1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Has Anyone heard oh this in Ga.?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by carson3535, Jul 20, 2005.

1. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

Has Anyone heard of this in Ga.?

I was told by a person that they heard on the news that Ga. was passing a law to ban none papered pitbulls and pitbulls that are papered half to be spayed or neutered.

How true is this and does anyone have any info?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2005
  2. njchmin

njchmin Big Dog

Im not sure since i dont live in Georgia but it sounds like BSL to me and the thing they were trying to pass failed.

3. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

I never heard it but I think its is just a few thoughts and amendments off of being a good idea. Not to infringe on peoples constitutional rights but I think if a dog is BYB or bred for no reason it should not legally be able to be compared to a papered dog off the original stock...thats like having a super nice gamedog, proven, great with people and even strangers like they should be, and breed it to curs and impure stock, different breeds... and when man biters and aggressive crazy dogs come up blame it on the original breed because it looks like a pit bull, Not Fair...IMO you should not be able to take a dog with no verifiable history or not game bred or a BYB bred dog and compare them to what they look like... even if its a good guess.... it should be seperated in peoples mind as a bully bred type of dog... and gamedogs should be thought off as their own breed,... the father of all the breed strains called APBT, be happy of the strains and crosses like Dogos and Hog dogs used for a good purposes or for show and weight pull and hog dogging, their our gamedogs children and creations, but they have a purpose, the backstreet curs and news paper rescues with no history or purpose at all should not be allowed to be used in statistics for a "WHOLE" family of bully type dogs under 1 umbrella named APBT...NOT FAIR>>>ITs like the term ABPT being used for like 7 types of dogs and 7 different uses, it should be seperated and divided, I bet you 901$ youd see a huge difference in bite statistics and gamedogs would almost be none of them, because people with true gamedogs dont walk them around in public and they limit the flow of people walking around the yard and game dogs were and are bred for no human aggression, when you start crossing and mixing breeds you start getting different traits that shouldnt be allowed to be blamed on a strain generations away... with 100% different personalities and breeding purposes for use. Its stupid to lump them together...I would think its ok to ban BYBs because they have no use, weigh pullers and hog dogs should be in their own association and agility theirs papered as such, blues and staff/mastiff crosses and other cur strains theirs ..registered as such and so on...it would clarify the facts and show you which ones you dont want around...and usually its the ones with no use or purpose that people make excuses for when they bite and then they breed to other unverifiable dogs for color or size or looks because they look APBT and they get more manbiters...kill them all...if they are useless...they give the ones being used for SOMETHING at least.... a bad name... by using their name...unfairly...

4. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

They were considering a pit bull ban and as far as I know, it didn't matter if the dog was papered or not. I have heard that the ban will not be passed. Instead, they are working on a way to work against vicious dogs. Not a specific breed.

5. That's the only way it can really be passed. There is Federal law that prohibits States and municipalities from passing ordinances towards specific breeds. Don't worry, my city had an "insurance and muzzle" ordinance that was eventually overturned by a persistant dogman. He appealed and appealed until it reached federal court.

6. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

What you heard about the GA deal was anything they deemed to be a bully, and no it did not pass.

7. Response to MisterDogMan

I have a question. I do not have a weight pulling pit, so i dont really know much about the sport, but what exactly is the purpose of making your pit bull pull weights other than to make it stronger, ripped, athletic? MisterDogMan implied that there is an actual use for this. Is there an actual practical application to this sport? i am just asking because I am curious and would like to know a bit more about it not because I feel the need to critisize.

Also in response to to MisterDogMan's idea to kill off all non game bred pit bulls just because they dont have a "use" ( eg. weight pulling).The judgemental attitude you have is the same as the people that are trying to ban this breed, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, like the gorverments that are banning our breed. Just beacuse some breeders don't breed solely on gameness, does not mean their dogs completley lack of it. Many breeders that I know, breed for temperment, health, conformation, and drive. All of the above can form a perfectly good pit bull, whether being used as a companion or for some different purpose

8. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

Oh and be aware trop86 not all peeps in here mean gameness in the way of pulling. They mean it in a more traditional way.

9. Response

BTW. As for people who think that just because a pit doesn't weigh 50 pounds or under, doesnt mean its been crossed with a different breed of dog. Its a term called selective breeding. Afterall, every breed of dog originally came from the wolf. Man then selectivley bred them for different traits.

yes, i understand the gameness is not just for weight pulling and is a traditional trait. IMO, I just don't think its fair for some game breeders to post such biast and ignorant remarks about other pit bulls.

10. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Re: Response

These dogs were selectively bred to be under 75 lbs and most prefer them much smaller. That is the standard. When they are bred apart from the standard is where many of us get frustrated. The selective breeding for a large size dog should have stopped when the standard was adopted. Unfortunately, there are people who feel that the standard doesn't mean anything and that they can "selectively breed" dogs to be the size that they feel will best meet their interests. Not the dogs.
    You don't see people breeding massive German Shepherds. Do you know why? Because they respect the breed and the dogs. Breed the dogs to the standards.

11. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Re: Response to MisterDogMan

Not all dogs came from the Wolf, they were selectively bred from the wolf via the Jackal first... they came from Jackals and Wolves basically, do your research... I will leave you some below to look at, I wasnt referring to killing them all, I was referring to BYBs that give our breed a bad name, and dogs that have no purpose like BYB dogs, unless theyre fixed and used as a house pet ONLY...no option to breed EVER,... there are a lot of dogs called APBT that serve no purpose except keeping these useless dogs available to ignorant people that want them for looks or some other no good reason except to raise bite statistics for the true gamebred dog which almost never bites people,,, just because they look APBT and come from a BYB then the whole APBT umbrella gets blamed...its not fair...if thats the case then I stand by my word..no one here would miss BYBs especially our shelters,,,kill em all. We need to have strict rules to save what we want to save and thats the original gamedog not its useless sub strains...at least the ones used for pulling and hog dogging are doing something and not just being bred for nothing...they have become a somewhat purposeful strain...BYBs have not and never will be..

Heres some neat stuff about dog origins I hope you really like it, its educational. Mister..

This chain started furthest back with ancient Creodonts, which became Miacis, which begat Cynodictus, which gave rise to Cynodesmus, which evolved into the Tomarctus. OK, these are really just fun names. I suggest that you memorize them and find a way to use them in conversation at dog shows to show off your extreme level of canine induced psychoses. Our history lesson will really start with the Tomarctus which gave rise to the wolf which was eventually selectively evolved into the familiar dog.

<TABLE id=table2 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="59%" bgColor=#9bd460>Cynodictis</TD></TR><TR><TD width="59%">Next in evolutionary line from Miacis was an Oligocene animal called Cynodictis, which somewhat resembled the modern dog. Cynodictis lived about 20 million years ago. Its fifth toe, which would eventually become the dewclaw. Cynodictis also had 42 teeth. </TD></TR><TR><TD width="59%" bgColor=#9bd460>Tomarctus</TD></TR><TR><TD width="59%">After a few more intermediate stages the evolution of the dog moved on to the extremely doglike animal called Tomarctus, which lived 10 million years ago during the late Miocene epoch. Tomarctus probably developed the strong social instincts that still prevail in the dog.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]
    artist representation of Tomarctus
    What is the importance of the Tomarctus? It is really a behavioral trait, which I feel starts our historical journey logically with Tomarctus. As we saw the Tomarctus existed a long long time ago. Tomarctus apparently lived much like the wild dogs and wolves of today. It was a predator that probably looked like a cross between a wolf and a jackal, with short prick ears and a long tail that it used to maintain balance while hunting. What makes the Tomarctus of greatest interest is that is was most likely the creature that first developed those strong social instincts that still prevail in the dog today. It is this social behavior evolved over millions of years that makes the dog a companion animal and one that relates best to hierarchical orders of dominance in its family. What this means is that your dog has a deeply ingrained need to be a part of a pack or family. It needs either to have a strong leader (alpha) or to be the leader. In the Bronze Age, it is believed that the Tomarctus evolved into a small strain of gray wolf that probably inhabited what is now India. Thereafter, this Asiatic wolf due to migration and environmental events became widely distributed throughout Europe, Asia, and North America further evolving into various wolf subtypes. Most of this evolution was due to selective environmental influence but it is thought that man may have also had some selective influence on the evolution of various wolf strains at this time. Dogs descended both from this ancestral wolf and its various strains, it is also possible that some of the dogs of today descended not only from the wolf but also or rather from the jackal.

12. TommyT. Yes, that is a good point that they should be bred to their standard and I completley agree with that. However, if they do exceed the standard weight, it does not nessescarily mean they have been cross- bred with a diff. breed, which was what I was trying to point out.

I have another question. Do people who own game-bred pits use the UKC standard of an APBT or more of an unwritten traditional standard?

13. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Its a standard called gameness, no association, kennel club or group says other wise, us who own gamedogs do not go for looks, size, color or head or anything except the will to to be Alpha. That is the unwritten rule.

14. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Guess if you follow the bloodlines back far enough....they are all related....LOL
    From my understanding, canines started following humans around to scavenge our leavings....they basically cleaned up our messes.That is how,as I understand it, the human/canine relationship began.
    Now....humans seems ready to prevent any form of evolution from occuring when it comes to our dogs.

15. Response

DryCreek. That is exactly what I read in one of my books. Well thats the theory they have come up with anyway.

MisterDogMan. Thanks for the history lesson lol. Seriously though, it was interesting to learn more about the roots of the dog. Also, in regards to your previous post, thankyou for making your statement more clear. I agree that there are too many BYBs trying to make soem quick bucks off of pit bulls with no history (health etc.) and bad temperments who just end up falling into the hands of the wrong people.

In general, I don't think its wrong to breed a pit for looks if temperment, drive and health are the other major contributing factors to why your breeding it.

Vicki likes this.
  16. Yes,.. I live here in Columbus, GA. Columbus is right next to Phonix City, and phonix city is in alabama, and what happen was this. A Pit Bull killed a about 60 year old lady in alabama, alabama is right across our river walk here.

Then I heard news that Georgia want to put out a law which say avery Pit bull over 6 month old are allowed and all new born Pit bulls are banned.

That accident with the old lady happen abput 3 month ago. At the beginning i heard a lot of the Pit Bull bann that GA waht to brong out. I alos hear the places like La Grange in GA already have this law. well,.. i don't hear anyything nomore, also i talked o tmy neigb. he's a pro. Pit Bull breeder and he don't hear nothing either.

It looks like the ban not going to be in place all over ga. Personaly, i'm upset about the idea to ban a dog liek the A. Pit Bull. ... It's funny to me to see all other animals bitting more people then the Pit B. and those guys in the offices don't even thibnk about doing anything... and the point is that a lot of people put a negative picture on theA. Pit bull.... My Pit, a blue brindle,.. never showes agression towards human,.. well sometimes he sense a "not good person" and he's watching out... .... but he is very gentle with a lot of people, even kids.

it's a shame, people don't know about a breed .. but they like to put a bad image on a breed and then ban them without knowing the background ...

17. hey, Representative "Coach " Williams proposed this ban because he had a family member mauled by a pit bull, he told us that at the beginning of the year when we first started going to meetings. There were very few people to attend these meetings but we also flooded their emails and answering machines and mail boxes with reasons we opposed the bill. Everyone that came to the meeting was bringing educational material for Rep. Williams and one woman invitd him to their show so he could be around them. Well, Monday he tolds us he never thought he would get so much of a response and that he appreciated all of the materials he was given and the research people brought him and they have decide to take the breed specific part out of the bill, and revise it so it targets all types of aggresive dogs and their owners.

18. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

We May Have Won The Battle But Not The War This Is Definetly A Good Thing That He Went From Resenting The Breed To Considering That It Is More Than Just Pits That Can Be Quote Vicious

19. LOON3

LOON3 Pup

Re: Has Anyone heard of this in Ga.?

20. Tiara

Tiara Big Dog

Hopefully at some point the Federal Government will step in and put a permanent end to BSL nationwide. However, when the State of Colorado passed a bill making it illegal to enact breed specific legislation, Denver got it overuled due to it being a "Home Rule" city and got to keep their ban in place. Now the city of Aurora (suberb of Denver) who is also a home rule city, is talking about a ban.

So I think that ALL OF US need to be worried and send letters to anyplace in America that's trying to ban our breed. One of the council people in California said that they received over 1500 e-mails (I was one 'em!) and about 90% were against the ban, so they are considering other options instead of a full out ban. Voicing your opposition HELPS!!! Check the laws & legislation section of this forum and send letters to those cities considering a ban. We need to be united.