1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

home made slatmill

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by raman781, Dec 18, 2011.

1. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

How is that composite acrylic holding up? I was thinkin of gettin some clear stuff. Did you 45 the edges if so how? And what kinda hardware did you use to hook it to the belt? And did you put those two slits into the material for more of a traciton deal? Thanks for any help. Looks super good.

2. kingfish2

kingfish2 Pup

Is there any spacing between your slats?

3. raman781

raman781 Pup

LOL
    pig man -rat dog loving it was just a bonus! Free turning payed off. the reason why I built the mill was because my black dog was getting too bulky. She works the springpole for about an hour a day but it seems to be making her bulky. I figured I would get her running her on the mill to lean her out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buckskin
    I looked at using standard acrylic but its heavy, I was going to go with 1/2" clear but I wanted a free turning mill so I scratched that idea.
    The material from my Retic cage is 3/8" black PVC. I used a table saw to cut the slats and put the groves in them and a router turned upside down, mounted to a table with hole in it. took the slats and slid them across the table into the bit for a 45 degree cut.
    you can also use the table saw at a 45 degree to cut the edges.
    The 3/8" PVC is good but I found out that it was not strong enough. I took some pics of my 35lb dog running and noticed the slats flexing as she ran.
    I took her off added another row of wheels.
    flex
    [​IMG]
    before the 3rd row
    [​IMG]

Kingfish
    got .100 spacing for expansion, it gets hot in the summer time so the slats will grow.
    If I was working with wood and the slats were wet, I would but them up because when they cure, they willl shrink.

thanks for all the good words.

Hope this thread helps anyone wanting to build there own mill.

4. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Awesome work my Man . How many wheels did you end up using ? and did adding the middle row add more spins ?

5. raman781

raman781 Pup

I ended up with 71 wheels, it didn't add any more speed to the mill it just added more support.
    I figured out that the best way to add turns is light weight belt and slates, belt must be flat when attached to slats, no bumps or creases. slats must be even with with other slats and belt must never purtrude past the side of the slat.
    thinner belt = speed + loudness.
    the wheels that I used do not make much contact with the belt. just the very the tip of the wheel.

6. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Oh ok , Mine is already built but i think i want to change the belt material . I used a PVC lay flat hose I cut it down the sides to made two strips . I get 3 spins out of it but I think if I can get a hold of some thinner belting i would get more spins . I tried to keep mine on the Budget side and went with steel skate wheels and 6in go kart wheel but i swapped the bearing in the main wheels for sealed bearings . Building a mill is a lot of trial and error lol and it will nickel and dime you to death felt like i was in Home depot or Lowes every damn day lol .

And the belt being square is BIG thing if anybody is building a mill make sure you set up some type of jig like a T-Square and another piece of wood and clamp it straight and then tighten the bolts down . if you try to tighten the bolts with the belt is already on the mill it will be crooked and after a few spins will untrack .

But Raman that is great work you did well built and to add 13-15 spins is gonna be tough to top

7. raman781

raman781 Pup

Mextra

PVC flat house should work great. How are your main wheels hooked up? Did you make your mill to where your main wheels can adjust in and out or are they fixed? <O:p</O:p
    I have mine set up to where the main wheels can be adjusted out or in. I had to measure and get this correct for more spins, exact spacing is key. If I were to build another, I would make the main wheels adjustable, up, down, out, and in. I think the main wheels have a lot to do with the spins. I use Bones “speed cream” to lube up the bearings. Oil up all of you bearing, it make a difference. <O:p</O:p

8. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

Nice job looks good

9. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

Raman , mine are set up to move in and out and forward or back in the dropouts . Ill see if i can find the speed cream at one of the local skate shops , i think the lube i used before might have been a little too thick . Did you use speed cream on the main wheel bearings also? cause i know the are packed with grease most times .

10. raman781

raman781 Pup

I used the speed cream on all of my wheels. It probably broke down some of the grease in the main wheel bearings, the Bones Speed cream is a very light oil, kind of like mineral oil.

11. pig mad

pig mad Banned

You wouldn't want to make me a belt and i buy it off you mate?? Mine is big so i can run my 40kg pig dog on it as well haveing real drama finding the right stuff..

12. raman781

raman781 Pup

Pig Man
    I have extra belts but I have a huge issue with the belts. I hooked up a bike meter and my dog was getting up to 39mph!! I was tripping out that the dog was running that fast. She was just done with the spring pole so I hooker her up to the mill. I have used it about 40 times. When my dog gets on she runs like theres no tomorrow.
    Well, the belt expolded at 39mph. This is no joke as I was standing next to her looking at the bike meter. I was using no bait to get her going that fast she just does it.
    I heard a loud bang and my dog was standing on the skate wheels. I un hooked her and she ran over to the spring pole and started to work that.
    Dog is fine but the belt is shot.
    I am going to try a 2ply pvc belt next but its going to take me some time to repair it.
    I will post a pic of my mill. Belt broke about 1/2 a hour ago.

13. raman781

raman781 Pup

[​IMG]

here it is now

14. pig mad

pig mad Banned

spewing hey what about just supply the slats?? I have been trying to find that material on the net and having no luck don't realy know what to ask for or look for

15. Mextra

Mextra Big Dog

16. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

The cost of that for slats is a good chunk towards buying a mill. lol

17. That's a fine looking mill you have there!!!

18. raman781

raman781 Pup

I checked out the Retic cages and they are made with Sintra PVC board.

http://www.graphicdisplayusa.com/si...ogle Adwords&gclid=CJ-D4Liomq0CFcoaQgodWD5jkw

your dog is heavy, would need no less than 13mm thick with a PVC board and center row of wheels. What do you have on your mill right now? Oak or Russian Pine?

Russian Pine is light weight but very strong. Plastic has more weight to it.
    http://www.geocities.ws/Petsburgh/9777/more.htm

19. pig mad

pig mad Banned

I don't have anything on there yet mate was waiting on a friend to finish his deck we don't have shop here and all the places i ring for pine it is finger jointed..

Yeah he is a big dog i wondered about centre wheels thought he might get a bounce happening also got my wheels 62cm apart..

20. mistabonz

mistabonz Top Dog

Good oak slats eliminate bounce