1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hey y'all, new here....looking for advice and people who've adopted pits before....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Gunnersmom, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Hello! Ive rescued a 9 month old APBT from the shelter 3 months ago and have been having some issues with him, knew it would be hard work but ....too long to get into now but behavior related, I am currently working with him on obedience training, crate training, working through some separation anxiety or trying to. Almost to my wits end esp when trainers and even veterinarian behaviorist won't help, won't even call back. Raised this breed and others like it before, but Gunner takes the cake! (And anything else he can eat lol).

So if anyone can and would like to help me figure some stuff out me and him both would greatly appreciate it! What has worked for you? Been in a similar situation? I'll go into much deeper details later....just needing some support right now!

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Re: Hey y'all, new here....looking for advice and people who've adopted pits before..

Consistency is first and foremost, and not knowing all the details I would say as a foster dog/adopted dog there was no consistency or structure before.

Dogs do really well with a routine, eat, frolic, play, work, sleep at pretty much the same time every day.

Bulldogs are working dogs and for the most part have enough energy and enthusiasm to do 'two jobs'. Bouncing off the walls. The owner has to find a way to constructively burn up that energy because if left up to the dog he will burn it up himself, usually in a destructive manner.

Try to find what he likes to do, and do it til he is tired three-four-five times per week. Long hand walks will not necessarily tire him but will be good for him.

This part can be a double edged sword. I never teach any of my dogs to heel or walk beside me. I want them to drag me down the road. It does not work well in the dog park setting or even the appearance of being dragged by your dog but if a reasonably healthy dog is walking beside you it will need miles and miles and hours and hours to effective. They are better equipped to walk for distance than us. If it is a country type setting, hook up a harness and drag some weight.

Just some ideas on dogs in general. Welcome to the board and give some details. Lots of knowledge, knowledge based on personal experience on the board. Best of luck, and again welcome. S

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Re: Hey y'all, new here....looking for advice and people who've adopted pits before..

Welcome to the board! I already gave you my opinions in chat last night. ;)

Very accurate info slim dropped for you. Good luck with your pup. Keep us updated on his progress.

4. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

I fell asleep while on chat, nice talking dogs last night.
    The 1am dog session.