1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Heatstoke during a keep?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by AGK, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

And it will happen again if worked. Heatstroke is heatstroke in dogs as in humans- once it happens, you will never be right/same again.

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Theorectically May end up having to pay the fit. Give rest and try again if you aren't looking right a week and half out pay up and next time hire someone to shape your charge. It's also good practice to record the temperature in a keep log before working. This way theres data on how the dog worked and cooled down depending on the conditions

3. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

What?? If you didn't notice the heat pay up your dog is done for three months.. Their brains over heat they can not cool down and they require rest and may never be the same period depending on the damage ..The dog ran out of electro lights and was too lean like an engine with no oil ...only time will tell the damage ..could of been something else and sounds like something else to me ..But keeps over..Now you need to watch the dogs ..see if he is able to got over 25 period

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

theoretically it's weight called & not dogs get a substitute & keep it moving. about the dog in ? bring it's ass to the prom if it goes in favor sell that ass on the spot. otherwise your going to have to deal with them issues.

5. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

4 weeks in dog goes down with heatstroke, if you go thru with it the dog will be dead in under 30. Doesn't matter how good your dog is- if the other can just dance and hold off, somewhere around 15-20 minutes in your dog will repeat, and will more than likely be dead in another 10 to 15 minutes. Heat stroke is no joke.

6. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

Agreed.....

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Good post rally.....

8. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

I have seen this happen alot i didnt read any post so Im not here to argue, What I have seen is the dogs one are working there ass off hard the diet seems goodyou are addin this and that not keeping it KISS. (No Idea what you are doing in the kitchen that could be part of it) but your dog needs at least 2 weeks rest no hard hot work work him at night more just small hand walking for now, let him lay around for days rub him out one leg at a time, he has alot of (Bad blood so to speak) has he got the runs yet? keep him wet add to his feed . he needs to get rid of the toxins, re do your diet you may need to look at that , Now for the rest of the 4 weeks you need to re do your whole play ground or pay up, You will be better hand walking the rest of the time, your dog will be at a disadvantage but this is some thing you and the dog need to work out, it can be done but you better have a good un

9. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

This happened in a dream last summer. The dog it was about is still around and never did it again. He's been worked since and has never done it again. Yet anyways, and I was wondering because I've never noticed anything like it since but then again I don't run them in the peak of the summer anymore either. Worried about a relapse I suppose.

10. AGK

He didn't have anything abnormal with his stool either. He been feed hi quality feed from 14 weeks forward hes now almost 4. There was literally no difference in the dog 4 hours after and ever since.

11. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

might not have been heat stroke.maybe he cramped up.not saying the other opinions r wrong cause there was good advice given imo

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Oi got to agree with crimson on that..88 degrees is not hot..especially if your dogs in decent shape ..88 aint bad workin weayther at all especially just hand walking..you sure he didnt cramp up from dehydration?

13. AGK

He wasn't with us at all. I carried him 2 blocks home, his legs were straight locked up like a cat on ketimine, his head just wobbled around in circles and while his eyes were open you could tell he wasn't with it at all sort of like when someone gets knocked out and their comming around. I had a collar on him not a harness, he was burning up when you felt him. I put ice packs between his crotch and his arm pits and wiped him down with cold water and he came back around within 15 minutes. With in the hour, was back up tring to run around out back. I put him in a crate in the cellar where its cooler and let him rest up. It never happened again. I also never really worked him that hard since then either other than regular exercise. I keep them all around 2 - 4 lbs above show weight year round mostly just because I'm an active person by nature. But I also have fed TOTW for years now and have noticed they always are very lean.

Would something like pedi-lite be a good thing to give during hotter days if your working a dog?

14. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I said 88 isnt bad workin weather..it is hot and you do need to becareful..i will walk mine when its that hot but I dont push him and I watch him very close and I will give him breaks in a shaded area if he needs it..you just got to be rela careful watch his tongue and mouth and how hard he is breathing..so yes 88 is hot but where I live its always hot..I like to walk some when its hot cause to me it really tells how good of shape he is in..jmo..but i let him create the pace and we he wants to stop and sniff around i dont rush him.but it gets really hot where I live..i only wish it would stay around 88 all summer.

15. AGK

I didn't think it was too hot either. He doesn't just walk though, he's balls to the wall the whole time. I thought about maybe he choked himself out but the dog in my avatar will do that when wearing a collar because she digs in the whole time but I've also noticed her tongue starts to turn blue and she gasps for air. I make her stop to catch her breath or did before I just used a harness with her. The dog in question did not look like that before he went down.

16. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you need to put the ice on the head . not the crotch or arm pits . the brain is what's hot and you have to cool it down fast .

17. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

it sounds to me like he had a seizure man..prob wrong but its what it sounds like..dogs i have saw will just lay down when they get too hot..and thats it..no straight legs or locked legs..just lay the hell down and its over..

18. AGK

I just assumed his core temp would come down fast that way. Thats what they do to people who spike high temps in the er. I was kind of panicking a bit thinking I was about to loose him at the time. Never really though to put it on his head. Hopefully it wont happen again but will keep that in mind if t ever does.

19. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

This is what I was thinking too! Dogs can become dehydrated too especially when they are being worked they loose water you have to keep them hydrated dogs can overheat quickly. When a dog becomes dehydrated their electrolytes can become depleted/low if a dogs electrolytes are off even just a little low in potassium and magnesium that will cause the cramping and even heart rhythm irregularities. I have heard of people doing all kinds of shit with dogs in keeps even fasting them from water which is something I personally wouldn't do ever. I also agree with benthere about not working them in the heat and you should have a full blood panel done to rule out any sort of imbalance or deficiency.

20. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Oh just wanted to add pedialyte is good stuff I personally give my dogs powerade zero on hot days when I take them out which I try not to but it doesn't have all that sugar in it so I prefer it over other sports drinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.