1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

guard dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by texas_dogger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I totally agree with ABK! Please don't get anything that could be mistaken for an APBT to use as guard or protection. I have a friend that lives in Tyler TX and has Filas in the yard with his gamebred APBTs. There isnt enuf money in the world to get me to try to get into that dam yard. I love any dog, anywhere, but these are trained and will scare the bejesus outta anybody. Big ole dogs too.:eek: He said Mexicans was stealing his dogs until he got the Filas. No more of that I promise ya.

2. teras

teras Big Dog

i like rotweillers a lot. mostly i like their style. agile but quiet initialy.

dobbermans are great too i suppose

malinois can definitely do the job but they are too mouthy at times, they just dont shut up. also, they need to exersice daily more than the other two and i think they are also more human-centric than the other two.

as it happens with pits, be carefull where you buy from...

3. Where did that happen?

4. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i agree with not using apbt or anything that can be placed as one. i use a rottie myself. smart, strong and protective of where we live. never had any problems w DA but i may be the one guy that got lucky. after doing some reading tho i believe a dober. would be the dog for the job. from what i have read they are smart and loyal dogs.

5. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

like i said before , filas are the shit, you seriously wont get past one with out an elephant gun, or a bulldozer! as you can probly tell filas are my next favourite breed next to apbt.

6. Rickf3

Rickf3 Big Dog

I've been researching guard dogs and I find this one intriguing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_ridgeback
    http://dogbreeds.bulldoginformation.com/thai-ridgeback.html

I also like the Doberman if you want a dog that size, I like my house dogs a little smaller like the German Pincer versus the Doberman. If your looking for a guard dog to primarly be outdoors and live in a cold climate, the Akita might be a good choice.

In any event, I think if you find a good guard dog that is able to walk around a yard of game bred pits and not have a yard fight, you have performed a small miracle... I think Rotts keep to themselvs well and that might increse your chances of success. Dogos have been breed to be pack dogs which is also bettering your odds. Rotts over Dogos in cold weather...

7. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Ive got a mate that lives in a not so nice part of wstrn sydney that breeds ridgebackss for hunting. Great dogs for property guarding as they are very intelligent and selective barkers. They just know when something isn't right. No DA in any of them as they hunt in packs. And have one hell of a nose! Boerbol mastiff are great aswell although not as nimble and prone to hip and eye problems

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well I have had several guard dogs over the years, And I have had my favorites.

I have had a American bulldog before and I loved that dog, But that was a long time ago back when they were a different breed from today. Not only was he a good watchdog but he looked tough and people were wary of him. I also liked how he was a good hunting dog.

I have had a Great Pyrenees before and the dog was a good dog, But they weren't really meant for guard work in my opinion. I gave him to a ranching buddy of mine and the dog has thrived as a live stock dog. I think they are good watch dogs but not dependable enough to be a good watchdog, They are more for coyotes and such and will never fail you there.

I have had Rottweilers before and I was pleased with them until they turned on my wife, So both of them were put down and for a long time I had nothing as far as guard dogs.

Now I have a doberman and I really enjoy him quite a bit, He isn't grown yet but he hasn't shown a bad sign from the time I brought him home. I have had friends that also have had them and they all said they were great, So I would recommend you try one of those.

Another good dog I like is a Plott hound, Good watch dogs and good hunting dogs to.

9. ganja

ganja Big Dog

you first got to know what kind of protection you want...
    if you want a dog that will stand his ground and try to keep the entruder from coming in or a dog that will really attack them...

the dogs I know that are likely to stand their ground tough will most likely be DA, but if you seperate your bulldogs from your guard dog with a fence their shouldn't be to much problems...

10. BGD

BGD Pup

IMO you can't go wrong with a well-bred Bandog they've got awesome natural guarding instincts but they're soft as anything with the family. If you pick the right bitch dog aggression wouldn't be a problem either.

This is my Bandog (APBTxBM X AMBULL) he's only 19months and he's already shaping up into a serious guard, in the house/yard if I'm with you and you're being friendly you're safe but if I'm not there you won't get past the gate. Out of the house at night no-one can get close to me without him pushing them away but during the day if you approach with a smile he'll be happy to be petted. I used to keep shepherds and rottis but now I don't think I'll ever be without a Bandog of some kind.

Here's a few pics of Diesel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mw9661

mw9661 Pup

If you are 100% confident in your fencing then I would say get an older bitch from a breeder of say Rotts or Dobes have her fixed and use her for the time being, then get yourself a Caucasian Ovtcharka (CO/KO) puppy and I promise if raised correctly and from a good breeder (some excellent import breeders in the U.S.A) you will never have to worry about so much as a squirrel coming near your yard/house. They can be quite DA, however when brought up correctly they are fine and there is a reason why they are regarded by MOST people (obviously not all) as the best PP/property guardian in the world, however they can come up to 200lb so I know it's a lot bigger than you want but if you want the best IMHO thats what to get and you have the land to keep one. If you need more info on the breed or any mollossers go to www.Molosserdogs.com there are breeders and owners of all molossoid dogs from all over the world there just try not to talk too much about dogs in the [] ;). hope this helps.

12. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

IN my humble opinion, you can get ANY large breed scary dog (Rottweiler,fila, mastiff, ovarka,doberman,bandog), yes , they are all good deterrents and a bad guy will think twice before even attempting to do something, but when the sh*t hits the fan MOST of them so called naturual guardian instincts dog will curr out with its tail under their legs, and if they do attack the bad guy, it would be a liabilty to you, because they are biting out of fear and if your not present to off your dog from the bad guy, you could have a law suit in your hands, I believe most dogs mentioned above and similar can be a great protection dog , but they are not born with it, you have to get a proffessional trainer , its so worth it , if your end goal, is for your dog to protect your home and family. Peace OUt.........

13. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

On top of having the softest mouth out of the guard breeds.

14. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

Ive never been bitten by a dog that had a soft mouth

what does that feel like?

15. AGK

Depending on what state you live in, this is not correct. A Beware of dog sign WITH a private property sign will in most cases protect you from a law suit if a dog bites someone on your property. This was told to me by a civil Lawyer when I asked how to protect myself from this very same situation. The beware of dog sign alone will tell the court you willing admit you have a dog that is conciderd dagerous to the public but combine it with the No Trespassing sign and it tells the court that your land is private property and with the beware of dog sign shown together will in most cases protect the land owner from a lawsuit.....A No trespasing sign tells the puplic that they are on private property and therefore conciderd trespasers, so if the dog bites them, it's at their own risk due to the land being labled private property. This is of course dependant on what state you live in and their laws ( I can only speak for PA)

16. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

^^^^I think its the same in Texas

I dont think it matters what type of dog it is you should have a sign in texas

17. AGK

Idunno.....I've only been bitten by bulldogs so I don't know, but I have a book called K-9 Bodygaurd and it's by a guy (can't recall his name off the top of my head) but He is a sought after trainer for both Protection work and Police K-9 units. He said they have the weakest bite of all the protection breeds. Plus IMO Dobbies look scary but in reality there head is the size of mans fist so in my mindstate, I would knock one the Fuck out..... but then again maybe not..... Bobby's is a bit bigger than most I see, the majority of dobermans I see are only maybe 40 - 60 lb dogs.

18. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

but look at the IVORY them dobs are packing it hurts to think about getting bit by one

19. AGK

True, it's no fun getting bit by any dog and in most cases there is going to be more than just one of them comming.

20. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

That is Michael Harlowe, He has a good head on his shoulders when it comes to protection dogs.

He was a k9 officer for quite some time and he is very bulldog friendly, He has quite a few American bulldogs and such in there as I recall. Only thing I don't agree with him is having a Pit for a attack dog because it is getting into the territory of having a manfighter there. No dog could do a better job of it but I just can't sit well with having them bite people even in a trained matter and in a protection situation.