1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hot Hot Hot

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Gamest, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Gamest

Gamest Pup

Before too long the heat of the summer will be here. Please remember that your dogs need their shade and water. I know ya'll might not have shade at all times, if any one can suggest a good art shade, this is the time to share the knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2004
    the_flamingo likes this.
  2. GYD

GYD Pup

We are lucky to be "in the woods", so during the summer months we rearrange the dog houses to be under a tree with tons of shade. If I wasn't so lucky, I'd probably plant a tree! LOL Or use some wood, I like things simple myself. Have heard of people using car hoods, but that's not my style. ~YIS

3. AJUST67

AJUST67 Pup

I HAD THAT PARTICULAR PROBLEM LAST SUMMER AND MY DOGS REALLY SUFFERED. wHAT i HAVE DONE FOR THIS YEAR WAS PLACE SOME SHEETS OF PLYWOOD HINGED AT THE TOP TO CREATE A WOODEN TENT EFFECT. IT GIVES THE DOGS PLENTY OF SPACE, PLUS I PURCHASED SOME OF THE KIDDIE PLASTICE $5 POOLS SO MY DOGS COULD LAY IN IT TO COOL OFF.

4. X

X Banned

Those are all some great ideas! I'm excited to hear of more.

5. Gamest

Gamest Pup

I like that kiddie pool idea. I use a 55 gal. barrel fastened down to a pallet then a 1/2 in. piece of ply wood ( 38 in. x 4 ft. ) comming off the side with three legs for support. It aint tha best but it works.

6. MMK

MMK Guest

i got trees so it has never been a worry of mine. but if i had to i would just take a couple sheets of ply wood and some 2x4 and make and A frame learn 2.

7. gator

gator Big Dog

I have always framed out a piece of plywood with 2x4`s and stuck a couple of short 4x4`s off the side of the house to attach one side of the top and attached the other side to the house. I used to use tin but the tin got pretty hot. The dogs also dig a hole under their shaded area to get further away from it. Of course I dont use the whole sheet of plywood.

8. Gamest

Gamest Pup

When they dig there holes in there shade. i clean out there water buckets( IN THA EVENIN) i pour out the old water in the hole so tha next day is is wet and cool for them to lay in JUST AN IDEA and its what i do.

9. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

I have used the kiddie pool for the past 3 years with great success. They are cheap and the dogs seem to live in them in the summer. Plastic 55 gal drums are readily available around here and using em like Gamest was saying is the best way because you get them up off the ground when it does rain.

Of course, the best option is trees which I have.

I am planning on this summer actually building a long cover (60 feet) to provide additional shade and to help during the stormy season.

10. Gamest

Gamest Pup

HEY JMAN when u get ur SHADE built please email me a blueprint.:)

11. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

Yea JMAN. I like that idea you got. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to have a blueprint for that shade too.

YIS

Knock 'Em Out

12. J M A N

J M A N Big Dog

No Problem Gamest/Knock em Out

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2004
  13. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

THANKS FOR THE KIDDY POOL IDEA.

14. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

a pallet leaned against side of house hey it works plus the spaces let a breeze through it looks redneck but works

15. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

My yard is well shaded by the thick, lush foliage of fruit trees.

16. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

hey jaman if ya don't mind hit me up with those blue prints

17. dhcrew

dhcrew Big Dog

we have plywood covers on our runs, and the runs with room have a kiddie pool also......i also go out a couple times a day and spray everyone off thouroughly........that is also their playtime since they love to play in the spray. they all take turns being loose to run, play and swim then i spray them off again and put them back in their runs.....kiddie pools work great, my dogs lay in them and under them all day through the heat.

18. bdub

bdub Top Dog

i live in the mountains hahahhaha and i got a load of 5 gallon buckets for water

19. Norvell57

Norvell57 Top Dog

for one of my dogs i have a dog igloo and i built a platform over it adn it extends out in front of it so in the winter they can lay on top of it in the sun and there is no way for sun to shine inside of the house

20. MRS_FIFTY

MRS_FIFTY Guest

My girl has her own house (in a way), she has a fully covered shed, half of it has play sand in it which keeps cool. She too has a kiddie pool.