1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hog dogs

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by catchdog, Apr 11, 2010.

1. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

Just wondering what kind of strike dogs anyone out there uses, not talkin about feeder huntin.

2. Corley

Corley Big Dog

There is a guy in my area that uses Cur or Cur Cross

3. garbayo

garbayo Pup

a dogo will do the job

4. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

some of my APBTS do just fine but we also use Am. Bulldogs and Am. Bulldog/APBT crosses

5. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

i have seen on one occasion where a pitbull found his own, around here its nearly impossible, we put blackmouth curs and catahoulas on the hood or roof of a truck and ride directly into the wind, and the dogs can wind an area up to a mile, they gotta bay up before we cut the catchdogs though, a pit will hunt with what they see or hear,not so much wind or nose, that usually ends up jus scaring off the hogs

6. kira

kira Pup

yo budboy

any pics of the ambull/apbt crosses, i bet they lookin nice???

7. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

My hog dog is more American Staffordshire Terrier bred no real bulldogs in his ped but both his parents were amazing hog dogs and so is he. I am not usually into dogs that aren't along game bred lines but he is a good dog.

8. NotaBlueHippo

NotaBlueHippo Big Dog

We use cats and a couple plots for baying before we let the catch dogs on em.

9. bigboy69

bigboy69 Pup

Get a Dogo

10. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

I dont need a finished dog, yeah i know a dogo will find one, I havent seen one that can strike as good as a blackmouth cur, were talkin up to a mile they can smell, and they are too big for around here the briars and thickets will own one on a hunt,even gettin thru barbed wire fences will hang a dogo up, and once that boar brakes, yer lookin at runnin milles

11. kira

kira Pup

i have heard people say that a few times here now

what is a cur?

12. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

finished dog=fully trained can hunt by itself, strike dog=one that finds the hog, baydog= one that keeps the hog at bay by barkin until the catchdog arrives, helpdog=not fully trained bay dog that just helps in numbers, catchdog= apbt ab dogo etc, actually grabs and hold the hog, blackmouths curs are a houndish breed that has unbelievable smelling ability along with amazing courage, like a bullfighter, but the curs circle and bark their tails off and no bite, if they bit harder they would lose nose ability, some bad ones bite and usually get lost:confused:, so comparing to a catchdog its a funny analogy, but curs are way harder to come by thatn a catchdog, because the hunting ability does not compare, bulldogs cant do it without them unless there is an unuasual circumstance, so a cur is an actual breed

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

14. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

goot one, looks like the weatherfords ben line, well hell most are, that was the dog in old yeller, i got some off that

15. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

haha im from the south man, and i gotta admit when i joined this site and keep reading the word "cur" as if it was a bad thing, in my head i was like isnt a Cur just a hunting breed.

anyways a Cur is a mix bred dog that is now becoming more refined to becoming an actual breed of dogs. Curs are great baying dogs and some can make strike dogs.

to all the people saying get a dogo, you clearly arent thinking about the price of getting a dogo in america. i know first hand you're going to drop a minimum of $2000 and be prepared for the contract that comes with the dog.

16. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

What is a cur? In my adopted home area it means a blackmouth cur when not talking bulldogs. I knew an old guy who used them for both finding and catching hogs. He used one set for finding and baying; and another for the catching. Never saw any in the woods, but the catchdogs were pretty good in the pens.

17. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

I know I know,, funny how mine are actually professional because they put food and money on the the table, and the term is just flung around

18. magnoilaotis

magnoilaotis Top Dog

When talking about gamedogs cur is the most offensive word possible. To give
    you a reference, I will state a scenario. Imagine going in to tie a hog up and as soon as you get close enough your pride and joy lets go leaving you alone face to face with a set of razors hooked to a couple hundred pounds of wildness.

19. kira

kira Pup

sorry i know im asking a lot of dumb questions here

but when u say bulldog, are you referring to ambulls???

20. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

no,most say it when referring to pitbulls as the opposite of cur,