1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

High Jump

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by Herodog1, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Hi guy's,

After looking through this great forum and seeing some amazing dogs doing all kinds of sports I thought I would try my little KC reg Stafford at high jump to see if he liked it and if he could do it. I used a fluffy mitt as the toy and he jumped 163cms. Can anyone tell me if that is any good for a Stafford?

Thanks
    p.s. He really enjoyed it too, I will try to get some pics of him doing it next time :D

2. shakka

shakka Pup

think the highest stafford ive witnessed did 190cms so id say thats a good height especially if hes a smaller dog. Osiris did 185cms today but we had a 3 jump rule in place and that was his 3rd jump, so didnt get to test the 190cms myself.

3. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Thanks Shakka,

Gotta say your dogs look great. Since being on here I have tried to introduce my boy Sid to some new exercises, just cos he's a show dog doesn't mean he can't be fit and active does it.
    When the snow goes I will try him again and see if we can beat the 190cm, you gotta dream lol.
    By the way I have asked this question before but the post seemed to disappear, can you tell me what a soft mouth means?
    Cheers

4. shakka

shakka Pup

as far as im aware its a hunting term, if your dog is soft mouthed he will bring back the bird/rabbit whole and undamaged.

5. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Thanks Shakka,

Much appreciated

6. ultimathule

ultimathule Big Dog

That sounds a decent jump. What you have to remember a taller dog will have an advantage over a shorter dog,and so several clubs have in place height classes in which your dog competes against others of the same stature.

7. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Thanks ultimathule,
    Unfortunately we don't have any sporting clubs for dogs in our area so he is just doing it for fun and exercise.
    He is 16.5 inches to the withers and weighs 17.5 kgs.

Thanks again

8. shakka

shakka Pup

Most clubs i know will do x height. so a 16 inch dog jumping one meter will beat a 17 inch dog doing one meter because its jumped more times it own height. if you can train your dog to run and jump im sure 2 meters is achievable but mine just does standing jump atm.

9. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

Thanks Shakka,
    I think he will run and jump, might try him up a tree when we go through the woods again. He has lost some of his body fat and is starting to look fitter and leaner.