1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do I stop this behavior?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by pitbull_24, Oct 20, 2010.

1. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

What do you mean by aggressive? HA or DA or just hyper wanting to get off the chain? "Fine when let off or put into a kennel with a run". So your saying the dog(s) will go after a human or animal when put back on the chain but fine when released off his chain? Maybe the dog dog was aggressive in the first place but was never noticed? Said dog was probably a pup when put on a chain but finally matured to a bulldog? There's so many scenarios, you can't blame the so called "aggressiveness" from putting the dog on a chain.

"Chaining them fcks with there head" :crap: How? Some dogs just don't do well in kennel runs. I've seen dogs ruin their teeth from trying to escape a kennel run. There's been yard accidents because the kennel run wasn't bulldog proof. These dogs are escape artist and will find a way to get out of a run IF not properly contained. Don't get me wrong, their are dogs that can be kept fine in a run but most do not and that's where a PROPER chain set up is needed. IMO a proper chain set up is and will always be the best containment for bulldogs. Heck, the dogs i've seen are more happier on the chain than a kennel run...

2. supertank

supertank Big Dog

I did ask why? Chaining is something I probably relate to guard dogs. All I know is that out of every dog that I have known to live on a chain they have either been nasty , constantly running away or have territory issues. I ask why because I realize a lot on this forum chain and must have good reason. I do think the most important thing in both situations is TIME spent with the dogs. Maybe in this case not chaining might help could be worth a go it is still young.

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I just took on a dog who was chained for the first 3 1/2 years of her life she has basically been a yard dog. Now she is an indoor dog who sleeps in our bed and is now crated when need be. She is the sweetest most gentle dog she is no different from any other dog I have ever owned and I am not against chaining I just keep my dogs indoors I also don't have a whole yard full of dogs either. So I don't know where you get the idea that chaining a dog causes those issues she also was house broken in less then a week and walks on a leash just fine doesn't chew up the house or show any sort of territory issues she even plays with my younger pup both of my dogs are game bred. Chaining is actually better than crating because they have the room to run around on chain spots vs being in a crate where they can't be active like that. When you have multiple dogs in a yard they must be secured at all times and chaining is the safest and best option.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
  4. supertank

supertank Big Dog

thanks nice to hear:) My dog was opposite was caged for 6 months as a pup owner didnt have any time for him and he was in bad shape. He was with four other pig dogs and had a hard start to life. We got him at 9 months gave him his first collar and food and built some muscles. His spirit was not broken and is a healthy confident dog. He now is a house dog too and loving it.

5. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

That's awesome:) I am glad you were able to give your dog a good home that is all that matter's !! Yeah I know sometimes people think chaining is mean but when you think about it bulldogs are very very clever escape artists and when you have 5+ dogs on one yard it's kind of difficult to keep them housed indoors. Chaining is really for their protection and like I said when you have them on chain spots they can run around in circles and they have more room to move around in general vs being crated or kenneled. There is also a right and a wrong way to chain a dog some people don't properly chain their animals and that's wrong. My girl transitioned very easily to being indoors and I honestly couldn't ask for a better dog. :) I have never chained any of my dogs but know many people who have and I am able to walk up to any of them to be greeted with lot's of loving.

6. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

No offense to the op, but it sounds like the options are not being tryed and tested properly, the only way out of all the methods tryed here are going to work is like with any training needs to be done properley, surley done right at least two of the options would make a slight behaverial difference, its just the way a dogs mind works. But to say "ive tried everything" and shut down every suggestion made as "already done" either to me sounds like he hasnt tryed enough and maybee lacks the patience needed for a slightly problem dog.
    Like i said dont take offense but i would give 100% gaurentee that if i had tryed all above mentioned methods i def would have got a difference unless the dog has real mental issues, rare but it happens.

Am i the only person thinking there is not enough effort maybee??

7. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I got the same feeling and they seem not to really want to try anything and have no patience at all with their dog to be hauling off smacking it when it does something wrong. I even suggested the dog have sight and ears checked with a vet just to be sure there is no health problems going on. The bottom line is if you want results your going to have to be patient and put in some effort here it won't go away without putting in the work. I didn't want to say anything but I got the same feelings about the OP. I hope they will take some advice from someone here because continuing to smack the dog out of frustration is just going to create a bigger problem in the long run IMO.

8. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Some dogs are just off and dont need to brethe anymore.I myself would put in a certain amount of effort then say fuck this dog. If the dog came from another yard Id give it a bit more leway but If I raised it and the fucker was acting that damn strange and there is no medical explanation. The dog aint sound and never will be.

9. supertank

supertank Big Dog

First off " If someone walks up to the pretty doggie and gets bit" cage him!! This pup needs more time put into him not punishment. Dragging his ass out for a smack not so motivating.

10. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Bingo!!!!!!!

11. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Pitbull 24, I have had alot of human aggressive bulldogs and this is my advice. You need to be extremely experienced to own one like you have. If your not experienced in handling this particuliar dog I would give him to someone who is or put him down. If I owned him, I would just let him have his way. Quit hitting him because it obviously isn't working. Just let him be. Quit fucking with him. If he dont' want to come out of the house, screw him. Let him stay in there. He will chill out eventually. I got a house dog that growls at me when I pet him, lol! He's a little mental. If I try to pick him up he growls. I tried everything to get him to knock it off. Then I figured, screw its just his personality. He follows me around like a little baby. So, we just have a strange relationship.

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Very Good advice :D

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

these dogs need to be on trains . if not you are not a responsible dog owner , if they're outside not being watched . they are not naturally agressive . but i told you how to get him to like you . i gave a dog to a guy and he did not take care of it . i went to get the dog back and the guy said he will bite you . i said no he want and got my pistol . i walked out to the dog and took him off the chain and put a leash on him . the dog was scared . he went with me to my truck and i put him in the kennel . i got home and put him in a kennel and went to feed him . he growled at me and wanted to bite . so he did'nt get any food that night . i went out to check him the nexted day and he growled at me . i went to give him food and he wanted to bite again . i did'nt feed him again . the nexted day he was happy to see me and was calmer so i feed him . i was the only one that could clean his kennel and feed him . so i thought if he gets lose he will bite . after a year he would still not let anyone but me feed him or tough him . so i put him down . sometimes this is what you have to do as a responsible dog owner . if you give him lots of walks and stop and pet him and let him sit in your lap . and he want quit growling . you need to put it down. don't give it to someone unless you know he has worked with dogs like that before and brought good dogs out of them . or put it down .

14. Holdndown

Holdndown Pup

sad but true

15. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I agree fully ;) to me the only way I would cull a dog is if it seriously wanted to eat me alive every chance it was given and if he only does this when he is in his house you can either take some advice that has been given to you hear or let him be and handle him when he is out and stable.

16. sidonis

sidonis Pup

17. pitbull_24

pitbull_24 Top Dog

I said I would let everyone know what worked, so idk why everyone decided to chime back in and say Im not doing anything first of all, and second, I have a kid, and I sure as hell aint gonna "just let him have his way"(the dog). So when my kid is being bad and throwing a temper tantrum, should I just let him have his way too??? :rolleyes:

18. pitbull_24

pitbull_24 Top Dog

And he is not HA all the time. He just had a couple incidents where he was protecting his stupid house!

And he is also not literally chained, and jmo, but "chaining them fcks with there head" is bs. He has a cable not a chain (which he cant and wont break).

19. supertank

supertank Big Dog

fcks with their head bit strong a statement but have seen it, most likely dog was always this way or neglect. do know a guard dog that completely changed when put in a box (thats what I call them) He was ready for a bullet cos to hard to handle. Most people here box their working dogs eg hunting sheep cattle. These arent always pbs :D just thinking about the sheep. I dont have a problem chaining my dog up for short periods but he is quieter and calmer in his box. btw I have kids too I found putting them in their kennels worked for them tantrums lol:D Hope it all works out for you

20. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Chains do not make dogs aggressive Period.That is total bullshit. Some dogs are off. Other dogs have shitty owners.