1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

how many cups do you feed your 50ish pounders?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by MoEttaWinnyMOM, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

At first glance, I thought the title of this topic read, "how many CURS do you feed your 50ish pounders?" Lol

2. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

We just started on Natures Variety a week ago, so far the dogs love it. I have been told good things about the food from people who use it.

3. luvnstuff

luvnstuff Pup

Wow.. I am over feeding.. L O L .

But all depends on the dog and the activity I think.

A young dog is still growing bone mass. so I would be very (!) leary of cutting a dog who is under two ? Escpecially if working out hard???
    Muscles need FOOD .
    Scotoer is a 70 pound pitty who is hard to put weight ON her, in her conditioned think state we feed her about 4-6 cups a day , depending on activity.. for a while it was 6 cups, (two 3 x daily) and she was VERY lean and active. This winter we switched over to Science Diet (donated food to the dogs) and she has PUT ON WEIGHT (This food looking at the ingredients is CRAP) .. so she is down to 4 cups a day (2C-2 X a day)

We are soon to start weight pulling and I again will be adjusting her foods as I want her lean but want the muscle mass.

Maybe I am way to old school or new school. I want to see at LEAST 2- 3 ribs and muscles. No chub.
    Acutally just took her out for a walk and one of my neighbors didnt even recongnize her, they asked what happened to that anorexic dog from Stockholm.. *sigh* here she is.. chubba bubba..we have our work cut out for us both.. winter sucks.
    Of course she is about 3 years old now too.

4. T&J

T&J Pup

My boy is 62 lbs. and is 8 1/2 months old. We feed him 2 cups mixed with half a can of wet in the day and the same amount in the night. But yeah your right about the muscle mass growth when they are still a pup. He is pretty lean since he was younger. That's his picture on my signature. The last time I brought him to the vet, the vet was saying that he's overweight but I like him looking like that rather than his ribs showing.

5. out of that 4 cups of science diet you're feeding 3 cups of it is pooped out in your yard. that stuff is garbage.

6. luvnstuff

luvnstuff Pup

omg boogie man you are 100 % right.

Actually I switched foods on Scooter. Since she is still sponsored as all the dogs here are under a rescue group and Science Diet funds our food.....I dont have much a choice on the others as I cannot afford to feed all these guys out of my pocket. But Scoot is switching.

I can actually say, Science Diet is ABSOLUTE CRAP.. ever look at the ingredients..egads.. talk about sucking.

She did put on weight, probably all the filler, but I am not feeding her that crap anymore, as spring has sprung and its time to work more. I think her stamina is in jepordy on that crappy food.

I cant believe they sell that CRAP as a top name food,its really sad and a rape on the consumers who think because of "brand name" they are buying something GOOD.

puke.. awful food. I feel SORRY feeding it to my fosters..and would never recommend this food to a freakin poodle owner.

Meatball is one big dandruff dog, Diesel is doing ok on it. Scooter actually put on weight...but not good weight.

crap crap crap and yup it all outside in HUGE piles in the yard..

7. hardluck

hardluck Banned

Let me say something, make your own dog food its cheaper and does wonders. Do your research on it first and put it together with the kibble. If not go all raw, but make sure your dog is getting everything he/she needs if you do. Another thing I give my dog 1cup raw which is a mixture of many things that anyone can look up and research themselfs because im not telling my secrets, and 1 cup purina one and he looks like a machine. the main thing is go by eye and do it that way and not by what the bag says because he/she will be healthy but not APBT healthy. just make sure that the dogs ribs aren't showing too much and that you cant see the hips and your in the clear lol. IF you can see too much spine and hips you are f'd up in the feeding aspect of the APBT.