1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ground Hogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BBT, Feb 29, 2012.

1. BBT

BBT Big Dog

Ground hog season is approaching that's means I'll have to bury a few again.

Every year religiously we find dead ground hogs in the middle of the back yard. I usually just bury in the bones corner. Last year I took a look at the first one and not a drop of blood or a mark on him. I looked at my dog and not a mark. Not long after sure enough another dead ground hog just like every season. This one was marked up bit. Looked at my dog and not a mark on him.

I have never seen him lace into one or even seen the groundhogs alive.
    I wish it didn't happen.

Any advice on this? Am I wrong for thinking no big deal?

He sees the vet religiously season in season out for no reason and upto date on everything.

Thanks

2. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

We used to groundhog hunt. They have really thick hides so its hard to see the puncture wounds. The only thing I worried about was parasites: fleas, worms . . . other than that it was all good fun.

[​IMG]

3. blackcloud

blackcloud Big Dog

I have a bitch here that ate one and didn't get sick, not thats its a good idea to let them do so but generally I do not think killing a hog endangers their health. jmo!

4. JRSPITS

JRSPITS Top Dog

Nope, I fed each one we caught and didn't have any problems. Its a good idea to freeze the meat for a few weeks to kill any parasites though.

5. Bluedog

Bluedog Big Dog

Fuck, groundhogs do so much damage. I'd be glad my dog were killin em.

To be honest, I would just be worried about parasites like fleas (which can pass on tapeworm) and ticks (lyme disease).