1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How long will this take?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Thunder98, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Now I've had strange dogs before but this one gets me. About a month or so back I built 3 doghouses and a pen. I have three dogs on my yard 2 are cool with the new set up but the lil female in the avatar is simply not with them. I've tried holding her out trying to break her but she is breaking me, especially when my kids see her. I even got her old crate cedar chips and sprinkled them in. She would rather dig a hole and hop in it. Its about to get cold and its time out for the plastic houses that she so loves, even when I scrubbed the plastic houses out she would take her time to reenter. ......Any suggestions..

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

when she gets cold enough 9 times outta 10 she'll head to the warmest spot she can find. just keep an eye on her. maybe bait her into the dog house...

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I started a thread a while back called stubborn dogs and spoke on this issue with one of mine. She finally learned.

4. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Thanks fellas, man stubborn she is!

5. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I've got one that won't either, he didn't all winter. Luckily I'm in Alabama so it doesn't get super cold, I tried everything just wouldn't work with him

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

6. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

I will just put her up in the above ground kennel for now but she's getting to me. If it rains she find a tree. Man I took a piece of raw chicken feed the 2 doing right and decide i would place hers in the front of the entrance inside... Clowned like hell running back and forth jumping bouncing biting at chain for me to get that chicken out of there, about 15 minutes hell she broke me when she went for the chain, without a doubt she is the stubbornest dog I've had...a beauty though.

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Some say it helps to feed them inside the house. Put it in there and walk away. Let them figure it out.

You see it a lot when they go from a wood house to a barrel or vice versa. Long story short dogs do best when they have a routine. Part of 'routine' is same house, same spot, same, same, same.

99% of all dogs figure it out. I have male right now that I switched spots from a wood house to a barrel. Last weeks rain he spent more time outside the barrel than in. It was like once he got completely soaked he went in, but at the beginning of each rain he would ball up and lay there til he could not wait it out.

99% figure it out. S

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lol I tried feeding him inside the house he would go in to eat, then right back out. What I found out with him is that he wants a house he can stand up in easily and a door big enough he can walk in without crouching or bending. Dogs are individuals like people and some just have their quirks.

9. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I am a firm believer in their individuality. I'm not so sure any two are the same.

I have a few that were a struggle to adjust to chain life. I have a few that it never phased them. Most fall somewhere in the middle, difficult adjustment but get it in the end.

S

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I have used straw to get them to go in and it worked like a charm.Most dogs can't resist a fresh bed of straw to lay in.You may already have tried it ,but just a option.

11. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Yep that worked for most of mine when I built new houses, you tool I was speaking of above would kick his out of the house and make a bed in front of door lol

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I got one now that's going on 3 yrs old and never been in a dog house.

13. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

All good posts but I really like this one as thier all individuals and some with weird quarks indeed...

My old buddy Dirty Dixon rip had a bulldog with a couple quarks, he named the dog Buford after Raymond Ramseys favorite bulldog whom was in the pedigree...
    This dog Buford was fed out of a large rubber livestock bowl as a pup with his littermates and refused to eat out of any other type of new bowl as it must have made him feel at home or something was dirtys resonse, this quark would have caused him sure starvation without owner innervention...
    Another quark the dog had was he slept ON a pastic barrel house, yes ON not IN...
    The dog comfortably draped his front feet and head over the barrel, with his backs planted firmly on the ground, Buford must have got his best sleep in this hammock in the sky as he would saw logs until either a good dream or gravity got the best of him and he would rudley be woken by the ground...
    Only falling in your sleep was reality for Buford but I wonder if he could tell a difference as he was a funny bulldog to watch, but unlike the food situation he knew enough to get in the house when it was cold and maybe the straw drew him in... In spite of Bufords quarks he was one of Dirtys favorite for good reason and please dont let any of these quarks amongst others I wont mention let you believe Buford wasnt a hundred percent bulldog... He and a couple littermates were good enough bulldog to repeeat that breeding two or three more times and allthough Dixons Buford wasnt quite as good as Ramseys Buford, besides the color of the nose they looked alot alike but that wasnt the only reason that made Dirtys choice of calling him Buford was a good one as he was worthy of the name...

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [179220] :: <B><FONT COLOR=NAVY><FONT FACE=TIMES NEW ROMAN SIZE=4>GEEHAD KENNELS' BUFORD

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [12084] :: RAMSEY'S BUFORD

As Bamaman mentioned, a cold night and some straw in the house might be the remedey...
    And if they kick the straw out and dig a hole to borrow in, try cedar chips as sometimes some of the same smells sights and soumds detract insects and actually attract some mammels...
    Bufords sire was raised off and on in the house and rebeled sleeping outside in a dog house and would dig a hole and insulate himself with snow but I am sure Buford got his quarks from the dams side, lol... let the mims fanciers tell it just the oppisite, Buford lokked like a Mims dog and got his qurks from his sire but thaats another storey...

14. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Man I am watching her now.... She has dug her hole near the axle..it will drop to around 45 to 50 tonight... If I give her the igloo she will go in it... Same same same, that's her game. I call myself making sure she would be very warm this winter with the insulated house. I have seen this before just not to this degree

15. WHOCARES

WHOCARES Pup

Thunder98, will she enter a house off the chain... will she go inside the inclosed section of the above ground? Could it be the noise of the chain rattling or resistance of it dragging on the entrance of the house as she enters it that spooks her? Some can be very quarky and need some creative thinking when it comes to housing and security. Keep her in a pen, try different bedding in her house, different style house, make her a house dog. Just fyi bury your axle... active dogs will get chain wrap or chain bound with an above ground axle set-up. Good Luck!

16. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

Never tried off chain but she will accept her crate if left open, she will go in the above ground kennels plastic dog house. She seems not to accept the wood houses. The axles buried into the ground as well. I'm thinking she was raised in plastic and that's what she is comfortable in. Problem is winter is coming, and plastic won't cut it.... But I will say lately she sniffed it and ran away. Man...She doesn't accept change to well. If I modified the plastic house, she probably would do the same. I wish I had bought doghouse, bowl, collar, rope etc all at once. Sometimes I feel like she doesn't trust me and anything I offer other than food or water. Here's the thing last thing I need is some one telling me I'm not caring for my animals when everything is new & every other dog is ok. Just looks bad when I'm not around. Imo Don't get me wrong I am concerned about her more.

17. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Nice observation and possibly a easy fix???

18. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Build a covering for the plastic house out of wood. Put the plastic house in it and then put straw and wood shavings insulate plastic house

19. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Basically a square box the plastic house will fit inside and then stuff the are between wood and plastic