1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How Do You Salt Cure A Hide?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Buck E. Owens, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I can get full cow hides for $20, just need to know how to safely cure it for the dogs!

and instructions if i can get them, I'm Googling it now!

2. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Ive never done it but i heard you just dump salt on the hide roll it up and put in a cool dry area. Keep putting more salt until the salt stays dry. Let me know what you find.

3. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

we've always stretched em, and ya gotta rub em down with more salt everyday

4. AGame

AGame CH Dog

its kind of a learned process not to easy but u have to make sure u get all the fat and shit off the hide before u start to cure it and yea u keep it somewhere cool and dry and just keep it in salt dont really have to rub it in or anything pretty much keep it covered but like i said if u dont get everything off the hide prior to salt curing u just ruined the hide

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

6. Ctnz

Ctnz Pup

Once they are cured, how do you make it soft?

7. Ctnz

Ctnz Pup

Good luck Buck!

8. matty

matty Big Dog

I did a large batch of hide last year it turned out really good and when the sun comes i will do it again. As space was short i scraped any fat sinew etc off and cut into pieces whilst soft, then just covered the pieces in everyday table salt, after a few days i rubbed more salt into them, i pinned them up or hung them on the washing line to dry for a week or so until they became very hard.

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

you make it plyable by working it like a stiff collar, work it, and even stretch a bit, till its soft and work able, i think you could cur it and use it (when dry) the dogs will make it workable and soft on there own, i would think anyway!

let you know soon enough!

i just got my hides from Full Force Knls today in the mail, can't wait to try them out!:D

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

good advise matty,i'm going to try it that way too,

do you guys think sun is the only way or would a heated area work too?
    or, is sun needed?

11. matty

matty Big Dog

I actually dried a batch of mine in the house airing cupboard it worked a treat but stunk, hence why waiting for more sun! The hide soon came a little softer after the dogs had been on it for a while, but i dried mine until rock solid and it turned out to be very very durable.

12. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

good tip! , the one' i orders finally showed up, they look great! nice and thick,
    :D

13. LivewireT

LivewireT Big Dog

Okay Here it is
    GEt The Hide Spray it off with a water hose to get all that gunk off
    i layed mine out on a wood fence panel on 2 sawhorses
    get a bag of salt from the feed store about 8 bucks
    flip it over hair down
    sprinkle it all over the hide
    put it in a area that catches the wind and get's sun all day
    and when it gets hard cut it up
    up here in michigan we had a week in may that was 80's and sun all day no rain
    and they cured in 1 week
    i made a ton of money after only paying 10 dollars a hide
    but that smell riding home in my explorer with 4 hides almost killed me
    i had my stomach out the window the whole time
    Good Luck Guys

14. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

thanks eh! ;)

15. madboy

madboy Big Dog

l just got a whole cow hide shipped to me from a friend (butcher),obviously he didn't get my drift when l told him l wanted it dryed out :o.So here l am ready to open the huge bag and..................woooohhhh !:eek:............that fecking smell,nocked me out!,anyways l just got hanged today.........man it's covered in cow shit,bits of meat a mud.......so l rang him and he tells me....................l thought you wanted it freshly skinned ? :eek::D
    My question is,......"will l have to use some bleach for the bacteria or will salt be all l need " and how often does it need salting :confused:l would really like some help here,thanks!

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

just lay it out in a sunny area with a lot of salt, table salt even, no road salt... on it, drag in the garage after dark, and back out next day, untill dried out thick peice of dried leather .. easy shit!;)

17. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Thanks bud!l lt took me 2 or so hours cleaning and scraping excessive meat,in some parts l couldn't slice off all the meat,was afraid l might puncture the hide:D So l washed it down with the hose,both side and then laid it over the roof tiles,then l bombed it with a 3kg salt bag:eek::D Just before it rains tonight l'll drag it to shelter like you said.
    lf it works out right.......who knows?..........l might do it for a living:D:DLOL!!!

"Buck, when will l have to salt it again":p:rolleyes:

18. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

you just move salt around the hide with a puddy knife until completely dry.
    [​IMG]

when dry cut to 5-6" wide, and 8-9" long , poke hole with nail instead of cutting, cause holes will be stronger for tying up with rope, instead or ripping because hole was cut in to it.

19. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

Chris, stop troubling yourself and get some ready made from UK for eg.

20. madboy

madboy Big Dog

..........hehehe!..........now l get it;)..........to late for that,the sun is out and the hide is starting to look real good."Since your a mate l'll sell you a piece real cheap":eek::D:D