1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do you tell??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Newb, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Newb

Newb Pup

How do you tell if a dog is cold or just not "on" yet?
    Please discuss and this is purely for interest sake.

2. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Don't think there is a set defined answer. People can't come to an agreement on what a cold dog is, much less put a timetable on it.

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

4. Newb

Newb Pup

i have read the Thread and still dont know how you define cold or non starter.
    how do you tell the difference? how do you know if the dog is cold or if he hasn't started? he shows you interest in hunting but when you take him to hunt he has no interest in it.

is he cold a cur or has he just not started?

5. treezpitz

^^^^^^^^^^^^

6. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Newb its just one of those things you have to decide for yourself, I could tell you one thing and someone else tell you the exact opposite. I mean hell some will even tell you that a cold dog is double dead game! Lmao

7. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

More times than not a dog not started yet will try to pick a dog off him, run, try to avoid the action just won't crank up and scratch first. A truly cold dog will sit there and takes his death and in some cases even scratch just won't take hold. It's up to you to decide if that dog that hasn't cranked up yet is a cur or just too young for action

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Thanks, treez. No sense going through the same recent shit all over again.

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

This is the thing , everyone will have different opinions on the SIGNS of what is considered a cold dog as to what is considered a unstarted dog.

There have been unstarted dogs that show the same signs as cold dogs only to start up later in life....then there have been dogs that show signs of a unstarted dog and NEVER start up in life and so on etc...

The problem with that is not many dog men will have the time or patience to keep a late stater or a cold dog as they are usually given away or culled, hence why they are NOT given another (chance) opportunity to prove themselves later in life thats why MOST people wont really know if there dog is cold or just a really late starter.

Unstarted dogs are usually CONSIDERED YOUNG dogs that havent started up yet or matured yet from 1-3 years old. If the dog doesnt start by 4 years old some people will start to ASSUME/CONSIDER that there dog could be cold.

When it comes to nature nothing is written in stone, as there are always rare exceptions to the rule.

With all that said I wouldnt worry about the labels and terminologies.

For me I like to keep it simple going by experience> "IT IS WHAT IT IS UNTILL PROVEN OTHER WISE".

10. treezpitz

I think Saiy's account has been hacked! Some very good posts/threads have been coming from "saiy" lately lol.

11. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Man when we gonna get a like button!!!

12. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

If you dont already know by now I have 5 different personalities, you never know which one is going to post LMAO

13. treezpitz

I've heard you use that as an excuse but I believe your account has been hacked.

14. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

A dog that isn't "on" is "cold". That could be for many reasons, such as maturity or stimulation, or a combination of factors. Regardless, if they have no interest, they are "cold". That's how I like to look at it. Keep it simple.

15. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

as long as you're not calling a 8 month old pup cold or saying your 16month old gyp is cold so you're going to just breed her I think most will let you live..

16. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Dont often agree with either of you too often, but this was a great respose and well put together...

17. treezpitz

Damn EP, we must be drinking the same tea because I've noticed myself agreeing with you more here lately. What's this world coming to? LOL

18. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Whether a dog can be deemed cold or not is all a matter of how much time you give it. Therefore, most often the more experienced eye has the better handle on the situation. Knowing the prevailing nature of your dogs helps as well. I'd hate to leave such a decision in the hands of an inexperienced dogger..........and I wouldn't.