1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Help getting my dog to use a springpole

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by kratos2250, Aug 9, 2010.

1. My pit is almost 2 years old, and I'm starting to condition him. He just stands there and looks at the springpole, and doesn't know what to do. Can anybody help me? What's the trick to get him started?

2. pit4ever

pit4ever Banned

i saw in the thread that its good to use hides cos dogs go crazy over hides. so.. get some hides :D

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

if u have hide just put it on the ground and let ur dog chew and play with it for a little bit. work ur way up to some light tug. then put it on the springpole and play tug. then set it up very low and let the dog play by itself. keep slightly raising it and praise and reward ur dog when he/she shows interest. you have to teach them what u want them to do

4. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

Does he like working the Flirt Pole? If he does try using that same bait. Tease him with it for a minute then put it on the Spring.

5. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Having the young dog get use to a collar and lead, harness, hide work (which leads to flirt and spring pole work), chain breaking them, running a mill and running beside a bike and tug-o-war are all good activities which should have been done when the dog was young and growing up.....it prepares them and saves you alot of headache for future.

YIS

6. PITS+PATTS

PITS+PATTS Big Dog

Hello mate,i used rabbit+fox hides tied to the end of the dogs lead which adds to the exitement.Tease him and then do sweeps with with it.My dog goes from stanstill to flat-out in a spilt second giving it great speed out of the starting blocks.After a while a tied the hide to an inner-tube for stretch and tied this to a rope hanging from a tree and now the dog works this quite happily.All the best.

7. machobuck

machobuck Big Dog

yea im going thru the same thing with my two yr old and the slat mill ive just about given up but i know better next time guess road work for her also cow hids are great she did the same thing just looked at it untill bobo the staff "neighbors dog" came over and showed her how to work it out now she all for it

8. noblebostons

noblebostons Big Dog

^^^^^^^^^^

9. kalenhcc

kalenhcc Big Dog

I had the same problem. I used a coon hide and worked it on the flirtpole awhile and let him chew on it held it up and made him jump for it then stuck it on the pringpole he loves hides. He wont really work a rope toy as well.

10. pitbullkid86

pitbullkid86 Big Dog

My dog was the same he had drive, but fell in love with the hide. I first started off with the cow hide on the flirt. Im pretty sure he'll work that spring pole now. As far as the slat goes, some dogs will run it and others wont.

11. BDuBois

BDuBois Pup

I started with a rope toy and that lasted maybe 5 minutes. I went to old socks and they seem to be working great. I keep hearing about hides and I know that stillwater sells cow hide on the web site. My boy is more interested in something that he can really clamp on to and rope is not one of them. Try socks....

12. popper

popper CH Dog

yes same here , my female will work a pair of pants to no end, if your dog has drive , it just boils down to what he/ she loves... try a couple diffrent things

13. nerotxc

nerotxc Pup

My boy started a little late too.. we moved when he was about 1. i quickly built an elaborate springpole and assumed he would take to it. i was wrong. it started with tug of war but he didnt go all crazy. then i did the flirt pole.. and got him really running at it. then i put it on an extended line spring pole until he.really started pulling it. then i put it in its right spot. i also used many different types of springs. at first they were very bungee like. ultimately we ended up using two garage door springs.

14. KamiKaze

KamiKaze Pup

Do you have any pics of your set up?