1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

home made slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by raman781, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

You going to be selling them????????????

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

That Red River Curly has pine on it doesnt it Mistabonz?

3. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Yes it does bigblock. My slats are 3 1/2 inches wide so no bounce. I was just making a general statement.

4. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

How thick are they?

5. kingkong1

kingkong1 Banned

Very nice if your interested in selling and or trading a mill let me know!

6. raman781

raman781 Pup

I am not selling mills, just posting for anyone that wants to try and build there own.
    I figured out what happen with the belt, one of my counter sunk screws was sunk too low and was making contact the main wheels all thread.
    Polycarb/lexan is unbreakable but it can tear if its too thin, still waiting for my PVC belts. Dogs keep trying to jump up on the mill everytime they go in the garage.
    Pigman
    maybe you should try some wood slats first to see how they work. I would have used wood if I didn't already have the PVC cage sitting in the garage. Although, I am very pleased with my mill.

This guy has some great information on his website.

http://www.balkanboys.rs/balkanboys/traka.htm

7. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

You get your belt fixed yet ?

8. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I am glad some one else is honest about how hard it can be to build a mill we built our first slat mill out of scrap and base board slats but it worked alot of dogs and the fram is still behind the barn. I dont use pvc at all I like wood i know it cracks but i like it im ols school. Rino line good wood lam flooring with lam side down no bounce last forever and dont look bad at all with the rino line on it plus it doesnot slip. You did an out standing job. by looking at your mill I would say you have close to 7 bills in it and about 35 hrs am I close?

9. raman781

raman781 Pup

I fix the mill on New Years, I used a pvc belt but it's too elastic and I only get 6 spins.
    Dogs have been using the mill since but, I am still trying to find a belt that will not stretch. I spaced the slats at .060 and they ending up at .125 after a hard run.
    The belt is not stretching anymore; I guess it was just the break in.
    I received some samples in the mail on Friday for some other belting material. I think I might have one that I will try out.
    If any one out there knows of some good belting material, let me know.
    I am always interested other ideas.
    TripleJ
    I have about 600 in the mill now, hardware cost big time!
    I don't know many hours; I would go into the garage on my spare time and work on the mill. I know it took about 8 hours just to take apart the belting and re install it.
    It's much easier to buy a mill but, I like building things.
    Turn on the radio, smoke a cigar, and work.
    Rino line laminate flooring sounds like a good call. laminate material is very strong and light.
    What are you using for a belt? I am looking at some 2 ply poly nitrile material.
    I think the .020 ploycarb would have working if it did not make contact with the all thread on the main wheels. I put shorter screws on the belting and there is no contact but, I do not want to take any chances with that .020 polycarb after it exploded.

10. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I never tried a polycarb belt I use a belt I get from hects rubber. its a nylon strap with a rubber coat they work good. They dont streach much and are very strong, I try and keep my cost down so I can sell them cheap. aslot of guys want a mill they can afford and work a dog with out taking out a mortage on there house. and I was reading about your mill spinning so free. and your dog running 39 mph WOW thats TOO much. LOL . Really a real free spin mill over 10 spins is too free it will out run the dog. just remember that while building a mill. The mill is for working the dog. not how free it spins too many people get into how easy it will spin and forget its to work dogs on. YIS J

11. raman781

raman781 Pup

LOL

yeah, I didn't know the mill was going to spin as free as it did, the polycarbonte was on hand at the time that I was looking for material to use. I was going to order a belt but didn't want to spend the money.
    I have seen the pics of your cat mill, looks real nice! Maybe you could offer some carpet mills for the tight budget dogmen.
    keep up the good work, always good to see a builder that keeps cost as low as possible
    and passes them down to the customer.

12. iceg0412

iceg0412 Pup

I know its an old thread but how wide was you slats?