1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Here's one for Texas and hunting...

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by LadyRampage, Jan 25, 2005.

1. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Texas sportsmen should urge lawmakers to oppose legislation that will turn common hunting practices into criminal acts of animal cruelty.

House Bill 326, introduced by Rep. Toby Goodman, R-Arlington, amends the animal cruelty code to make it a crime for a person to “commit serious bodily injury to an animal” and redefines “animal” to include any nonhuman mammal, bird, or captive amphibian. The exemption for wild creatures that exists in the animal cruelty code would be removed.

“The vague definition will have huge ramifications for sportsmen,” said Tony Celebrezze, U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance director of field services. “Any act of injury or death to an animal, even hunting or field trialing, will be construed as animal cruelty.”

Sportsmen were previously exempted from such animal cruelty laws when hunting, fishing or trapping. The exemption has also been removed. According to HB 326, sportsmen may be prosecuted and have to fight for their innocence in court. This can cost thousands of dollars.

Existing law sufficiently defines abuse and cruelty toward animals and recognizes and exempts hunting, fishing and trapping as common wildlife management practices. House Bill 326 would blur those lines and encourage prosecution of sportsmen.

Take Action! Texas sportsmen cannot allow this poorly written bill to pass. Contact your representative today and ask him or her to oppose the bill. Existing law already prevents animal cruelty. To contact your representative, call (512) 463-0845.

http://www.ussportsmen.org/interactive/features/Read.cfm?ID=1462

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005
  2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

is this for real?? I know too many people who DO rely on what they kill as food on the table for their families. Well, there goes our venison, pork, alligator, duck. In addition to this, if it passes, I wonder what all of our famous burger places will offer instead as the slaughter of cows for food will be illegal I would guess. Ummm....I'll take a double soyburger with cheese please. And what about chickens? No more KFC. Sounds like a bill written by our vegan "friends", PETA. And no more fish, shrimp, crawfish (yeah right, i'd die!), etc. What a hoot!:eek:

3. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

I just got off of the phone with my reps. office and he is pulling the bill for me and giving it to our districts rep. and voicing my concerns to him. Now I am just waiting on a call back. I honestly don't see this one passing exactly how they want it to if at all. You have any idea on how much money the state will loose on fishing licences and some towns are know for there lakes and hunting what will happen to there income.

4. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

This is going to be putting all hunting/fishing at risk not matter what type it is. I hope we can all pull together and help protect the heritage that all of our past generations have laid down for us. If a kid can't go hunting or fishing that just leaves that much more room for them to start doing other things that they don't need to be doing.

5. crossfire

crossfire Big Dog

just heard back they called the guys office and the bill is being reworded so that farmers/ranchers and hunters are exempt from that bill. he said they told him that they are not out after the hunters and such.