1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do you contain your Pit Bull(s)?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Nov 6, 2004.

?

How do you contain your Pit Bull(s)?

1. Chain

138 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Cable Run

25 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. House

116 vote(s)
    41.3%
  4. Kennel

90 vote(s)
    32.0%
  5. Other

14 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. Running Loose

13 vote(s)
    4.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. real_one

real_one Big Dog

Our preferred method is on 12 to 15 foot 1/4" chains on axle's. However since we are currently in the city we use a cable run, kennels, and all get plenty of time both outside as well as in with long walks everyday. We are ready to get out of the city, and back to the country. Thankfully we have a good size yard.

2. InBearsMemory

InBearsMemory Big Dog

Marty, how do those Laplinks hold up to your dogs? I was under the impression that they are inferior to a cold shut? Do you close them with a sledge hammer or a vice or do just push the chain through those?

3. ANCHOR

ANCHOR Guest

:eek::eek: oh my god....i cant believe half those post's i just read.
    dogs loose, locked in rooms 2-3 dogs together:eek:

aside from that, i understand that we just must have different dogs:rolleyes:
    im truely dissapointed in what ive read. im lost for words really.
    if your in the city, in small housing or appartments, in my experianced opinion, you should not have one of these dogs let alone multiple dogs.
    i think alot of people just say, i want one of them dogs, then go for it. instead of looking at what enviroment they have to suit the dog they want first.
    if you want a pet, then have your pet, have him in the house with you etc. if you need to leave said dog on his own for any period of time, do not contain him in a plastic crate etc.. a poodle could chew its way out of one if he had to. hell, ive seen bulldogs destroy steel mesh cages that were just inapropriate. use the highest grade collars, swivels and a good chain, or a well made steel cage.
    kennel runs should have a roof on them, and if useing a chain inside, make sure the chain is short enough that the dog can't get half way over the top. ive heard people say theyve trained there dog not to jump. well maybe, but a dog is a dog and it only takes one time to muck up real good.
    if people really want to see these dogs around in the future, theyd better really smarten up and stop taking risk's , think'n ah, it will be alright...cause that aint the case. if you come here and read threads like this, giving good advise and you go away and do a half ass job, you got youre selves to blame and no one else. thing is you stuff it up for all those who do there best to keep it right.
    if ya wanna see the way i keep mine, youll find another thread with some pix also.
    ;)good luck, D'S........

ps... rope is not an option, be it heavy duty or not...wtf

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2009
  4. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

My Akita, Border Collie, Chihuahua, and Min Pin/Jack mix are loose in the main part of the house. Jaeger (APBT), Gidget (Min Pin), and Cuda (Min Pin) are loose in my bedroom. Eros (Golden mix) is on a chain out back, Elu (Dogo) is on a chain out front, Johnny (APBT) is in a 10'x25' kennel run (concrete bottom, chain link topper, 9 gauge chain link, the bottom has tension wire and is set in the concrete) on the side of the house, and the rest of the dogs are inside the house in "the dog room" in crates.

5. i keep some on chain setups, some in kennels where i use composite deck flooring and roofing, and sometimes i'll let some sleep inside with us. i have to keep the kennels patched up, as my female tends to break the welds on 9 gauge paneling and rips the wiring...leaving enough space to escape. i should have made my own kennels out of 5/8" steel tubing (old prison style) lol. they stay nice and clean though ;) if i had enough room, i'd go with chain setups and rockdust..much like Marty uses along with some well built housing.

6. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Two on chain set ups, two small ones in a kennel, they are JR mixes, maybe??? and two in the house, China and Tinker. We crate when needed. So far, so good.

7. jumper3202

jumper3202 Big Dog

I have a privacy fence all around my dogs and i do have 3 welded steel kennels that are 10 by 10,tool and bolt free needs neither to assemble or in use.... I keep the yard seven dusted and sanitary also;)....

8. Maruccio

Maruccio Banned

I have a box and a garden ;) I would contain these by chain but i love my garden and they can make mess on my lovely flowers:mad:

9. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

This is how i contain 3 of my dogs, and then the other 2 stay in the house at night and on chain spots in the day time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  10. I voted house and kennel - but I have to specify. Was the kennel option intended to mean outdoor kennels only? If so I need to change one of my responses - if kennel covers indoor crating as well, then I'm all set.

My Akita has free roam of the house when I am not there. She is a natural guard and protection dog, and patrolling the house is "work" for her.

Any pits I have had in the past or will have in the future are crated in a strong metal dog crate when I cannot be home. They have toys, blankets, food, water, and usually a deer leg bone. The crate is in a room that my Akita does not have access to, just in case there is any issues, I don't want cage fighting to occur.

I don't think it is smart to leave two potentially dog aggressive breeds unsupervised and alone together. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  11. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I don't think it is smart to leave two potentially dog aggressive breeds unsupervised and alone together. Ever.[/quote]

I agree 100%!!

12. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

Purepit you got a nice set up but have your dogs ever goten out of those?

13. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

I like that set-up to but I don't think mine would stay in it. :rolleyes:

14. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

The male has gotten out once. I ran out of money around the end of construction so, i put a hard plastic roof on the pen and he got out in about 30 minutes. What i did to fix it, is cap off the top of the pen with ply wood and then put the roof on top of the ply wood. I'm sure alot of you guys see the small wire and think they can bite threw it, but the wholes are to small to get there teeth into it. Unless you have a under shot dog, there teeth can't get into the wholes. These pens are 2 1/2 years old and i have only had one escape and that was when i just built it.
    I personally don't like chain setups for a few reasons, but they do work none the less. Where i live i have possums, raccoons and stray dogs around. A chain spot won't protect the dog from other animals walking into his/her chain spot. When i have a dog in heat or in a keep, they are alway protected from everything. Their feces fall threw the floor space and they can't walk on it much if at all, so they catch worms much less. They don't have to worry about collar burns on the throat or anything that might make my neighbors curious. I know alot of people that have had accidental breedings from dogs getting lose from chain spots or dogs getting killed for one reason or another from an accident. Don't get me wrong a good chain spot is hard to beat, but i like my pens and haven't had an problems with the public seeing them or accidents of any kind since i had them. I also have a 6 ft privacy fence around my back yard and a 4 ft chain link fence in the front of my house. The only accidents i get is when i walk the dogs, thats it.

15. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

Its definately an awesome setup. I would love to do something like that. Definately understand what your sayin bout the accidental breedings. That thin wire does def scare me. My dogs wouldnt just chew it they would scratch at it and headbutt out of it it fast than sh*t.

16. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I have alot of dogs within my kennel group, and i've held the worst of the worst in these kennels. To be honest, the blueprint says to add 9 gage fencing ontop of the little wire you see, but its not neccessary, honestly. i welcome all respectable people from this board to bring your dog and try it out. If your dog gets out, i'll give you $100. No bullshit here, just send me a private messege and we can try it out. I am 100% serious!!

P.S. Bring your own lock, that way you cant say i move the dog and put it back.

17. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

I would love to try it cuz when i do make mine your way would be much easier then what i had planned. IM not callin you a liar in anyway. I do believe you it works or else why would you still use it.

18. InBearsMemory

InBearsMemory Big Dog

I like PurePits setup as well. Those above ground kenels are great, especially if you have a lot of wild critters making their way on to your property. You can always reinforce these by adding an additional layer of thicker gauge wire to the outside.

19. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I have the whole gamut. Chains ( car axle etc), zip lines only for daytime, kennels, (roofed) at night and house dogs. I have 7 dogs presently.

20. GAME BRED 916

GAME BRED 916 Banned

i keep my boy on a cable (even tho i dont like it) he'll jump all the fences in my back yard and we got horses close to us. my girl she's well behaved so she stays in the house or if not it the garage!