1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Helena bombed her GGC

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Hells Bells, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

Helena bombed on her CGC test today. We got there and she was really high strung. And I kept having to tell her to stay while I filled out the form. I was being a little irritable to her because I just woke up trying to get there quick because I thought we were late. Well we were on time. Anyway then I borrowed a martingale type choke because no prongs. So she didn't like that and started behaving badly so I put her "stillwater" collar haha free advertising Anyway long story short we were entering the ring and the little plastic gate fell and made a loud noise and it stunned both of us. She got really spooked so they gave me 5 I took her out tryed to run with her a little. I took her back in she wouldn't go in the ring and I was pretty much dragging her when shes usually dragging ME. She passed the first 3 stations and 4 loose leash she was still draging so I got disqualified... they talked to me about socialization.. and it was "she never acts this way, seriously shes always excited to be there because of all the dogs and people and she has been socialized since a very young age. Oh well we will try again later this year after she goes through novice 1 obedience.

2. cutt

cutt CH Dog

...it happens...though I ve never done anything like that. It sounds like a common mishap..better luck nextime..way to go for the first 3 stations non the less

Cutt

3. kdue

kdue Big Dog

that's better than alot of people including me. much props to you for even trying and passing some. next time will be easy for you.

4. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Sorry to hear. But you do need to get her used to something loud being dropped behind her, as that is actually part of the test. When I tested Envy and Amira, the evaluator dropped a metal weight plate on the concrete floor behind them.
    Start with small noises and increase as her confidence builds.

5. Hells Bells

Hells Bells Top Dog

How should I react if she is afraid of something? I've heard telling them "its ok" enforces their fear, because it's like saying it's ok to be scared. She is more commonly getting spooked by loud noises, she's afraid of fireworks and stuff. She barks at thunder. Today on our walk a guy was working on his lawn and he dropped the shovel and she was nervous to let him pet her, and then we passed a motorcycle cooling off and ticking and she was afraid of it. Whats the best way to get her confident?

Thanks