1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Hello all.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by blaukind, Sep 13, 2013.

1. blaukind

blaukind Pup

I'm currently pit bull-less, but I'm here to prepare for when I get my next dog. My APBT Wendy passed away back in February and her absence has definitely left a hole in my life, and my other dog has never been by herself before.

Wendy lived to a ripe old age so it'd been a long time since she'd been in sporting shape, so I'm relearning and researching all my options. With my next dog I'm looking at getting back into schutzhund, or possibly another sport if it turns out schutzhund isn't the best choice. I also do therapy dog training with my dogs. My dogs have always been rescues in various ways(strays, shelter, abandoned), so I'm considering my options with adopting vs a breeder, especially since I know I want a sport dog. I'm interested in talking to anyone who has experience with rescues and sports, and how strong the benefits are of getting a puppy from proven lines.

So I have a lot of research to do, and I'm glad to have this forum as a resource.

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Sorry for your loss.When getting a new dog I'd recommend getting a dog from a good breeder,doesn't have to be a 50 litter per year peddler but just someone who breeds their own stock and you can have an idea of the dog behind your dog. Not as much guesswork that way as to what you're getting. But anyway,stick around,read up and welcome to the forum. :-)

3. smt232

smt232 Pup

Hi blaukind,

I have always had sporting dogs but my current dog is a rescue. Certainly dogs vary from one to another but my current dog is not like my previous game bred dogs (they have all been house dogs). She just doesn't have that special spark. Don't get me wrong, she is a very nice dog but she just doesn't have that special something that my previous dogs did. Again, it may be just her in particular but in the future I will be going back to sporting dogs. The down side of course is problems when you have more than one in the house. I will never have two of the same sex in the house.
    I have never had an adba working type dog and would be interested in someone else chiming in on the personality differences, in general, between adba show/working dogs vs game bred.