1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

guard dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by texas_dogger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

I think you need to define what you want the dog to do a little better.

For example, if you want to have total control over the dog, train it in bitework and use it to patrol the yard, then something like a Mal or Shepherd will be your best bet.

But if you just want a mean ol' dog to patrol the yard with no training I would stay away from the herders and Dobes- they will get bored with nothing to occupy their mind and you will be getting calls that they are loose cause they dug out/ climbed over the fence.

If you are just looking for a patrol dog that you don't have to put a lot of training on (which I would want a lot of training on a dog I was keeping to protect my yard- better to always be able to call the dog off), then I agree that any dog can do the job- depending on the look you want you can go with anything from a crazy mix to a Boerboel to a Caucasian Ovchartka.

Genevieve

2. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Fila Brasiliero, do some research on these dogs. From what i've read they are outstanding guard dogs that don't require training, just raise them from pups as part of the family and when they grow up u won't have any worries

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I myself like Dobermans best. I have found the German Shepherd to be too dog aggressive & too much upkeep w/ the coat. I used a Chow Chow & while he worked well, he had the same problems. I used Neapolitan Mastiffs once too & found them to be dog aggressive & they drew too much attention.

Dobies on the other hand have the same drive & people fear them for their "attack dog" reputation, but not near of the dog aggression (but I use females) or coat upkeep of a GSD. However, as genevieve said, you have to contain a Dobie well, b/c if bored they will roam.

JMHO ...

5. ofrn_man

ofrn_man Pup

I myself believe,through certain types of training,a pitbull could excell as a guard dog,but naturally probaly wouldent if it wasent taught to be one.

6. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I grew up with a Doberman that was awesome. But Boerboels are the shit! They are expencive as hell thought but great guard dogs. If Icould afford it I would get one. but they get big as hell and Im not sure about the dog aggresion thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  7. Suki

Suki Guest

good choices, as mentioned. having owned rotts for 15 years, yeah, as with most breeds, they have the potential to be DA~owned 2 males with that trait. however they DID do a good job "guarding" . i know two APBT breeders with good sized yards, both of which have Dobes and swear by them, and wouldn't use any other breed to guard their yards/property. a g/f of mine owns, shows and trains (for the State Police) Malinois and her dogs never cease to amaze me with their skill, tenacity and detirmination.
    so, again, all good breeds listed, as mentioned, but i would recommend going to a few breeders, and/or yards who do have protection dogs, look at their traits and qualities and go from there. just see what's gunna work out best for you.
    personally, i'd go with a Dobe~ get a younger one, introduce him/her to your yard/dogs and let the dobe get used to your dogs. get him/her fixed to help minimize any "accidents"~be they 'battles or breedings'..

just my .02

8. ~apbtfriend~

~apbtfriend~ Big Dog

If you get a Dobie get german bred this goes for GSD. Americans have bred the true temperment out of Dobies and GSD's ...

Malinois are great they have lots of drive willing to please etc.. this goes for eastern type GSD.

Rottweilers german bred are great too. My rottie was excellent at protection work.
    she wa not DA either but I do know Male rotties Can be if they are dominate.

rhodesian ridgeback are not really bred and trained for protection... they would be a good dog as for a watchdog.

south african boerboels is another excellent breed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mxx9uzLb21k

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wy-RwdUEiq4&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XXQkI0rQ22w&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h4tJl9GbPAM&feature=related

They are not know for DA usually breeders let them play together just fine.

american bulldogs are good too ( not the johnson type Lol)

I have lots of dogs to list lol

9. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

presa canarios. that wo7uld be my first choice, second to that i would get a spanish alano. red star kennels have excellent working presa's.

10. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Suki- I was just curious. What happens to a trained police dog that doesn't make the cut? I would imagine imagine that just like bulldogs they dont all work out so some must be culled.

11. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

Both are going to be at least somewhat, if not very, dog aggressive.

Genevieve

12. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

I want to make sure I understand the set up your going to have. Bulldogs are going to be on the chain in a fenced in area (chainlink) while the guard dog will be roaming the rest of the fenced in 5 acres?

I loved Boerboels, but there's one in our Sch club that I don't really see as ever being a guard dog, more of a watch dog.

I hear Dutch Shepherds are like Malinois' with an off switch, though. I've been interested in seeing one of them in action. Mals are super high drive and energy, so they might be too intense if they aren't active that much. But if you are having a problem with a lot of people getting on your property, than they would probably do just fine :D

Personally, I would do a wooden fence around the bulldogs and get a presa. They do well in the heat and they're good watch and guard dogs. They can be DA, though. And they get bigger than the range you gave. If you want to stick with that plan, than like what others have said, dobies are really good.

13. Suki

Suki Guest

yes, like other breeds that don't make "the cut" the owner can then decide what's best for said animal. some stay on a s pets, others, if they're of appropriate traits/quality, can then perhaps be shown, some get culled, but basically the same thinking applies. some just don't work out as police dogs....

14. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

If I was to just get a dog for guarding purpose I would go with a Masstiff.
    Very peaceful dogs til they are called apon. Very low maintance as far as exercise goes, they most commonly lay still to conserve energy so they can do thier job effectively. They are masive in size and would deter most anybody from coming onto your property without good reason.

15. Pipbull

Pipbull Top Dog

I was thinking that, too, but I don't know how they would do in the Texas heat. Is there any particular mastiff you would recommend?

16. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Not sure about the heat, I wouldn't want to leave any dog out in the heat in Texas or down in Fl where your at.

As far as Mastiffs I am partcial to the Bull Style type but my buddy has an old englsih Mastiff named Gunther ( aka speed bump ) he is a big 200 lbs + dog. Very spooky when he barks at you when you come on his porperty. That dog would scare the shit out of anybody, he is goofy as hell though once you get to know him but his appearance is overwhelming and is a great deterent.

I'd have to ask him where he got him, he did his homework and got himself a great dog.

17. cutt

cutt CH Dog

How bout the almighty Chiwawa..(unsure of spelling @ the time..) they bark for reason and are great doorbells

18. texas_dogger

texas_dogger Big Dog

Thanks alot for all the replies I have nailed it down to 4 so far and here they are: Dobie, Mallinois, GSD, and the Bouvier des flandres not sure how that would deal with the Texas Heat. Does anyone know how Great Danes do in this field of work?I really like them but dont know much about them. Thanks

19. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

I have met some nasty, aggressive Danes... I am sure you could find one in a rescue that would be happy to do the job (and they would be happy to place a "hard" dog).

Genevieve

20. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

I have a dane and he is a good guard dog. He is not very DA and never HA. If a strange animal that he knows does not belong there he will go ballistic, and if someone drives up or is outside walking around and they are strangers to him he will bark his head off, it is a pretty scarey sounding bark. If I am home and he is going off, you better believe there is something going on. If someone comes over he will bark until I tell him it is ok, he will then completely shut up and I can take the person into his space and he is the friendliest dog. But on the other hand, my cousin has a dane and he is scared of everyone and everything.