1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Heavy Chains

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by BMan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

The electrics are for reinforcement as Idgie pointed out. I figure if you can keep a stubborn cow in with a method it will probably work for a dog though slightly modified. Live stock chargers hit hard especially the weed wacker kind so couple that with a good five or 6 foot heavy chain link and they stay home. At least mine do. It does require you to walk fence lines and do some maintanence. The benifit I see is the dogs having running room and getting plenty of good exercise. The only downfall is storms and power outages. It has been "my" experiance that after the dog noses the fence a few times an hour or two without power is not a real risk, they are affraid of the biting wire. Hey but I say again my dogs are not working game dogs, they are rescues, so who knows what their past life was, maybe one that the chain or collar was not good enough.

2. dogmanduke82

dogmanduke82 Big Dog

I have my dogs on a 3\8 chain thats about right uh? Imo A buigger chain has to build muscles and has to make the dog stronger maybe not as cut or muscular but the dogs on the chains has to have more strength has to...

3. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Chains aren't meant for exercise. They are for containment. What is the point of getting a heavy chain? Get one that is big enough to safely contain the dog. Anything bigger than that will just end up harming the dog. If you want your dog to gain muscle, give it some actual exercise.

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

AGAIN, a chain is ONLY meant to properly secure your dog & prevent yard accidents! They are NOT to prevent theft nor are they to be used to make your dog bigger & badder!

NO. Absolutely not. The only thing your dog would be is strung out & broke down at an age when most dogs are just maturing & hitting their prime. Your dog will not be able to hold his head up or look from side to side. Your dog will not be able to sit comfortably nor lie down to sleep comfortably. Bending his head down to eat or drink will only become a painful chore & one that with time he will chose to not do, thereby he will die of dehydration & starvation.

I encourage everyone to put a 2 in collor on their neck & then attach a 30-50lb chain to it. Get on all fours & live like a dog for 2 wks. It will not make you stronger, it will make you weaker. Death would be a nice exchange.

If you want to get your dog in shape, do it yourself. Get off your (in general, not to anyone in particular) butt & go walking. Go jogging. Play fetch in the yard. Let your dog play with a flirt pole. Build a spring pole. Go walking/jogging some more. Conditioning should not only be for your dog, but for you AND the bond between y'all as well. If your not interested in all that, then get a poodle.

Judy likes this.
  5. SLICK WILLIE

SLICK WILLIE Guest

Agree fully! I have seen dogs so broke down in the legs that they look like ducks walking around. Heavy chains are stupid and don't do anything walking cant do for your dog. The dogs are strong anyway and if your not putting it in keep for a show why put the dog through it in the first place. My dogs get plenty of run time on the chain. Most of my chains are 12 to 14 ft long so they can run but they ant Log chains you find on them. 5/8in and easy to lug around without killing the neck and legs!

6. pulldoginks

pulldoginks Banned

most pit bull punka$$ dogmen wantabes use chain weight because they make them look tough and they don't care about the dogs health.Thry don't have there dogs long enought(if you know what I mean) to see what a hevey weight chain will do. And it does more harm than good. Might not show up now but later in life it will .

Yes it works but is a bad idea stick to a good old game of tug of war or use a spring and/or flirt polls :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  7. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I have one that tears the slats off the wooden fence in a matter of seconds ;) A chain link fence on the other side of the privacy fence doesnt seem to stop him either .... and that was with him being on a chain .. (lol had to move him away from the fence..i have an odd shaped yard so he was a bit too close on one side..)

On anther note.. the buried pet fences are not good ideas. First of off, they dont keep other animals or people out of the yard (and in my line of work..nothing sucks more than walking across someone's yard only to find fluffy come tearing after you..with no warning signs or "invisable fence" signs in site..)

but i dont think thats what ga was talking about..

But with a livestock electric / hotwire..its going to depend on where you live and the zoning ordenances

8. To help build muscle, try running, handwalking, treadmill, springpole, swimming. All those things will help with building muscle. I personally wouldn't keep him on a big chain, especially on a younger dog. Mine is only 8 months and I am going to train him to weight pull when he gets a little older. Right now, we go on daily walks (1-2 miles), we play plently of fetch in the yard and he absolutely loves to swim.

9. I saw someone buy a 10 pound chain for his 3 month pit puppy and a lock to make the dog wear around his neck it was sad and stupid

10. As far as using electric fence. I have a 6 foot kennel foot deep cement around with electric wire about foot from ground works great and Yes is phases pits. Untill I put the wire the dogs I had would either climb or dig deep holes or bite/push/pull fence untill came loose from concrete and try to go under.

ZO

11. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Try running an electric fence around the middle of your chain link and leave your dog off the chain. My dogs are never on a chain and I think they are doing great.

12. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

a heavy chain around a dogs neck only leads to spinal problem. a chain should be used to confine a bulldog. and not so heavy that the dogs can't move on their spot. and to build muscle tone on your dog apply the thing you would do ti shape your body the rite way.

13. ste mississippi

ste mississippi Big Dog

I think the same, you have to do any sport exercise for go in bigger is beter

bye