1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

help needed urgently

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by rajennn, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

is the dog a rescue or from the pound? anyway when it's time for a handle you got to be quick on the dog. don't go in to handle slow so it has time to bite you. your dog probably thinks it the last time it will eat for some reason ? maybe you take things away from him often? make your dog earn his feed by that i mean teach to sit & obey before you feed it. don't just go & beat his ass because it won't understand why & you will just make it worse. go to different websites & learn a thing or two about food agresson. there is something called "NILF"i here works real good.

2. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Why are you trying to get the food away from him. That's just rude to a dog. Let's say in the wild alpha dog eats first but after him the other dogs eat, alpha dog doesn't come back by and fuck with them. Leave his food alone. Feed him in a crate or kennel if you are worried about kids messing with his food (or keep kids away).

If you want to show him who is boss be tough but FAIR. Beat him all you want, you obviously don't have him trusting you already. Yes some unstable dogs resource guard (and I have no qualms about culling HA) but you have to see their side of the picture too. Beating a dog who growls when you try to take their food away doesn't mean HA it means insecurity, beating him at that point only reinforces it.

If you want to keep this dog I'd start retraining using another method.

3. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

A pup like that should of had what they call the "shakedown method" administered a long time ago by someone more experienced. No disrespect. I dont like to hit my dogs in the face ever, if it comes to that there are better ways to handle it. The shakedown method: you grab the dog under the jaw on both sides of the neck and lift him off the ground you should be looking at him dead in the eyes hold him out away from your face and shake vigorously while telling him NO repeatedly. This should be done all in one fast swift motion, it will shake the dog up similar to what happens to a fighter when hit on the chin and gets dazed. This should only be attempted by a experienced handler. Since you said you were bit this morning you might not be the one for this dog.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

yall are crazy telling this guy to cull his pup. for all we know he could be the reason for this dog acting up like this. it don't seem like the dog is a manbiter at all because it's only acting up around food. a true manbiter is on 24/7 food or no food. the best thing is to get knowledge & learn to correct the issues not take the easy way out & get rid of the pup.

5. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

i am not trying to take the bowl off him, im just walking past him and he apporaches me to bite me. i dont normally beat him and i definately wouldnt do it for no reason. how can i break this insecurity? i dont ever take things off him. hes fine normally when food is not involved.

6. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

How do you contain him? Honestly sometimes the simplest solution is best. If he is uncomfortable with something don't do it. If he wants to eat in peace stay away from him. Or go to a behaviorist that gives you a clicker and tells you to reward him a lot. I wouldn't take that crap from any dog but I'd also not set them up to fail.

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

he is only 7 months, if your scared of him as a pup then i cant imagine what the house will be like when he is an adult
    Put him on a leash and let him eat from the bowl and if he growls pull him away from the bowl. After he eats a little pull him back and get a little closer to the bowl and let him eat again. Keep gettin closer and if he wants to finish he will get the hint. Personally i dont put up with MY OWN DOG showing aggression towards me. Usually only happens once lol

8. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

i normally hold him by the scruff of the neck. my friend had him on lead while i took the bowl away and he tried biting my friend. when he does bite i try hold his mouth shut for as long as i can as hes jumping around and screaming. next feed im going to batter the shit out of him if this occurs again

9. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

dream pits i am in no way scared of the little shit

10. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Well its your dog so you need to handle that before you bring more people into the equation. How many people does it take to feed a pup:rolleyes:
    Just be patient, if he shows aggression he doesnt eat. The more you do it the faster he will get it. U can feed treats from ur hand in between feedings. Hold it tight inside a squeezed fist and make him be patient b4 u loosen ur grip and give him a little taste then close ur hand tihgt again. Point is make him eat on YOUR TERMS not his. He is dependent on you to eat, make sure he knows that

11. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

...how hard does he bite?........and does he bite ,hold and shake,...or just snap!....

12. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Its real simple you handle him responsibly, get him to someone experienced who can, get your a** bit again,or last put him down. Just dont end up on the news please.

13. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Try a dominant dog collar if you are getting bitten scruffing him. Holding his mouth shut will do nothing. I don't know what reason you have your dog (working/show/pet) but if you want a dog that doesn't act up but also trusts you, beatings and smacking won't be the solution.

Make him work for that bowl of food but don't 'batter the shit out of him', how do you think that will possibly help him not want to attack you the next time? And if he's showing signs of instability in other places (and not because you hit him and scare him) put him down and save him the abuse.

If you are hand feeding him put each piece of food under your thumb with your palm open and the rest of your fingers straight so he doesn't accidentally take off fingertips. ;) Lead him to the food, smelling first then taking. Also if you have time setting up each mealtime as a tracking play game doesn't hurt. Let him work for his food by sniffing it across a track.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2010
  14. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

he scratched up my whole forearm giving me cuts and damaging the 1st layer of skin, it is minor, and he runs towards you as fast as he can and snap! he bites, holds, lets go, bites again, lets go etc until i go away, which i dont.

15. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Fact the first thing that has to be addressed is the fact that he bit you it has to be corrected and the dog must understand by no means does he bite people. If not it will happen again and you probably will be on the news. Dont just try to get him to eat, he now knows that he can bite you and get away wth it and dont listen to people just trying to help but are clueless.

16. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

From what I understand he only bit when he was being corrected improperly not when he was eating.

17. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

...is this your first dog ,or first puppy of this breed..?......what type of background is the dog from,....working , or , pet...?

18. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Ok your dog is attacking you and he's still alive?

19. simms

simms CH Dog

What you have described is a full frontal attack.

This dog needs to be crated when fed and you need to immediatly implement the NILF (?)

This problem with this dog is bigger than you, you need proffesional or experienced help.

20. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Magdalena, please you are not helping I was actually refering to you when i said, "clueless" earlier. It's a 7 mo old pup. Go chunk your two cents at something that is less serious of a situtation your not helping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.