1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

guard dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by texas_dogger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Like everyone has said, Doberman Pinschers are great gaurdians and are not known to be too DA. Personally, i like Cane Corsos as far as gaurdians go. But you cant really go wrong with any of the breeds listed so far.

Good luck

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Will this guard dog be loose around your APBTs?

It doesn't take a DA to get into a dogfight. Dog fights happen on a daily basis among ALL breeds and all mix of breeds.

With that said, I've got a Rottweiler and a Dogo Argentino that get the job done. However, they are chained up along with the rest, however their chains spots are in front of the 2 gates (1 at each gate). They are on 20 ft. chains that can reach the gate easily should somone decide to cut through our deadbolt and trespass onto our property.

3. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

In that case, I'd suggest a catahoula curr. they dont bark, dont give no warning, and if you aint family, they'll sneak up behind you and get you without any warning. Also, sometimes you can find one that is not too much da. With the other dogs in a seperate fence, I'd go that route, you could even run a hot wire around the dog fence.

I am looking into security camera's myself.

someone said a apbt, and yes, they are good to run the trash off, if you have the bond with them, they can sense what a person is up to.

4. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

I want to thank everyone for their opinion and time to respond to my thread, and also to pipbull for the idea about the wooden fence around the bulldogs. I will do that. Although I am still split between a few breeds. Again thanks everyone for your responses.

5. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Well, let us know what you do decide on. :)

6. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

i will throw my 2 cents in here...maybe its not a dog you need?
    over here i keep 4 bulldogs, a couple gambirds and the ultimate "watchdog"....

guinea fowl

yes, im serious. ask anyone you know that has guinea's- they will let you know when something is not right. just the other day they were causing the ruckus they do when something is not right- i go out to investigate-they found a 4ft long copperhead.
    another benefit of the guinea besides "watchdog" is bug/pest control. they feast on ticks and other bugs. they are easy to keep. they may not "defend" but they will certainly let you know when something is not right...and the ruckus will pretty much thwart any would-be theives.
    just something to think about, as they are fairly inexspensive ( about $5 each for standard gray's, exotics are about $10 each) and easy to keep

7. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

thanks rallyracer but I already have guineas and you are correct they do make a awful rucus lol.

8. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I knew someone who had a goose as a "watchdog" and they said she was brilliant at her job.

9. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Sheesh, can anyone spell shepherd right... :P
    I'd say Cane Corso or a DDR-bred GSD.

10. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

My bulldogs are my guard dogs or my gun is eitheir way it goes protection is serious out here

11. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

My Bulldogs absoulty love people espeically women and children and men as well but when they have a bad feeling about soemthjing on guard they go and elash with attack

12. American Bulldogs or APBTs?

13. Ricky1969

Ricky1969 Big Dog

I think a beagle would work well ! the one i trained the city police of canton shot and killed it because it was so dam mean thats not the only dog the city of canton shot and killed that i trained lol

14. as sarcastic as it sounds...I've seen one on youtube in personal protection....agile little bastards.

15. Sox

Sox Pup

I'd say that if your dogs are fenced in and so is the perimeter your best bet would be a fila or CO. I doubt anybody would be stupid enough to come in and if they did they wouldn't be getting out.

16. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

APBTS my beautiful APBTS

17. Olpan

Olpan Pup

Having professionally trained guard dogs (many moons ago) I would go with the malinois. Thay are top notch when it comes to guard duty.

18. Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog Big Dog

19. BLU3BR1NDLE

BLU3BR1NDLE Big Dog

I've had Rotties growing up and own a GSD at the moment. I think both these breeds make excellent guard dogs but I would go with the German Shepherd Dog. Mostly because I love mine, know how protective they can be, and IMO are less likely to get into a scrap. Rotties can be DA due to them being extremely territorial. Their huge size doesn't help either when your trying to keep them off your other dogs.:)