1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How long after whelping...?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BringBackup, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

How long after whelping does a bitch go into heat?

I asked this question on another forum and got no responses. She whelped on October 14th.

2. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

It depends on your bitch's cycle. If she is on a 6 month cycle then it would be 6 months after her last heat, whether or not she has been bred.

3. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

It's regardless or whether or not she has been bred? That's interesting. She is getting spayed next month, but she's been acting a little more frisky than usual and it was just a thought. Also could be because we just weaned the puppies and she's had a bit more energy than before.

So in theory if she whelped mid October, she approximately was in heat mid August. Six months from that would be mid February. Safe to say I am in the clear to make it another month. Thanks Scratchin Dog.

4. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Technically you should be ok for another month. The cycle can vary however. I have a bitch here who was bred in May and whelped in July (unfortunately pups born dead) but came back in again in Sept. Thats only 4 months since her last heat and she typically cycles every 6 months or so. So if you are planning a spay then you might want to schedule it sooner than a month if you can, just to be on the safe side.

5. Usually around 4 months from the birth date a bitch will come back in.