1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

help building bulk

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by tjwilkie, Jan 4, 2009.

1. tjwilkie

tjwilkie Pup

hi this is my first thread i was just woundering what was the best way to some size on my dog with out going down the roid road any tips would be greatfull:)

Attached Files:

2. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Wow, I think she looks great. Thing is, pitbulls are NOT meant to be ultra bulky dogs. Good food and exercise is great but genetics will determine how muscular she is.

Dogs really can't "bulk up" the same way humans can. Be VERY careful because a lot of things newbies think will build bulk in fact will just injure a dog.

3. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

pennsooner you hit the nail on right on the head

4. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

How old is your dog? Has he had a chance to mature? These factors and the ones stated above are what you need to look at.

5. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

I think the dog looks good as well. China'smom has a good point, what is the age of the dog.

If you're looking to add some definition and muscle density the following things will really help:

-spring pole
    -flirt pole
    -weightpulling/dragweight (get a proper fitting harness)
    -walking
    -biking w/ your dog
    -fetch, fetch, fetch
    -weighted collar (some like it; some don't, I have never used one)
    -treadmill/slatmill/carpetmill (I have my dogs go at a large incline)

6. tjwilkie

tjwilkie Pup

he's 2yrs old now iv tryed most of the above but it doesnt seem to work i think i'll cut his walk and runs down and go for more intense weight pull but just not as long iv got him on the highest proten dog food i can find were i live its 28%pro i dont think it'll be doing the dog any good if it were more proten than that

7. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Walking is one of the best exercises you can do for your dog, provided he is getting what he needs food wise. And again, he will only look as good as genetics will let him. Example: If there is a lot of small backends in his ped, then he will probably have one too. If they are wide in front, chances are he will be wide also. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? If he is genetically lanky that's just him. I think he looks pretty good.

8. HBK

HBK Big Dog

I don't know why you would want to add sizeto that dog, it looks fine. These dogs aren't meant to be bulky dogs but rather have a long lean muscle. You could add a little mass to your dog by doing a little drag weight and flirt pole but I doubt you will get the "size" that you are looking for if by size you mean "bulk". Are you really considering roids ? A raw meat based diet will do wonders if you wan't a "ripped" dog. I hope this helps.
    T

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
  9. fake_usa

fake_usa Pup

Your dog looks good, looks like what ever you been doing is working. What's up with that twine lead? :D

10. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

I'm with everybody just walk and exercise the best thing for him. Long walks good for you and him!

11. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

First of all if you are giving him good feed and doing those exercises he should be more muscular. Start him on a canine all wormer so you know he is free of parasites and get your self some wheat germ oil this will help put weight on and will put shine on his coat. Here is a link http://www.kennelvet.com/dog-skin-coat-supplements-rex-wheat-germ-oil-for-dogs-c-1651_1652_1653.html hope this helps.

12. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

Hey ChDynomite how long have you've been usin the wheat germ oil?

13. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Jblaze i have been using it for years but i went the past year without using it . i just started again because their coats have been a little dry and i want to bulk them up so fare its made a good improvement it always does but i also add flax-seed and fish oils to their food.

14. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Your dog looks fine....

15. cutt

cutt CH Dog

yeah, that dog looks good the way it is. Great answers have been typed already for your question.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  16. tjwilkie

tjwilkie Pup

hi thanks for all the help i wasnt wanting to put loads of mass 1 1/2 2 pounds at the most if i wanted a loads of mass i would av oppted for the hippo type

17. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

You want your dog to be as lean as possible. Think middleweight boxer ;)

18. jdp204

jdp204 Pup

I love your dog he looks very solid. that leg muscle looks hard as rock. also where do you live? that is some gorgeous country right there in the background!!!

19. tjwilkie

tjwilkie Pup

iv just put the dog on the scales and he weight more than wot i thought so i dont thing i'll be going for size just condition thamk for all the replies very greatfull oh and i live in wales