1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

hog hunting in texas????????????

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pittfallin, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Attila

Attila Guest

It will likely be in March. I need to go see my only living grandparent and spend some time with her here in a couple of weeks. That is about a 2000 mile trip one way.

2. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

As Attila said, we go out about once a week. I'm just outside of San Antonio...if you're interested just send me an e-mail or pm and we'll set it up.

William, Jazz is due to whelp around the 16th of February. We went out yesterday and had a good hunt. Caught a 175 pound sow. I forgot my camera so no readily available pics. We brought a young man along and he had camera...just waiting for him to send me the pics and then will post pics and story.

3. Attila

Attila Guest

That is great. looking forward to one of them. Looking forward to pictures and the report. Sounds like a good hunt. Nothing better than dinner.

4. cheekymunkee

cheekymunkee Top Dog

Hey neighbor!

5. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

oh, im gonna bring a camera and take alot of pics...thanks so much

6. Attila

Attila Guest

a camera is good. Have to remember to use it though. I always forget about it. I get so excited about hunting I forget about anything but my dogs and catching dinner.

7. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Bump.....>>>There's no hog doggin on public WMA land in Texas so I figured I'd bump this up to see if there's anybody that runs hogs in Texas that wouldn't mind someone joining in sometime. I know there's guided tours here but they charge out the ass and they usually use their own dogs. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount but I'd like to get my dogs started on the hogs as well. I'm in the DFW area and would travel to east or central tx if someone would be kind enough to let me join in on the fun. I haven't looked for any hog doggin forums or anything but that'll be my next step. Any info would be much appreciated!!

8. Damn treez I was up your way last night. Watched my home town play in the state game over there. If you wanna get your dog started i'd say dont take em out in the wild first. Put em in a pen with a mild one and make sure their gonna do ok. I can get that set up if you want. You'd have to travel about 2 1/2 hrs south 35 though.

9. treezpitz

Sure appreciate the response CK! Yea I know that would be the proper way to get em schooled I just didn't expect someone to open up their hog pen to me to help school em so I figured if I saw a smaller hog, I'd let the dog get schooled that way. Sure appreciate the offer partner! I'd like to take you up on that if possible! I'ma send a pm.

10. treezpitz

Clear inbox CK , tried pm but wouldn't fit.

11. alright cleared

12. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Most hog hunters won't take an unknown catch dog if there is any chance of DA. Don't get me wrong some catch dogs may be DA but they hate the pig worse than another dog and will hit it first. If a man does take u and ur dog latched onto a good bay dog and hurt it the price could get steep fast. Good luck with this and if u can get ur dog in a pen it's a plus but it may or may not catch at first, a lil squealing can get most going and ready to lay some teeth on a pig.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

13. treezpitz

Thanks for the info and heads up shotgun! I thought about that scenario but I have a feeling they'd be alot more interested in the pigs. I'd like to get into hoggin to the point I get my own bay dogs and such but right now I'd only have catch dogs. Thanks again for the input!

14. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

Trailcam-Boar1.jpg Trailcam-Boar2.jpg Trailcam-Boar3.jpg Trailcam-Deer.jpg

Some trailcam pics my friend sent me. How many of you have wild hogs living near or on your property?

15. old goat

old goat CH Dog

they're pretty thick around here . usually you don't see as much activity during deer season . they're coming into the neighborhoods and the school grounds around here .

16. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

[​IMG]

Killed this one in the back yard.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

17. treezpitz

Because of my ignorance to the hog pen laws I may have sounded like I was open to schooling my dogs in a pen previously. Since then I have been informed that the legalities of the pen have changed and I wanted to state clearly that I would not use a bay pen to school my dogs. I'll let em learn the old fashion way, trial and error. Thanks to the kind one to inform me of the current laws!!!

18. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

You can't use a pen no more? You got to just let a young one go, and hope for the best?

19. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

It is against the law to have catch dog comps. Most folks will still use a caught pig. They either put it in a cage or a horse trailer and let the pup get bumped a few times to get them going. With bigger dogs lots of times either they bay one up and lead cd in to where they can see the hog. If it's big they cut loose a good cd then turn loose the one learning one. After a few times or if the younger dog seems to have an idea of what it needs to do they will cut it loose by itself on smaller hogs. After it gets a few catches under its belt and if it holds clean and doesn't regrip it's time for a big hog and see what they got. If a dog is unstarted and grown isn't DA u put it in on a big hog with the experienced dog and look it over then next time see what it's got solo. Most bulldogs will catch but the way they hold and position themselves can determine if they gonna make a good CD or not.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

20. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Gotcha. Thanks, shotgun.