Clip - The Legend of Shelby the Swamp Man | HISTORY

growning up young I was introduced to other cultures living in a big city and a good friend moved here from compton and his father was a minister in the mosque that he brought with him,,,
    everybody knows muslims amd jewish people eat healthier and FASTING is apart of their culture,,,
    all my friends family that were adults fasted on sundays and the older kids one sunday a month...

I felt so bad for my buddy no t being able to eat my foods and having to not eat at all once a month,,,
    now I am a typical mid-age american that grew up in the pepsi generation and starting to retain unnatuaral toxins,,,
    fasting might be a better long term option but I could use a cleanse...

Looking back at the acient art of fasting and my buddys father was enlightened...

My friend,,, the honerable Malik that owned the ace IBM also practices these beliefs...
    IMO,,, his keeps were of the best for the dog as he started them on kosher scraps,,,
    cleanse their system and stack natural nutrients,,,vitamins and minerals through diet,,,
    the dog ate what he ate and he was a top athlete and personal trainer...
    IBM and his sister BUSY had their plates full,,,
    but Malik believed in every sunday as a day for rest through fast and prayer...

After sitting in airports for countless hours on stand by talking to this man long distance,,,
    I was enlightened to understand that the ACE IBM was raised like my child hood buddy from compton,,,
    A GRAND CHAMPION ACE,,, as my buddy in fourth grade could tell you he was going to be a doctor,,,
    you better believe he is now practicing what he preached!!! my hats of to you DR. Muhammad!!!

two different cultures,,, muslim and cajun both practice this method in one degree or another,,,
    whether self or animals...

I live in a colder climate more north,,,
    In winters dogs outside cant fast on colder days and feeding them twice a day is ideal,,,
    when a a warm spell snaps,,, I would try to fast the first day to start to flush the winter insulation,,,
    and as spring approaches maybe once a month or three weeks to start cutting the weight and toxins...

hot summer less food and maybe once every other week depending on the dog and temp...

fall same as spring...

puppies never,,,
    I like my childhood buddies upbringing and they need steady nutrition,,,
    again feeding older pups twice a day is not only ideal but the law in my area,,, haha...

things to take into consederaion,,,
    the individuals,,, their age and the type of food,,,
    the healthier the less you have to fast,,,
    the crappy cheapest kibble probably more often...

listen to Mayfields rambles about health,,,
    there is alot there if you have an ear,,,
    hell,,, he ran a fruit and veggie stand up till his death...

Mayfield also fasted the dogs of water in his keeps and was one of the first to do so,,,
    if you listen to my rambles and do your research and apply,,,
    I am sure you and you dog will bee happier and more sound also...

check out the ketosis diets and the intermittent fasting that comes natural when your not starved...

Intermittent fasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also the type where you eat/feed less,,, like 20% of normal...
    anything to flush those toxins...

10. frogs

frogs Big Dog

On a side note, ACV helps cut fat.

" the main ingredient, acetic acid, triggers the liver to start burning body fat"

But during the process also makes a dog run hotter, so it would be wise to cut the ACV during heavy training or actual work.

11. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

good note frogs,,,
    some fast towards the end for the exact reason,,,
    helps flush the system and toxins that make them run hot...
    or so I was sold...

12. frogs

frogs Big Dog

And as far as fasting every other day for these animals, IMO, no way I would do it. Reason, the way these dogs are physically being trained is a consistent tare down and rebuild process that needs a constant supply of nutrients to maximis both the ability to workout and repair effectively.

13. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

what caj dont know is what them hounds are eating at night,,,
    when they fast that often,,, or at least wild animals get a better weight that helps their speed and mindset to hunt their prey more accordingly,,, and to boot their diet tells them what part of the animal to eat...

I seen a video a friend shared that has a donkey dropped in a cage with two lions,,,
    the lions were domesticated and very fat and cur behavior as they couldn't do shit,,,
    one donkey literally kicked the shit out out of them,,,
    until I think they shot it...

very sad and those types should be shot or at least simulate a hunt and FAST those pussy cats for a month or so!!!

14. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

They leave remains ever now and then lol. I also go by my eye as well,as in some get fed a small amount on off days if they look to be "hungry". Also should note that I feed a bit more when I do feed than I would if they were being fed daily. As I said this is just something I was taught coming up

15. frogs

frogs Big Dog

That sounds like Mayfields theory, as a hungry animal is more motivated and focused on the hunt and captuture than anything else.

16. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

A lot of people fast there dog unknowingly for instance when one forgets to buy some kibble, LOL or if one is really sick, or if one is really busy and exhausted and says I will feed them tomorrow. LOL

17. I fast my dog every Sunday

18. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

We always fast sun up to sun down on the Sabbath in my house

19. Mop Master

Mop Master Yard Boi AKA MopMaster, Gutter Boy & LWG

I fast my dogs on sundays...

20. TROTLINE

TROTLINE Top Dog

I remember as A kid coon hunting with my uncle, he said A dog hunts best when there hungry! There is something to be said close to race day offering A dog water as soon as he lifts his head remove it until the next day, BUT that also depends on how wet they are!