1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do you breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Yung-One, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

I know that sounds like a stupid question but I am really wanting to know. I want to breed my male to a bitch with great confirmation. But I don't know the owner of the female. Do I just call them up to ask if they are willing to breed her or what?

2. AC

AC Big Dog

Well you can give them your number, show them your dog, and let them know you have your male available for stud service. Then they'll take it from there whether they want to go ahead and do a breeding with your dog or not.

3. good advice, but in my mind the first thing u should ask yourself is, has the dog proven itself worthy of being bred?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2004
  4. AC

AC Big Dog

True texas but we also have to remember that a lot of people breed for confirmation as well and we cannot change their minds just try to steer them into the right direction. I like a good confirmationally correct game dog. But sometimes you can't have both :)

5. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

I know you guys probably think it's lame but when I hear the expression "has he proven himself worthy of being bred" I don't really understand. What traits does this forum feel a male should posses to be "worthy" of being bred. The only way to test a dogs true gameness is illegal. So how pray tell should I test him to see if he is indeed "worthy"

Damn I'm a smart a**. No really I do want to know. That just came out the wrong way.

6. true alligator

7. pingers

pingers Pup

try looking into the dogs mind. do some judging for yourself. For instance, does the dog have a friendly attitude towards children? or does the dog have a sense of humour and not a stubborn frame of mind? Say to yourself am i prepared to do the hard yards that come with the dog? Or does the dog act sensible when left alone? Will the dog do as it is told? Does it look like an exceptional dog? Will it perform walks or runs when you want it to? Basically it comes down to both the owners. It's possible, but for me dogs are well bred if both the owners are aware of an out come and are thinking positive on the same basis. Experience is everything. If you don't know the owner of the female you want to breed to, I would suggest you get in contact some how and say hey i have a male dog, name the breed and describe your dog in possitive words, Then ask the owner if there interested in breeding? You see for someone to let there dog have pups to another dog is a big ask, but if so and it goes ahead you have got to keep the pups warm, make sure the mother is feeding them, also give the mother pup some time away from her pups every while. and you would have to do those simple sort of things until there about eight weeks old. Then the hard part is finding them the right owners feeling secure to pass the pups over to new homes. Well i hope i put in some important infomation, just some important advice to breeding pups. Put it to good use.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004
  8. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

Thank You, I want to breed my male but I think now he's too young. He's 1 2mos. I want to wait until he's matured to make a positive breeding that will help the breed. My male has absolutely no human aggression whatsoever. He's a very handsome boy with good confirmation. His only drawback is that his bite is slightly off. Which is why I don't show him. If I can mate him to a proper bitch though there would be some amazing pups. But the thing is I don't want to have to start my own yard to breed. I'm not a breeder. But thank you again for the information. I'm just doing my homework.

9. AC

AC Big Dog

If your dog has an undershot or overshot he can and will pass it on to his offspring. It's a proven fact. Just so you know :) Not saying all of them but it is a possibility some will have a less than perfect bite.

10. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

Be that as it may. If you had a male that was in every other aspect above average. Would you take the chance at breeding him, knowing that he could pass that on?

11. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

But how do you know he is above average...?? As long as that dog has passed whatever test you want it to pass, in whatever field you wanna pursue, then he could be bred. And IF you male is worthy, people with bitches will find you, again, IF he is worthy...

BB

12. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

BBK is right Just because a dog looks good, is people friendly (as all APBTs are supposed to be) doesnt make the dog breeding material. You have to remember the thing called kennel blindness lol ...meaning that we all think our dogs are above average (in our own eyes) but that doesnt mean they are! What one person likes or consideres to be good traits arent necassarily what another would like.

Since your trying to produce conformationally correct dogs..you should really show your dog or at least have a trained judge evaluate him and give a professional opinion. Now..even a Gr CH show dog is not perfect in every way ..there is no such dog that is 100% conformationally correct. . But..as was stated. If you are trying to produce conformationally correct dogs, then you would not use a dog with a major fault in your breeding program . Also think to yourself why would anyone use my dog when they can go out and breed their exceptional female to a CH showdog ?? You may find a owner that would look past all this but more than likely what you'd be left with are females that arent up to snuff or people looking to breed to make a quick dollar (none of which this breed needs) with bans and overpopulation, there is more to consider in breeding. The stud owner has it easy lol. They dont have to take care of the litter, find homes, cull, etc. So ask yourself are you adding to the problem by breeding or helping ??

Good luck..no one can tell you what to do but hopefully with the informaion you received you can make an informed decision.

BTW..if I was breeding show dogs then no, I wouldnt use a dog with serious faults that could be passed on to the pups. That would defeat the purpose.

13. AC

AC Big Dog

Yung one, if I was trying to create exceptional offspring I would not use a dog with a less than perefect anything as a brood dog. But that's just my opinion. Like I said it is genetic and it will show up in the pups. Yes it's a risk but I'm stating that because you plan to do it to produce show quality offspring and you can't really do that breeding a dog that has something that causes himself not to be "show quality". Just my opinion :)

14. MTNDOG

MTNDOG Big Dog

Rocksteady: "Since your trying to produce conformationally correct dogs..you should really show your dog or at least have a trained judge evaluate him and give a professional opinion."

You asked what would make your dog worthy to breed??? He is still young so try to show him in the conf. ring see how he does...Title him in the show ring and he will be worthy to breed, if that is what you are looking for.

15. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“But I don't know the owner of the female.”
    If you don’t know the owner of the bitch, what do you know about the bitch that would make you want to do the breeding? What would be the purpose of said breeding?

16. swosprey

swosprey Pup

Sounds to me like your breeding for looks...

What are you gonna do with the pups? I mean there are a ton of great breeders who can provide anything you want and have the experience. There is a lot more to breeding than sticking dogs to
    gether. Real top breeders are like doctors at what they do. I've had bulldogs since I was a
    kid and still wouldn't breed them. You have to cull and know what type of traits your bringing out,
    then you have to hope your dogs throwing fire... The breed doesn't need more scatter bred dogs,
    it needs responsible owners who can take care of what they have. So many people get bulldogs
    as a status symbol and then when that dog shows what a bulldog is they freak and get rid of them.
    You might be able to handle your dog, but what about the people you sell pups too?
    You never know how many irresponsible owners we are away from the next breed ban.
    My advice is if you need another bulldog, do the research, ask around and get the dog you want,
    don't think that because you own a good dog that you can breed good dogs. I'm not trying give you a
    hard time, I just always try to put the breed first.

17. very well put

18. BDK

BDK oo7

ok advice from a peddler like myself dont breed teh dogs

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2004
  19. Yung-One

Yung-One Big Dog

I thank everyone for their comments and advice. The only thing that I'm trying to get across is that my male has good genes. He comes from BeR's Kennels in Maple Valley, WA. Most of their dogs are used in weight pull and shows. They have apbts and staffs. This is the link:

http://hometown.aol.com/berapbts/myhomepage/index.html

The bloodline is good and they have produced champions there. I was just thinking that it would benefit the breed here on the east coast if I could possibly breed him to the right bitch. Different people view helping the breed in different ways. I may not be a professional "breeder" but since I am a responsible owner I also feel a need to help sustain a breed of dog that I love. I understand that we all are passionate about the breed. But I see from a lot of you, that "human aggression" doesn't just pertain to pets. If my views don't coincide with anyone elses that is my right. I'm an american. Thanks to everybody again.

20. JC-Pitbulls

JC-Pitbulls Top Dog

I just looked at the site, but why do they have a dog for sale @ $200, but the stud fee is $500. They have some nice looking dog's. Why is the stud fee more expensive than the dog. The dog is Doc Holiday. Yung One , which dogs is your dog from.