1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hog hunting?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by jrpitdog, Mar 4, 2010.

1. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

I have never had the privilege of doing this with dogs, just wondering to those that have. How hard is it to keep the bulldogs interested in the hog and not the other dogs, it would seem that if your using really game stock they would be more into that hound dog baying then that stinky old hog.

2. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

generally we have 2 different types of dogs..bay dogs that corner the boar(usually catahoula/curs) ..once they bay the hog., the guy will come in with the bulldogs and they get right to it.

3. popper

popper CH Dog

when i have gone i went with apbts that grew up together in male femal pair...never had any troubles as they both love to hunt

4. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

a good pig dog lives to hunt.. they get focused and they dont worry about the dogs cause they see them everyday...but when they see that boar they get a hard-on

5. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

you're going to get many different answers but the most common is going to be "use 1 male and 1 female"

personally you can train your dogs not to hunt each other but rather go for the hog; start the training at a young age. get a pin, the dogs you want to train, and get a hog. i'll let you figure out the rest or PM me. 2 males can tolerate each other IF YOU PUT IN THE TIME to make the dogs feel like they are not a threat to each other. personally i like dogos for hogs but my breeders price is $2500 PER dog so yeah its hard to risk losing that type of investment whereas my APBTs arent as costly (im not saying i love them any less, but would you rather wreck a honda or corvette?)

6. geezuss

geezuss Big Dog

they did a special on the dogo's on national geographic a while back check it out. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHkg5Aakqg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHkg5Aakqg[/ame]

id still much rather use a apbt but using a dogo it seems would eliminate having to even use the hounds to sniff the bastards out. i always wanted to get into hog hunting. check out you tube people have posted plenty of videos of their hog hunts using dogs it looks so great makes me wish i lived in the south :-/ .

7. jrpitdog

jrpitdog Pup

So are you saying an APBT is a Honda, and Dogo's are Vettes'? j/k I understand