1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How do I get my Dog to use a springpole?!?!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by semo, Apr 26, 2007.

1. semo

semo Top Dog

He honestly doesnt seem too interested,

I am using a couple of things made out of "firehose" type material

i can sort of coax him into sort of biting onto it, and when I dont have one hanging he doesnt mind playing a little tug etc. i sort of wonder if it is too soft for him or something, it is almost like he is unsure or something..

does anyone have any ideas how to get my dog to like the springpole?

I have it low enough that he can grab at it w/o really jumping .

He likes playing tug sometimes w/ rope and w/ my kong frisbee, so i just dont get it.

Thanks

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Loki wont work the pole by herself either. Some dogs need to warm up to it, others just don't have the right kind of drive. All you can really do is encourage them. I would go out and grab the rope, dangle the bite surface over her head, tease her with it. Sometimes I'd pull so that it would slingshot away, and she'd chase it. Get involved with the play, and see if it works. Praise and encourage him when he shows an interest.

3. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

I agree.

You can build drive to an extent but if they don't have much it isn't going to be quite as fun for the dog or you.

Try a flirt pole or maybe the rope or a hide on the springpole instead of the firehose

4. that's what i was gonna suggest trying a hide. it worked wonders for nick on the springpole.

5. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

I would like to know as well?....My male only likes to play tug of war but when I use the spring pole and the hide is a little above my head he won't get it.

6. mansch

mansch Big Dog

Different strokes for different folks! My female will not touch a spring pole, but will pull a small house (LOL), swim, play fetch & frisbee until she falls over, climb trees, flirtpole , bike rides, etc.... but shows not interest in a a springpole! I wouldn't worry about it, do things your dog enjoys doing! :D

BoogiemanBlood likes this.
  7. that is good advice right there. ;)

8. i had to tie my dogs favorite toy to it to get her to wanna play with it..

just keep trying diff things.. till you get something your dog loves

9. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Yeah, Tess isn't interested in the spring pole, but loves the flirt pole.

10. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

from my experience a dog that is chained or kenneled all day .will be happy to get out and do anything you want..and a dog that pretty much does what it wants all day...is like(hmmm maybe later)..im not impressed by dogs that hang on hide..because hide dont bite back;) ...its like saying i can punch the heavy bag all day long...and the first punch i take i turn and run...why because the heavy bag didnt hit back..but to each his own.

11. Jrflo

Jrflo Pup

I had to use some of Trey's toys to get him interested.

Here he is with a cloth tug toy that has been destroyed.
    [​IMG]

and here with a Kong retriver toy
    [​IMG]

Although my spring pole is not your conventional type it works for him. The rope is looped over the branch and tied to a eye bolt. The bracnh gives plenty of spring action.