1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help on conformation

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by Bluepit50, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Hey everyone, i've been reading alot about the confromation standards of the adba and how the dog must have a square length to height and a matching weight along with many other break downs on all the body areas. I have a blue male that i've been raising since 6 weeks of age, he now is 19 months. Many people lately have been impressed at how he has been turing out and have told me there is no doubt he would do well at a confromation show. He also has an awesome personality and great happyness to people. Right now he weighs 50lbs and is not contioned at all yet, this week I will start running him. With some good conditioning to tone him up would could he do well even though he is a blue male at an ADBA show? I think after I run him a few weeks he might even get down to 47lbs or so. He has a perfect 1/3 height to weight ratio. Here is an example of a male with good confromation and beside it is my male. Any help appreciated, thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2005
  2. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

hey boy what the hell you been up to

well it looks like he has got some great conformation so all you can do is tone him up and enter him and take home some ribbons best of luck

3. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Yep, you will never know until you try! Its all depends on what the judge is looking for. Maybe try a few fun shows first till you get the hang and see whats expected.. it never hurts to get out there and do it ...who knows, your dog just might be a natural at it!

Get him conditioned and see what happends.. far to many people get negative about it. Remember, its just to have fun and its just someone elses opinion on how the dog looks..its nothing personal (at least it shouldnt be)

4. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

You should really try and get a picture of him properly "stacked". It's hard to fully tell without a stacked picture. Have pictures taken of him stacked from the side, front, and back and them post them.

5. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Thanks everyone, these pics are from today but they still don't show much of his cuts for some reason, what I mean is that when you see him right now in real life he is cut up real good. I was by myself taking the pics so tommorrow I will have someone help me to take some of him stacked. He has an awesome walk like they describe and I have spent alot of time to get his obedience and control nearly perfect. All I have left to do is condition him and I will be ready to go. I really want to do this with him that way i'll be doing something positive and keep him happy. I think it would be a waste to not let a pit bull live it's life without accomplishments being achieved and that's whats important to me.

I want to use each dog for what they're good at and am confident that they will achieve their true potential and would like to be able to share it with everyone here since you all have taught me alot. After conditioning I will go to some ADBA conformation shows and hope that even though this male is blue that he can still be to standard and hopefully even place. This could help with the bad image breeders are giving blue pit bulls and will make me proud of my boy, after all he was my first dog. These shows seem tough but i'm 100% sure that I will work my dogs as much as I can. Thanks everyone for your help and knowledge that you've been giving me of this breed.

6. Aurora

Aurora Pup

I was standing next to TL Williams last year at the Nationals in Belleville when i asked him why he put a blue dog first place . He replied " He had good conformation and he doesn't know he's blue " If the judge is color blind the best conformation dog will win . I've shown horses on the AQHA circuit for years and the judges there can be color biased as well . Traditionally halter horses (our version of conformation) are sorell , bay , black etc and the working horses especially out west are the palominos , greys and buckskin . It's always been said that for a colored horse like the bucks and yeller horses had to be hands down better to win at halter . It's the nature of showing and it doesn't matter if its rabbits goats or dogs . That days judge will pick what he likes . If the judge has his roots in gamedogs then it will be tough to get your points .

7. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

That days judge will pick what he likes . If the judge has his roots in gamedogs then it will be tough to get your points

Whoo wee aint you right, better hope hes a fan of Blue dogs....

8. rocksteady

Oh sh#t !! Dont tell Aurora he's right... he can barely get that cowboy hat off his head as it is now....

9. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

you need to try to get to the adba fun show next weekend, right here in GA.

10. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Man I did'nt even know about it, where is it going to be? Thanks

11. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

In GA, I cant wait...Whoo Hooo!!!

12. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

You should come Mr. and watch my blue male leave winning, being 100lbs and all, lol.

13. Aurora

Aurora Pup

Hey Rock , don't pick on the hat or my dogs !

14. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

yeah right you know hes half that size...and winning what?

15. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Do you kiss your dogs with that mouth? Do your dogs where that hat? LOL J/K

16. rocksteady

lol I didnt say anything about your dogs lol ..no wonder the judges keep givin them all those blue ribbons... they feel sorry for them when they see the big head with that 20 gallon hat...
    lol

you know im just joking Aurora... deep down I wish I looked that good in a cowboy hat... ;)

17. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog