1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Harness question

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BostonBully, May 29, 2009.

1. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

A little info first. My dog will be a year old June 4 and I was thinking about getting a harness so he could pull some light stuff around the yard to get a little more muscle and exercise. At this time I don't plan on him pulling anything heavy so I was wondering if I could use a regular harness instead of a pulling harness? I was hoping I could buy a good stillwater harness so I could use it to pull and for walks. Any opinions?

2. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

No only because it will not put the load on the dog in the right spots. You could get an injury to your dog that way. You really should have a spreader bar so that you are distributing the weight evenly. Tablerock has a training harness that is cheap or you can get a cheap harness somewhere and just use that. I have pulled up to 300lbs on a training harness but is not really made for weight so I don't suggest doing anything heavy than that.
    http://tablerockharness.com/TrainingHarnesses.htm

3. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

Thanks for the info and link. This is exactly why I asked the question. The last thing I want to do is hurt my dog. I was thinking a tire or something like that for now. I don't have the cash for a drag sled right now so I was thinking cheap and simple.

4. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

For a drag weight I use some old stumps with an eye bolt in them, they work great!