1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How long would you wait?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by blackjackjr_9, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Dear friends,
    How long would you wait untill you are sure that your pup has everything you expect from him? Historical wise, Zebo turned when he was 2, Dibo turned when he was 2-3. I hope my question will be understood. If not a good question, please close the topic.

2. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Dibo turned on more like at the age of 3yrs. Most dogs turn on around 18-24 mos. Some lines/dogs turn on earlier. I've had dogs that were ready to go at 10-12mos., but in general it is good to wait till they nature a little more.
    Some of the Eli dogs don't turn on till 3yrs and I've seem dogs turn on as late as 4yrs.

The Watcher likes this.
  3. Michele

Michele Guest

ok, I know what 'turned on' means. I have a question. Sorry if I sound like an idiot....is it possible for a pit not to turn on at all?

4. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

Yes it is possible that the dog will be cold all of its life. Every dog varies. You can not make the dog turn on it is up to the dog rather or not it does or not.

5. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yes. They're called "cold" dogs.

But never trust a pit bull not to fight. I have seen bulldogs who were cold as ice & who never hit a lick their whole lives unexpectedly turn on & kill a dog.

So be careful.

The Watcher likes this.
  6. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

I've read things about some dogs who were destroyers in competition, but were complete pushovers, by man or beast, outside their game.

*shrug*

I read about (and this was before I was born) a dog that was kept as a pet, cold all of its life, and went up against another dog of the same line that was a winner, and the pet won. Then it went back to being a pet. People used this as an example of a "typical (insert name of line) dog" and their ability and drive.

I'll have to find the story and post the link. I can't remeber exactly what line it was, but it was a good read.

I guess it's the dog, really.

7. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

"but in general it is good to wait till they nature a little more"

I'm with you on this Scotsman. Patience is the key. Just let it mature physically/mentally. People tend to wanna rush things & that can just lead to a ruined dog.;)

Regards,

Mel

8. 440rider

440rider Guest

a dog "turning on" is a term used to describe a dogs interest in doing a specific trait of what it's bred to do! As far as a dog being "cold" a cold dog has no interest in doing what it has been bred to do!

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I think this may be the account you're thinking off Kergin:

"Fred Williamson has a son of Boze he called Pistol who was raised as a house pet. Word was that Pistol was a pet & a cur & that Don Mayfield & George had a dog at 49lbs that would prove it. Well, after enough talk, ol Fred said put up or shut up. The match was made. Mayfield had George's blessing to shape up their Ch. Gomer dog, a winner of several high dollar contests. Ch. Gomer was a littermate to Ch. 400, another multi-time winner. Both dogs came in on the weight & at 2:45 Ch. Gomer cleared the wall & jumped right into the arms of Don's wife, Phyllis Mayfield. Now who was the cur?

A paid advertisement was published in Raymond Holt's magazine 'Pit Dog Report' shorly after the contest. The ad stated "Boudreaux' Pistol: Just an average Boudreaux dog!" The ad wasn't to peddle pups or for stud service, it was simply a statement. And it was true; Pistol was an average of Floyd's dogs."

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Most are quick to cull dogs who arent fully cranked by 16 or 18 months. Thats insane. If you had enough faith to make the breeding, or buy the dog, hang onto it a few years and give it a shot. Everyone calls dogs "Cold" if they arent cranked by 2, 2-1/2, etc. I'd bet most "cold" dogs were simply late-bloomers who were culled before mental maturity. I think I'd probably draw the line around 4-5 years old.

11. Danno

Danno Pup

Is it odd for them to turn on at a very young age? I have Kadin and he turned at around 5 or 6 months...

12. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Totally agree with you Rock. ;)

13. Yes we have 2 just like that!

14. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Not at all odd. Although its usually nothing more then dominance at that age. I've seen a few who would go into eachother like grown dogs at 6 weeks old. I personally dont like to see dogs starting that early, I dont know. Superstition, and the way I was taught. How many times has the one jumping the others at 8 weeks old, the first one to quit at 18 months. LOL

15. I pray that not be the case! lol

16. Thankx for the replies friends.
    I dont think that a pit can turn when he/she is 6 months, that might be just a game with the others to prove dominance or genetic aggression coming from parents. I think gameness is a character and charater of dogs is only stable when they are mentally adult. so I would wait till mostly till 3.

second question :D
    When should be the first test? and how do you understand if the dog is ready for a test?

17. Attila

Attila Guest

the answer to that would have to come in the form of speculative theory and not operational. As of 1976 that had to end. So if some one answers this they will have to go from a historical point or to say speculative theory. Really not worth the hassle. But if you really want to know there are some books out that discuss upon those topics. The best advise I can give you is to read from the history books written in days gone by.

18. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Blackjack, my best advice for you would be to get off the internet and do some heavy study of the breed's past.

I have all scatterbred dogs and rescues, but as far as turning on... The average for my dogs was about 18 months. I have a "lowrider" dog who turned on around the age of 3-4 years. It's possible for a dog to turn on at an early age, but I'm skeptical of the 6 week old fireball (AKA "The Little Shit", for those of you who remember that pup ;) )

19. I have a dog that never really been aggrestive (spelled wrong) arung other dogs. But when she was about 15 months see started being really food aggrestive (spelled wrong) toward other dogs does that mean she truned on

20. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Thanks ABK...it was an average Boudreaux dog ;)

Now, historically they were great. I wonder if they're still being bred like that today....