1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

help improve HindQuarters

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by _Alpha_, Jul 26, 2005.

1. _Alpha_

_Alpha_ Pup

I need help on how to improve muscles on my dog's hindquarters/rear.
    hope you guys can lend some of your ways, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2005
  2. RollinRuger

RollinRuger Big Dog

why do you need to improve the muscles on his hindquarters?

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

How old is the dog, can you post a picture? Do you show your dog? These dogs arent supposed to be extremely bulky or muscular.

4. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

best thing to do is run/walk the dog alot. outside or treadmill. you don't want to overdo it.thier backends aren't supposed to be too big.

5. _Alpha_

_Alpha_ Pup

i walk my dog a lot, he is developing good muscles in front but the hind seems to be left behind.. i know it doesnt need to be too much bulky but it kinda look awkward, in my own judgement.

i want to put more muscles on it. i need your advice on how will i work on it.thanks

btw he is almost 2yrs old.

6. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Do you have any pic's..it's hard to tell how he looks w/o a pic. Do you have a springpole? My female(pic attached) loves the springpole and that's mostly how she got her back legs..she also carries that tire around every time she's outside, and she swims every day for at least an hour and most of the time about 3 hours. We also do roadwork. You have to be consistant w/your dog, not just every time you think of it. make a planned schedule and stick to it. Try a flirtpole and a springpole, but be careful w/them. Also, most apbt's don't even mature until age 2 or some even older. So he still has a little time to fill out. Do you feed him a high quality dog food?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  7. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Flirt Work.

8. RHI

RHI Big Dog

We used to road work our dogs at a place called kingsberry grade near lake tahoe, high altitude up hill, also, a carpet mill at a higher incline will help put alittle more bulk on a dog compaired to some other type of mills, some other good ideas also are posted....would recommend if trying this, work up time gradually, starting at a few minutes, then gradually increase time.... also with road work, times starting would depend on surface types also..

9. _Alpha_

_Alpha_ Pup

thanks a lot guys. this would really help.

any other advice?

10. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Weight pull training also builds muscle and defines it..but you gotta be careful and start slow.

11. JohnsonKennels

JohnsonKennels Big Dog

flit pole, get your dog to jump. i've got my dog to jump OTC and i have seen some fast results.

[​IMG]before.............................after[​IMG]
    this is about three weeks apart

12. Ive always ran my dogs and also did some running with a weighted vest that i could add to , try running a few times a week lets say start with a mile then work up as he gets better and stronger that will build wind and also help build muscle. hope this will help you some .

13. _Alpha_

_Alpha_ Pup

wow! that is really some result!!!
    thanks guys.. keep it coming. this is will be helpful to a novice like me.

14. 929racer

929racer Pup

I have a field beside my house and I run my dogs around it. I ride my four-wheeler while they chase me. they love it. One day I will run them with no weight and the next with a ten foot chain attached to each of them. Of course they get tired quicker with the chain attached. I have seen significant reults in the past month doing that. A lot more muscle definition. Not bulky just cut.I only do this maybe 5 days a week.