1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

help needed.

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by mikej, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mikej

mikej Pup

hi there.
    just wanted to know is there any one who might be able to give me some advice.
    i want to start my 6 month old pup weight training, but it seems to have gone wrong some how.
    i brought him to a few training sessions and he was great, he really enjoyed it.
    so i got a new harness, sled, chains ect, for training at home with him.
    the thing now is that he seems to hate the whole activity now.
    once i put the harness on now he lays back on his back and pisses every where.
    when i take the harness off he runs inside and wont come out.
    now i know for a fact that he was not injured, hurt or miss treated in any way at the start of his training.
    also the most weight he had on him was 20 pounds.
    did i do something wrong, or is that the dog just doesnt want to do it.
    the dog is 15 inches and 33 pounds.
    should i just leave him alone for a few weeks and try him again.
    any help and advice would be very appreciated.
    atb,mike.

2. mikej

mikej Pup

sorry just noteiced that i put this in the wrong section.
    atb,mike

3. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

damn why are you starting him so early?? let him grow up a lil. atleast 10mnths.

4. T-S-I

T-S-I Pup

its a six month old pup let him be a puppy for a while

5. mikej

mikej Pup

hi mate.
    the only reason i was doing this was for exercise, and getting him used to the harness.
    not for competition.
    atb, mike.

6. mikej

mikej Pup

Just handwalk him for the next six months

thanks mate.
    do you think i have any lasting damage done.
    if i have any damage done, will it be easy to fix.
    atb, mike.

7. Like was said earlier, hand walk the pup for the next 6 or so months.

8. mikej

mikej Pup

thanks L.D.
    this weight pulling is all new to me as well as the young dog.
    i think i was listening to some bad advice, and not having the common since myself to see what i was doing wrong.
    hopefully i dont have any damage done.
    it will slow and easy for the next 6 to 8 months.
    thanks to every one for their help and advice.
    atb,mike.

9. Now I start my pups at 8weeks gettin them adjusted to the harnness and it works grate for me everyone has there way tho I put mine in the harnness at 8weeks by 12weeks they at dragon there body weight an by the time my pups are 10 mouths there workin harder then most 3year old dogs but that's just me

10. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

and at those stages of development you are punishing growing pups, and that is never a good thing. id seriously rethink your routine

11. my routine works just fine for me man evey dog i pull ranks in the ttop ten evry year an the take 1st at most shows they pull at an i dont miss many how many aces have you trained

12. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i dont weight pull sport, but its a known fact that they are developing at that age. hell, i dont even start working my dogs hard until theyre well over a year old....maybe thats why they arent broken down cripples by the time theyre 8 yrs of age

13. i have 8 year old dog here that get around an paly an pull just like they are a year old that were started the same way im not sayin work a 12 week old pup hard there body weight 8lbs maybe depends on the dog 2-3 mins 3 times a week just so they are use to it think about it like this is you never put shoes on tell you 15 years ols you cant run in them like the kid thats had them on his whole life you start them that young it become part of there life an not some thing you teach them to do at a year or two

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

and i understand that, i was simply referring to your comment ...
    " by the time my pups are 10 mouths there workin harder then most 3year old dogs but that's just me "

that is just foolish imo...but hey, what do i know about dogs?:rolleyes:

15. every one has there own way of doing it the way you learn is take a lil form every one an find your own way of training

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

agreed. while i dont agree with what youre doing, good luck with your dogs man