1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

having time condition

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by CAMGA, Jun 19, 2005.

1. CAMGA

CAMGA Pup

I work and go to college when school is in but in the summer I have to workout and do of things. how do you fit in your dogs workout because IM have a hard time with that. what is your schedule like? what is your dogs schedule with his workout that you do for him?

2. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Put the dogs first, if you dont have adequate time to spend with them now, either you need to sacrafice some things to have time to spend with your dogs, or get rid of them. An example I quit working out because I felt my time would be better used keeping my dog in shape, as a substitute for lifting, we run about 3 miles every day and let him swim in the river also.

3. B

B CH Dog

Good post rock! There is always time for the dogs. Waking up earlier or going to bed later to get your dog the proper exercise is crucial to keeping a happy dog. I work days so I either get up earlier and bike / jog on the trails near my house or if worse comes to worse, we play ball on our property. We can play ball for 20-30 minutes and the dogs will get a decent workout. I make them sprint to get it and run it STRAIGHT back to me. They gets a few 30 second breaks. This type of work encourages a quick recovery. It is similar to HIIT training that many athletes use. I've had great success using it especially when I don't have time to jog or bike a trail.

Regards,

B

4. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Get a good free turning mill, even if your not currently having the dog in a keep you can use it to make your dog in great prekeep ready shape with only 15 minutes or so every day especially if feeding the minimum of a good clean food, if you cant afford or build a FREE TURNING mill get an open spot and a 100 foot or longer nylon rope and throw a ball around and let your dog go wild for it for as long as he wants too or get a good bike and do wind sprints for 5 minute sessions a couple few times a day just make sure every time your dogs gets a good workout he also gets a good walk down after exercize and rubdown after that...and remember your dog will tell you when he has been worked enough that day... when he breaks stride or just keeps stopping to rest...this is time to let him recover... I dont see the need to check heart rates here since your just keeping him exercized but it is a good indicator if he keeps wanting to break stride on a bike or chasing a ball around you can put him up and feed him./. and dont ever be afraid to rest him either...thats the point of letting him do it himself freely...its called rest... and your dog will tell you when he needs it...

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Guest

I use a human electric treadmill modified for a dog. Its real quite and can be done privately indoors. You can also adjust the speed from a very slow walk to almost a brisk sprint. But remember you must watch your dog at all times while using the E-mill never leave him alone not even for a couple of minutes. Oh yeah by the way if your E-mill has automatic incline you can use that to simulate hill running and to increase his strength and muscle tone.