1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Helena is off prong heeling!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hells Bells, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Just a couple short weeks ago she was still on the prong! She was doing so well so I decided to take her out on a walk with just her stillwater 1.5 collar on. I made her sit everytime she started to pull. She soon got that idea and those collars offer a pretty good pop. It clangs the loop and buckle together so it also offers a noise. I can pull her up a little off the ground if shes really unruley. And when shes going a little to far ahead I say heeel and she slows her pace. It's not perfect form healing but its a start! I'm going to continue working on it with her.

Had to brag on my baby. :))

2. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Good work.:D
    If I may make a recommendation...I prefer doing an about turn, as opposed to stoping. It seems to get the point across quicker, because it removes the object of their interest.

3. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Yeah thats a good idea, and also to suddenly change directings and pulls the dog away so it has to catch up. I've done that before

4. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Do you do obedience shows and training, if so I have some questions, shoot me a pm. Thanks.

5. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

me no gusto, I let my dog be a bulldog

6. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

websterz28 i wish more people thought like that.

7. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

When I teach OB I teach them in high drive so I always maintain eye contact with my dog. I don't know if you are going for competition OB or just decent heeling. If the have eye contact the do not pull. PM me sometime;)

8. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

oh for the other responses, if you don't like the fact that someone is taking the time to work with there dog and do Obedience, keep your comments to yourself. If more people got off there ass and did something with there dogs maybe we could change minds. Instead we have too many people breeding pedigrees and they sit and rot at the end of the chain. Not saying everyone has to do obedience but weight pull or at least ADBA shows.:rolleyes:

9. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Thank you thank you thank you. I'm a small young woman and my dog is pretty powerful, I can over power her but she wants to walk faster and faster and I don't want my arm pulled out of socket from a walk. And besides it looks better if your dog is heeling on lead. When people pass and see a well trained pit bull they might think better of the them, and a bad impression on ones pulling hard and lunging around like a goof. Maybe thats just me. I want to make a good impression.

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

LOL performance thats funny.These bulldogs have been on chains for hundreds of years.It ain,t about changeing minds if you dont understand then you will never get it. if you want shows & weight pulls there is better dogs for that lol.Be thankfull for the men in the past without them you would not have your dogs.So you can try to change these dogs all you want but a bulldog will always be a bulldog.

11. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I know of many "bull dogs" that are super dogs and ultra dogs in the UKC and they are all well bred dogs. There are many champion show dogs in uck and adba and many many in weight pull and the dogs love it. If your dog is having fun who cares. If you have a DA problem you do as much training as you can for it not to be an issue. And if it's well bred it will have the family dog temperament with the courage and strength isn't that a real bulldog?

12. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

I dont consider pronging a bulldog for acting how any good one should is the type of obedience im interested in...and what do you breed for cuz it sure isnt gameness...oh wait u determined them "game" at 8 mo when they woulnt quit in scnuntzhound...lol

13. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

And why the hell am I going to keep my dog chained. She lives in the house. Shes a calm dog. Even if I get another dog it will be in the house too. If they don't get along it's crate and rotate.

14. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

If you have a high drive 8 mo old dog with a high drive is never a bad thing. It may not mean it was rolled or game tested... but its still has pit bull traits, determination, courage, loyalty, strength. Since dog fighting is illegal now. Some people think the breed should die out. And I'm not going to let that happen. So you got to start showing the dogs in a positive public life. Plus it's nice to own a well trained dog.

Is it bad to have a dog that sits when you stop walking, knows she has to sit at dinner time, who heels on a plain collar, goes to her room when we are leaving with no care about it. We just say bedroom girl. I never used abusive techniques with this dog. She has all her other basic obedience and we are getting it down pat. But she is the most sweet natured dog around people and other animals. I've seen her almost get in a fight a couple times but I was there to stop it. It was with other pit bulls.

15. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

try keeping bulldogs in the house. you will change your tune. A creat is better the a chain ?

16. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

I don't care if the dog is chained temperarilly on a chain but not all day with no exercise. I know of good dogs that I admired the traits in were well bred dogs and they were kept inside and exercised. And the two most hyper were friendly and wanting to play and lick you.

Just because my dog doesn't have a pedigree, does that not make her a pit bull? She lives in the house

17. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

These dogs should have never ben in the public eye anyways . that is what ruin them in the first place. from what you are telling me is you want to take what makes a pit dog a pit dog away? face the FACTS thay are DA . All the bloodlines you ask about in your other post are DA. Never trust them not to fight rule # 1.

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

IDK what your dog is & neither do you. she could be alot of different dogs.you hade a thread asking us?

19. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Why would you put down Hells bells for training her Pet bull? She has never once said she has a true bulldog. Does it make you feel powerful to put down someone for trying with their pet bull? get over it and just say nothing at all. Hells Bells has never been negative in a post, maybe a little too fluffy for a GD site but what do you care?

I have never called Siren game. She is game bred but she has her limits. She is 18 months now so I have no idea what your comment is referring to my 8 mo old dog. I breed for my own reasons. I breed working dogs and prefer gamebred dogs since they give me everything I need in a great working dog.

I have nothing against chaining and think it's better than crating most of the time. But people that breed just to have dogs but do nothing with them other than to say they have bulldogs is a waste of a good dog. People like you two will always hate on people like myself and ultimatek9 for doing something with our dogs, it doesn't bother me. I love the fact I can take a great gamebred bulldog and what ever I want with them. love it or leave it:rolleyes:

20. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Not to mention a well trained dog is a joy to have. I see people daily walking their dogs and being drug behind them. I see prongs on all different breeds, even small breeds. Some people never get off that training tool and I am trying to get my dog off it so I can slap a leash on her and go for a walk. I have a well mannered dog, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I already know that you never trust a pit bull not to fight. And I've said many times on this forum that I'm not getting a 2nd dog until I have a backyard.