1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Horse Meat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Buck E. Owens, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

This is for the Europeans more than the North Americans, i would think anyway but..., how long does it take horse meds. to work there way out of there system so they could be fed, Or Bobby Rooster maybe you would know?

I've got someone offering me a lame horse from a fence accident, for $200, healthy, just lame, how long would i have to wait till the meds., are not an issue to feed the dogs the meat?

I'm assuming its just on regular, horse de-wormers only!
    :confused:

with out asking them to many questions, tipping them off its dog food,:o

2. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

When we have purchased an animal, we ask for copies of any Vet records. Common enough request when you will be caring for the animal purchased.

It would make sense to ask the current owner if the horse has been given any medication, and when they were given, so as not to overdose the horse once it is in your care.

Shows that you are trying to be responsible about the proper care of the animal you are purchasing.

3. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Sorry, forgot to add.

Every medication is different so until you know which ones were given, you can't really investigate to find out how long it takes to clear their system. Unless you want to look at all of them LOL.

There are also some drugs that cannot be given to an animal that is to be used as a food source. If that horse received any one of those, it will not be a good candidate for meat use.

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Perfect advise, this particular one had been in two fence accidents in the last year, and they have labeled "Lame" now? after $1000 in vet bills, its for sale for $200

I DO have the space to wait the meds. out too, so either way....

Thanks, DryCreek;)

5. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Is there any amount of time that these drugs take to weed out, or once its takin' , its no longer good for meat ever??:confused:

My step moms a vet , but also a horse lover, so I'm avoiding asking here at all!:o:o

6. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

It all depends on the medication,I seriously doubt anything they give the horse would hurt a dog,I've had dogs eat cows that died just following receiving shots.But what I'd do is just be straight forward and ask the horses owner what he give the horse and then look at the bottle of medicine and it'll tell you right on the bottle.I doubt the owner cares to much what you do with it as long as he gets his $200,and if he does,there are animals dieing everywhere for free anyway.If the horse has only had wormer,I'm sure it won't hurt the dogs.

7. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks, I'm going to ask what they have given the horse....Good tips and advise DryCreek!;):D

8. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Rule of thumb that my Dad goes by is a month, if i were to eat it, i'd wait that long maybe a little more, but if for the dogs to eat I would wait atleast 2 1/2 weeks.

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks Booby, And DryCreek for your help!!!!!!:):)

10. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I'm a get it , i have enought hay to feed it for at least two months anyway, i just was gunna say forget it, if it took like a year or something.....2.5 weeks to a month is nothing to wait for that much dog food...really,... and its good quality meat

I'm getting beef scraps, but not overly large sums of meat, but horse meat, tripe, chicken and rabbits innards should be nutritionally complete enough for the dogs anyway.

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

and always in search of other meats sources, as well, the rabbits my feeders are not going to be ready for about 3 months, you have to wait for them to reach 12 weeks, the first 2 litters are due in a week and ready to feed 12 weeks after there born.....

takes a while to get set up properly,
    :eek:

12. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Horse meat is great for a conditioning feed, but sucks as a every day feed, i tried it out for about 4 months, theres just not hardly enough fat in the tissue. The bones are good and when fed with chicken they did great on it.

13. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I had a big colt that busted his leg and butchered him out.BR is right,There really isn't much fat in at all,I have probably 20 pounds still in my freezer I was going to try myself,funny thing is it smelled almost like watermelon when I butchered the horse.Anyway,the dogs ate the rest of the colt good but didn't seem to pick up like on a cow.

14. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

i would slowly ween them onto it aswell, for some reason horse meat has a habit ofupsetting a dogs stomach if they dont eat it much or ever, and ive heard of literally pools of shit through the yard simply because the guy made a clean swap with the meat and it ran through the dogs like usain bolt. if you add say 25%with your beef feed then increase it over the week to be safe it will be fine. obviously its up to you but just think of this, x6 dogs x10 runny stools a day and a long chain dragging through it for hours while the dogs move around, it stinks and takes a while ti clean up. i think playing the safe cards a better option.

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I Just got a ton!!! of beef and sheep, and goat today, I just got back from picking it up

, guy gave me a whole sheep, and a whole goat live, we captive bolt them , loaded them in the truck, Fresh.

and i got a ton of beef fat, Meat and racks of ribs of beef as well, so i can mix it as needed fresh killed today as well.... load of meat on them still aswell

the horse is a little farther of a trip, but worth the drive for that price....

and it will be a month till i start feeding horse meat anyway, just wanted to get some info on it , so i'm prepared.

Thanks again guys for the info and tips, keep them coming if there more i need to know!;)

16. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

From what I've read, they have not done many or any studies to find out the effect the consumption of the meat may have on anyone/thing.

You know the phrase on the bottle- Not to be used on animals meant for human consumption.-

That's the reason for the warning, not neccessarily that it's harmful, they just might not know for sure...

I'll find that link to the site for horse standards for meat use....

I believe that Europe has a requirement for a 6 month vet record on any horse meant for food.

17. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Thanks DryCreek!;)

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

tell me this is a joke lol:confused:

19. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

no joke laced, have a good look at your cheaper canned dog foods ingredients. you would be suprised.

20. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog