1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Harness v. Collar walking

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by bulldogg, Mar 7, 2012.

1. bulldogg

bulldogg Pup

What are the benefits of each or the downside? personal opinions are fine thanks!

2. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I like my dog to know the difference between control and fun. My dog knows if I snap the collar he is going to obey and walk right next to me without being an ass. When I clip on his walking harness he can act a fool and do whatever he wants. Walking next to me for 10 miles won't do anything for him in the exercise department, so whenever we workout he is on his harness towing me for whatever I miles we walk.

If I take him to the vet or somewhere in public for an errand he knows the collar means act like a good boy lol

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

4. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

Collar PROS:
    - Good, easy corrections
    - Easy to put on
    - Can put a prong collar as well as a back-up if your dog pulls

Collar CONS:
    - If your dog is a stubborn puller, he can hurt his neck when he pulls on a collar (ESPECIALLY if said collar is a choke chain)

Harness PROS:
    - Easier on the dog's neck
    - More comfortable

Harness CONS:
    - No corrections
    - If the dog wants to pull, his head is no longer held back and he can pull you as strong as he wants for as long as he wants

5. bulldogg

bulldogg Pup

Thanks for the responses, especially the redirect....my objective is to give the dog the best workout not so much focused on the problem of a dog pulling.. again thanks for all responses.

6. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Collars offer more control but can be hard on a dog's throat. Harness is really good for walking ,but a harness basically was designed for working dogs so they tend to pull more with a harness on. I prefer a walking harness its better for the dog and they get a better workout . It all depends on what u are looking for.

7. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

Yup
    It's like if someone pushes on your chest, your reaction is to push against their hand - it's the same with a harness on a dog.
    Personally, I'd just go for a plain ol' buckle collar if you're going for a run or a walk or whatever. It's a shame winter is leaving, a harness on a pit would be a riot with a sled, heh

8. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

I like this reply! Thats how I have to make my dog be, I was in a bad car accident a few years ago, broke my neck and screwed up my right shoulder/arm area and I NEED my dog to know the difference between walking properly and not pulling AT ALL and when its okay for him to act like a regular pit bull typed dog and pull and run like a fool.
    If he even pulls or jerks it might not hurt me right that second, but in a few hours I will be in so much pain and have a nerve overreacting that causes a migraine like headache for days, so his perfect walking manners is a must.

I walk/run my dog on a prong collar usually to maintain perfect control, he is DA and has a prey drive like no other and the prong really has saved me (and him) many many times during our exercise when stray or loose dogs or any prey shaped thing run up or whatever and he really wants to get it :p
    Since I have been working with him more and more we have almost phased out the prong but I still will use it when walking him, just in case a dog decides to run up because its easier to keep him from acting a fool and screaming and ending up starting a fight that might not have happened had he just sat and stayed quiet.

For his flat collar walks and long line running and such he is on a 2'' collar so it distributes his "pulling" and stuff evenly on his neck so it doesnt hurt his trachea or anything, its not a buckle collar because I hate buying a million collars when his neck is still growing some lol its a no buckle slide collar, so he has only had two collars in 15months, which is nice! Once this one doesnt fit (because its still brand new looking and wont wear out anytime soon) he will be getting a buckle collar because I think his neck should be done growing, maybe Stillwater or some custom Chicago Bear's 2'' crypton collar..

See here is his flat collar when he was playing at the park on his 50' rope
    [​IMG]

Okay lol end ramble :o