1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

House-Train a Puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Deep south, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Deep south

Deep south Big Dog

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=768><TBODY><TR><TD width=40></TD><TD vAlign=top width=450><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2 height=27>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1] House-Train a Puppy

</B>[/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]A puppy isn't born knowing that your carpet is not an acceptable place to relieve himself. Here's a relatively easy way to train him that doesn't require punishment. [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Steps: [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]1. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Watch your puppy's behavior while relieving himself outdoors so you can detect the warning signs and intercept him when indoors. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]2. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Stay outside as often as possible during nice weather so your puppy can develop a preference for eliminating outdoors. Help him develop a liking for surfaces like dirt and gravel by taking him outdoors to eliminate after eating, playing and sleeping ' or, ideally, every 15 minutes. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]3. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]When it's time, go straight to a predesignated area and don't leave until the puppy urinates. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]4. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Tuck your puppy into a cozy crate in your bedroom at night. Dogs are den animals and don't like to soil the area where they sleep. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]5. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Carry the puppy outdoors when he becomes restless in the middle of the night, and wait until he's finished relieving himself. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]6. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Supply a litter box (filled with sand or kitty litter) during the night, unless you plan on getting up every couple of hours to take him outside. If you do want to take him outside, set your alarm if you sleep too deeply to notice that your puppy has started fidgeting, and carry him outside at those times. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]7. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Carry the puppy outside first thing in the morning so he won't soil the floors as he walks outside. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]8. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Be consistent with training. Consult a pet behaviorist if you have problems. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top align=right>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]9. [/size][/font] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Reward your dog with puppy treats and praise every time he successfully eliminates outdoors. [/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Tips: [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD colSpan=2>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Corrections and punishments for indoor accidents will only teach your puppy not to eliminate around you (even when outdoors), but won't stop him from eliminating indoors when you're not around. If you catch the puppy in the act, say 'No!' sharply and carry the puppy outside. [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG] </TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Warnings: [/size][/font]</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][size=-1]Avoid giving your dog the message that relieving himself is wrong. Don't rub his nose in the mess, and don't hit him with a newspaper. [/size][/font]

Do yall have any other good ideas you could post on House training
    come on post up a few secrets...
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

I have a female thato is house trained, but when my girlfriend is home, and I am not, sometimes the dog will pee on the kitchen floor while staring at the girlfriend. How do you remedy that?

3. Classic

Classic Big Dog

Could it be that maybe your girlfriend doesn't recognize the signs the pup gives for needing to go out?
    If this is not the case...
    see if your girlfriend will do a little obedience work with the pup...
    walking and healing on a leash, etc...
    once the pup starts to develop a relationship with her
    the pup will wish t please her too.

4. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

The dog is 7 months, we've had her since she was 5 or 6 weeks. My girlfriend has worked with her a lot. We work different shifts, so she had to work on training when I wasn't home. The gyp has always seemed to favor me and sort of have a little disregard for the girlfriend. She will do this even after she has been outside. When I'm home and the girlfriend isn't, I can keep the gyp inside all day and she won't go until she gets outside. Could it be a disrespect sort of thing, towards the girlfriend?

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

It could be that the dog feels dominant over your girlfriend & therefore doesn't feel that she should have to obey her. Does the girlfriend work one-on-one with the dog even when you're not there?

6. GT99

GT99 Pup

break up with the girlfriend lol

J/K

7. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

I figured it was dominance. The gyp never listens to anything the girlfriend says, but she's completely opposite with me. She will listen to every word and follow me around constantly. When she was a pup she wouldn't have anything to do with the girlfriend, sometimes even nip at her if she tried to pick the gyp up?

GT99, I thought about your idea too..LOL

8. Classic

Classic Big Dog

"I figured it was dominance. The gyp never listens to anything the girlfriend says, but she's completely opposite with me. She will listen to every word and follow me around constantly. When she was a pup she wouldn't have anything to do with the girlfriend, sometimes even nip at her if she tried to pick the gyp up? "

You are probably right...

You need to let G/F do all obeience and care for this dog for at at least 2 weeks which should give her time to change her attitude with the G/F.

Go back to crate training and let G/F do all the work...
    No reward from you during these 2 weeks...no sleeping in your bed, no rides in your truck (.)
    If you want to correct it.

9. Classic

Classic Big Dog

I will add that some dogs tend to be absolutely a one-owner type dog, but absolute defiance of this sort should not be ignored.

10. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

We've tried the crate thing, actually we do it now, nothing seems to work for her. She'a a great dog, but she just doesn't like the G/F. She doesn't show aggression towards her now, that was only when she was real young. She just defies the G/F.

11. pit stop

pit stop Pup

I agree that learning to understand your pups body language is important, to be able to anticipate in time to get him outside when an accident is about to occur.

Most of the time accidents can be avioded for the most part by being consistent in taking the pup outside to a designated area at regular intervals....immediately after waking, eating, drinking, periods of extra activity,etc.,etc...

..another thing I have been doing for a very long time is to "demonstrate" the desired behavior... as soon as I get up I go into the front yard and "demonstrate" upside a tree...pup follows suit. Some will think this is crazy, but I promise it is extremely effective (..by the way, I live in the woods with NO neighbors visible.)

Pit Stop

12. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

LMAO! FUNNY PIT STOP
    Had to say it - I've never heard of that.

13. Classic

Classic Big Dog

Something is missing...
    you may be crate training the pup , but is the G/F doing all the care for this dog?
    That is the only way you can show the pup who is Boss.
    I am not trying to be rude , but is this your first dog of this breed?
    Persistence is the only thing that pays, and that means doing what I said for AT LEAST 2 weeks...so what if she acts good after 3 days...if you let her off the hook anytime before then she has won, and you will pretty much be forced to get rid of the dog, the G/F or put the dog on a chain spot in the yard.
    Pittbulls, AmStaff's, AB's, Bull Terriers, and even Jack Russel's....
    many are born with the Alpha personality and will refuse to submit
    at all if they can get by with it, and will refuse to submit to a weak master (i.e.the G/F)

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

My shar pei/cane corso is the one that I have dominane issues with. In his mind, the chain of command goes: me, him, my husband, the other female dogs in their own order, & then the other males. He used to be like your pup blatantly disregarding orders accompanied by bad behavior. He would even growl at an old roomate when she stepped foot out of her own room. I had not ever dealt w/this type of issue (he also had probs w/me, since I was the only one who stood b/n him & complete control), & it took & still takes daily work. To be honest, I resorted to harsher (no I didn't abuse my dog) methods than I've ever used, but after a years work, he is my best dog. I suggest contacting a trainer. I have a number for the guy who works with all my dogs here in Louisiana & even though your probably out of state, he has a toll free number & would be happy to talk to you.

15. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

No, this is not my first. I've been with this breed for many years, but this gyp is by far the most stubborn. The G/F does everything. Sometimes the gyp is really good with her, others, she is oblivious to the fact that the G/F exists. All of our others listen to us both. This gyp just attatched to me. I belive that it is because the G/F is weak and will not be stern with the dog.

16. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

You hit the nail on the head