1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do you pick a pup ?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by koening, Jul 3, 2007.

1. koening

koening Top Dog

I have to pick a puppy now and i don't know how to choose him .... How do you pick out a pup , do you have some quidelines, what about the pups temperament, size, etc... All the pups by the way are very cute and very active, so that makes it harder for me.

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

well there really is no sure fire way to pick a pup.best advice i can give you is first and for most look at the parents.make sure they are bred the way you want and look the way you want them to look.because your pup is going to look pretty close to it's parents.make sure all the animals are clean and kept in good conditions.make sure they are all up to date on their shots and wormings.look at the pedigrees make sure they add up.then make sure the pups are wormed and have their shots that they should have.make sure they are bright eyed with no discharge,clean shiny coat,no distened bellies,nice cold wet nose with no discharge,the under bellie should be nice and clean no red marks or lumps look under the tail at the little hole and make sure that it is not irritated because thats a sure sign of the runs.if you decide on a male or female beforehand tell the breeder to just show you those pups then just pick one you take a shine to that ain't real over the top in the way it acts and the like and you should be fine.

3. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

spend time with each pup individually, tell the breeder what you are looking for, see both parents and spend time with both.

and do the volhard puppy test
    http://www.volhard.com/puppy/pat.htm

4. habs

habs Pup

I just grabbed the one that just ignored me and kept doing what he was doing. I like my dogs to be some what independent and think for them selves.

5. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I did the same thing. The dog I picked was all by herself away from the rest of the litter romping and exploring the puppy pen. She was also the runt. By far the best decision I ever made involving dogs. Now this was 8 years ago, my pre-gamedog days, before I really got into the sport but my "Heidi" is the smartest damn dog Ive ever seen... Pit Bull or otherwise...Good luck & I hope you pick a good one. :)

6. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

How do you pick out a pup
    [font=Verdana','sans-serif]Pick based on pedigree and performance of parents and grandparents. After that crucial step is done, then make sure they’re high percentage dogs, finally reach down and pick one. If having a kid let them pick the one they like best. If you believe there will only be one worth feeding from the entire litter…looking at the wrong breeding. [/font]

7. koening

koening Top Dog

THX for all the answers. I picked my first dog out simple, because he was very independent, and very laid back. Now i noticed a pup who is exactlly like him, but seems like he is an ugly duckling in the litter. I'll try to make the best decision this week, and i'll post some pics with him , and then you'll tell me what you think. :)

8. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

This was discussed on another board recently. The best way to pick a pup is to just pick one out of the litter if they are all healthy. No matter how u try and justify picking a specific pup it has the same chance as all the rest.

This info comes from veteran dogmen who have been around for decades.

9. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I like the typical curious dog that comes to you when you clap, or move your hands around and he likes getting petted by you and likes to explore everything around him while keeping an eye on you.

I just find easier to train a dog like this than a shy dog... i just got a shy pup and since day one i have to make sure everything new for him is on positive way, he doesnt like strange people but when hes on confidence hes a clown that likes to get attention.

I got him at 4 1/2 months coming from USA to Spain and he was terrified due to travel, didnt want to move on leash and would run to a hole if you tried to pet him. I think he lacked socialization but with hard work hes progressing everyday, hes 3 hours a day walkin with me on park with bycicles, people running, kids, other dogs around and sometimes people wanting to pet him and hes getting used to all this noise and people around him.

Now i need him to focus on me when i talk to him out of home, he acts like an authist and he even refuses food when he does something right and i want to let him know. Funny thing is, at home hes does sit,come,stay and all this stuff but at street hes in other world :P

This is just an opinion, im very happy so far with my current pup but i rather a super-social/explorer pup, makes everything easier and you gotta spend less time and sometimes your patience gets consumed fast with those shy pups :rolleyes:

10. Twitty

Twitty Big Dog

First of all never pick a pup just because its cute! I dont breed for cuteness! the way i pick a pup is which pup is runnung the others, which pup eats first, and i must see the parents in action for at least 20 min! now not all people allow that but if they do they really have nothing to hide! remember papers dont make the dog! neither does his looks it the heart breed into him. Dont be afraid to ask if they cull Also! this is something done by dogmen/women who dont mind loosing a dollar because a dog is not worth breeding!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  11. masta of game

masta of game Banned

bump

great read

12. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

The Duchess was the runt too :D. But she was runnin shit. When she came to eat all the other pups backed off. She was half the size of all the other pups but she was the BOSS. She still kicks her brothers ass today. She's 39lbs and her brother is 66lbs. She handles his ass :D.

If someone were looking for a cut pup then they should pick a pup for that reason if thats what they want. Maybe they lookin for a pet and a house dog.