1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

guard dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by texas_dogger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Phebes

Phebes Pup

I agree!! I had GSDs and prefer Dobies. After owning Dobies for 20 years I have found that males are DA but you can have a whole pack of females running together all over your property without any DA.
    People still fear them as they did in the 70s and 80s and tend to stay away from your property.

2. KBK

KBK Big Dog

I know this is an old thread but I also like the GSD, had one and nobody that wasnt family could get near the house, that also went for my neighbours houses to the left an right as wel lol, no postman or milkman could come in the gardens, not to DA either

3. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

I gotta a Presa they some fierce little suckers

4. TNK

TNK Pup

Malinois X Dutch Shepard,everything a GSD dreamed of being :cool:

5. peppapig

peppapig Banned

dobby or gsd......the authorities dont use them for nothing....they are fast,strong,smart....and teeth like most other dogs...you dont need a monster to bring a man down....lol....id back off from jrt if it was looking some hassle....lol

6. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I'll just break it down simple:

Doberman: Best bet. People are scared of them due to their "attack dog" image. Short, easy care coat. Natural protective instinct.

Rottweiler: Used these before myself. Too DA. Plus, people (in my area at least) will steal a Rottweiler as fast as they'll steal a pit bull, so there is no real deterrent factor there.

Rhodesian Ridgeback: Never used one, but I have heard they are bad DA.

German Shepherd: Used a couple Sheps before myself. Great deterrent dogs who will back up their bark BUT their coat is such a hassle to keep clean & combed out if kept outdoors. This is why we switched to the smooth coated Doberman. The Doberman has all the positive qualities of the GSD, but none of the coat upkeep.

Belgian Malinois: I was around these dogs in the military. I'd never EVER own one. They are great working dogs, but they're as likely to eat you up as they are to eat up a stranger. The Mals I saw were great protection dogs, but were nutty as fruit cakes. A Belgian Tervuren or Belgian Sheepdog (breeds related to the Malinois) might work, as they're still protective but much more stable tempered & not as squirrelly as Mals. But since both the Tervuren & Sheepdog are long coated, you'll again coat care issues.

Akita: Never used one but knew a couple. Great guard dogs, but majorly DA & again you'll have coat care issues.

Other breeds mentioned:

Dogo & American Bulldog: Both effective guard dogs but they can be DA. Plus, if they bite anyone it'll likely be labeled as a "pit bull attack" & we don't want that. The breed will take a blow & you'll be legally liable for any damages. Plus, they may draw IN more riff-raff than they deter b/c a lot of people think Dogos & American Bulldogs are just giant "pits". I got rid of my American Bulldog for that very reason. I'd walk her when she was a pup & I'd get all kinds of compliments on my "pit" & all kinds of scuzz asking me where I got her, did I want to sell her, etc. I had a hard enough time trying to conceal my other bulldogs, I didn't want to attract any more by having a big, solid white "pit." :rolleyes:

Central Asian Ovcharka: Awesome guard dog, but I have heard they are DA & you'll have major coat upkeep issues.

Cane Corso & Presa Canario: Again will be mistaken for giant pit bulls & thus likely to DRAW riff-raff than they will deter. Big dogs don't always scare everyone. You wouldn't believe how many people would stop on the highway & come up to my house to look at my Neos (one reason we stopped using them). Plus again, if a CC or PC bites it will likely be initially labeled a "pit bull attack."

Beagle: They can be mean as hell (I owned one that was downright vicious) but due to their size & cuddly image, they won't be much of a deterrent & can be dispatched easily.

Fila: Great guard dogs. May be DA.

Dutch Shepherd: Never owned one but worked with some. Great guard dogs & very stable.

Ones I've found to be most effective:

* Doberman

* German Shepherd (if you are up to the brushing)

* Chow (if you are up to the brushing or keeping the coat cut short)

* Blue Heeler & Blue Heeler mixes (these are mean little suckers & a lot of people are scared of them!)

* Coonhounds (tend to be territorial so they can make good guard dogs, but some can be DA)

And in closing I would like to say if you get a Dobie or GSD, it does NOT have to be Euro bred. None of mine were & they were great dogs. They were actually all BYB bred dogs. Now the American SHOW dogs are ruined & pretty much good for nothing. But if you get a Dobie or GSD from cooter down the road who is using his brood stock to guard HIS junk, you can still get a good guard dog. lol.

This has just been my experience. Hope this helps.

7. Pretty much any Guard Dog will be DA.

Like colby said English Mastiffs may do the trick as they save there energy for the real work.

If I were you I'd choose of the 3.

English Mastiff, Doberman Pincher, Black Mouth Cur.

8. Muttkip

Muttkip Big Dog

Best guard dog I've ever had hands down is my little 17 pound Dachshund.....he's a mean little shit!

He's got a loud ass bark and shows his teeth to everyone he doesn't know. His bark sounds like a damn Rottie! And when he attacks he goes straight for the ankles and won't let go.

People laugh when they see him, and are crying and begging us to lock him up when he charging the door. H's fine so long as you're with me, but come in my yard without me...it's on!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. dadecounty

dadecounty Big Dog

I got A 6yo american bulldog that is A great guard dog.Last year two kids tried to steal A couple off puppies but did not know jhonson(am.bulldog's name)was hiding under the deck when they went in the kennel I guess he came out and trapped them.My neighbor saw the hole thing & called the cop's.When they got there jhonson would not let them in.They had to call me at work.When I got there the two kid's where in the kennel.caught red handed.I love this dog ive owned him longer than I have any of my gamedog's.I got him fixed 4 years ago to try and reduce his dog agression & ive had no problems with him & my GDS.Its almost like he knows his boundries.

10. That's a great story.

11. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yeah, great story. But again, if the dog would have decided to bite instead of hold guess what it would have been reported as?? American Bulldog attack? Not likely. The headlines would have more like;y screamed "Pit Bull mauls child!!!!" This is a prime reason not to use American Bulldogs or ANY breed that even remotely looks like an APBT for a guard dog.

12. BA08/15

BA08/15 Big Dog

seems as if you never came across a good gsd ;)

i would not recommend a dobe, mostly because lots of them around here are only bred for size and looks...

what about a dalmatian? they can be quite mean ;)

13. Muttkip

Muttkip Big Dog

I can't believe no one mention this breed the Chihuahua!! (Sorry Michele!)

They make amazing guard dogs! LOL

14. Crap on the jokes....

There's a difference between Guard Dogs and Protection Dog imo, there was a great description a year or two back at pitbullforum but couldn't find it.

If I were you I'd get a Central Asian Ovcharka however they have a very HIGH level of Dog Aggression, they're the most common used dogs in dog fighting in the Middle East.

Both Rottweilers and Dobermans have horrible Hip problems due to overbreeding.

Black Mouth Curs can be very aggressive towards strangers and protective of property/especially family/master so i've heard.

15. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Ooooh, good choice! They are mean SOBs!

16. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

fila , fila , fila. if you give one some good training they are nothing short of fantastic at that for a job, they thrive on it. and they do it naturally, and make it a pet and you and your family will never feel safer. some can be a bit da, but they arenot the sort of dog that will chew through a wire fence to get to your bulldogs.
    i would really look into some thourough research re the Belgians malonois, as i have heard of a funny genetic trait some have and they can just snap. if you can get some without they would be awsome too, i have a mate that has trained , special forces dog handlers and the philipino police force and he knows his shit, he has a large dog security bussiness and swears he will eventually use nothing but these dogs , as he replaces old with new.

17. Why not just find one of those 100 lb blue bred apbt's? From my own personal experience, they are not d.a at all, but will bite the hell out of a person. That's JMO.

18. Off the subject, but I think it wouldn't be considered a pit bull attack if the bulldog bit a dirty thief, while protecting his property. Teenager or not. A thief is a thief. I think he would b viewed as a "good dog".

19. osk

osk Pup

There are many dogs that can protect a yard, all equally capable of doing the job. But above all things, the best protection for your dogs is a yard hand. Some one that watches over your yard 24-7. This along with a properly trained gaurd dog of your choice is the best security a yard can have.
    I also think lot of people get dogs for protection but never actually train the dogs properly for their duty as a guarding dog. So all the dogs mentioned come with their own characteristic and traits that would appeal to the person wishing to achoir the dog, they should take into concideration the environment of their home and yard and decide off that which dog would best suit their requirements.

I personally have been looking into getting a ban dog.
    It is a cross of south africas boerboel and american bulldog. Very people mean with the females averaging 45 kilograms, and males about 55-60.

20. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Because they're an effin' liability to us all! Why can't some people see that? With today's climate a person should never use an APBT or a dog that even remotely LOOKS like an APBT as a guard dog!

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. I guess you must not have heard of the GROWN MAN who broke into someone's house, was bitten by their APBT house dog. The would-be burglar sued the family & WON!! The thief said if he knew there had been a pit bull on the property he would have never broken in. The family ended up being held liable for "harboring a vicious animal" & as a result had to pay his court costs & medical bills!!

Get with the program people! I'll say it again - APBTs or anything that looks like them should NOT be used as guard dogs!!