1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Greetings from up North!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tamora, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Tamora

Tamora Guest

Well I've decided to dive in... I hope I've done enough practicing with ducking (from snappy flying comments) and curling up in the protective fetal position (from the lashings) to be able to post on this board.

To start with, I'm Tamora. My soon-to-be hubby and I have an 4-mth-old APBT, Mila, and two 8-mth-old mini-yorki-poo-huahuas, Cleo and Loki. (I know that's not a breed, but it really weeds out the knowledgeable dog people from the ones who claim to be and think it's a new breed :) ).

These dogs are our pets so this may not be the board for me, but my hopes are that I may be able to find knowledgeable dog people who can share their experiences with me when it comes to questions about training/temperment/health/etc.

Although we plan on spaying Mila, we do hope to try her hand (or paw I suppose) at different local events like weight pulling, agility, tracking and even conformation at the fun shows. Hopefully we'll find something that we both enjoy doing together, and get out there to do what we can to promote "the other side" of this amazing breed to the media.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Welcome to the board. How is the pup with the minis? And do you have any pictures of those dogs I've never heard of that lol.

1 person likes this.
  3. debodebo

debodebo Top Dog

Welcome to the forum.

1 person likes this.
  4. mrsmickey351

mrsmickey351 Guest

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here with us. I hope you can find out everything you need to know about what you would like to do with your dog.:)

5. welcome to the board! always glad to see new people. you can find a wealth of information here and people are always willing to help. you will find that sometimes answers can be harsh it's usually because of people who are not willing to learn or listen or just act out of pure stupidity. anybody with an open mind is treated with respect and helped in anyway possible! with that said make sure you learn about the APBT if you have never owned one. alot of reading here could save you ALOT of heartaches later. welcome again and by all means don't be afraid to post! ;):D

6. Attila

Attila Guest

Greetings and welcome.

7. Welcome to the board! Look forward to seeing some more pics!

1 person likes this.
  8. Suki

Suki Guest

Thanks for the intro, and it's nice to have you here. I really hope you enjoy the time you spend here. Yes, just have an open mind and be willing to learn about the APBT. That's key. No question, imo is a stupid one, and ANY time you want to hit me up, via a PM, please feel free=it'd be my pleasure, :) and I'll help you as best I can. If I don't know the answer(s), no doubt, one of the vets will! n/p!

and btw, can you Canucks keep your damn cold air all to yourselves=you're KILLING us Bostonains!!!! :eek: !!!!

;) :p

again, welcome and kick back and enjoy the show![​IMG]

9. Welcome to the site Hope you enjoy it.

10. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

Welcome to a fellow BCer. Everyone will help as much as they are able to. You ask the questions and they'll lead you in the right direction. One thing for sure about this site is that the people here love their dogs. My staff used to live with a minpin. You love them and they will love you back unconditionally. Happy posting. You've come to the right place for answers.

By the way suki it's not us! If you would tell the bozos in Texas to keep their fridge door closed then all that cold Alaskan air wouldn't freeze the rest of the continent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
  11. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Hello and welcome to the board. Hope you find everyone helpful! Enjoy your stay. :D

12. kjf85

kjf85 Big Dog

Welcome!
    Glad that you decided to join-- you will learn alot on this site
    If you ever have any questions just ask-- someone will be able to help you or give advice on the subject.
    have fun
    read and learn as much as you can
    good luck with your doggies

13. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Hi and welcome. I agree with Suki "No cold air for me.":)

14. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I shut the fridge, but we're still cold too!

15. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

WELCOME! [​IMG]

16. Tamora

Tamora Guest

LETHALPITS - The pup is pretty good with the minis now. At first, she was a little too klutzy around them, being a 3 month old puppy and being that she was an only pup from her litter didn't help.

We did have a (preventable) accident with her *ducks in advance of the flying comments about that one*. She (pittie) was trying to pee and the little mutt boy had his nose up her butt and she backed into him (while peeing) and ended up breaking his leg. $2000 in vet bills later, a little plate and 5 tiny screws in his leg, and he's all okay now - just looks ridiculous in a cone and a cast. The little girl mutt has an identictal cone and cast, but that's another story (not pittie related).

MORAL OF THE STORY: Big dogs and little dogs do not pee well together!

But all in all, she's good with them. They play in different areas (her on the floor, them on the couch) and they swap toys (the little guys drop things off the couch for her, she shakes the h$ll out of them and then gives them back lol). Right now we're getting her used to lying quietly on her bed with her bone, while the little guys race around the house with their little toys. She seems to be catching on pretty quick.

Oh and she taught them how to hip check! You know that pittie hip check that they all seem to instinctively know how to do at full speed! She taught them (as gently as a 30lb pittie puppy could) - now they do it to each other. Which is hilarious to watch two little 3lb and 5lb mutts trying to hip check each other away from a toy!

SUKI - We're sending you our cold air? I could have swore we're keeping it all lately! It's freakin cold up here. hehe - I went out and got a hat (okay, so it's really a toque, but I didn't wanna confuse all the americans) and it says "FREAKIN COLD" across the side! I love that thing. And thanks for the invitation to ask you all the stupid questions I wouldn't dare post! hehe

17. Tamora

Tamora Guest

Oh and thank you to everyone else who said hi! Hi back! Way too many people to say individual hi's to. I didn't realize there were so many of you!

18. Suki

Suki Guest

LOL! You're very welcome Tamora!
    seriously, any time! :D
    and it looks like you guys are gunna hit us again this week-end!
    damn! I just wanna ride!!!!!;)

j/k=it's ALL good!
    enjoy!
    guess I'll break out the hot chocolate, instead of the brew, ....:(

19. Tamora

Tamora Guest

Here ya go LETHALPITS...
    The new pocket-dog! Mini-yorki-poo-huahuas!

[​IMG]

A wonderful blending of miniature pinscher, yorkshire terrier, poodle and chihuahua. However, there seems to be a consistency issue with this breed. These two are full bro/sis from the same litter.

Size: Females weigh between 3lbs and 3.1lbs, males can weigh upwards of 5lbs. Perfect for purses or pockets!

Coat: Coats vary from long soft and non-shedding (from the poodle ancestry), to short, stiff and sheds everywhere. The long-coated variety requires consistent grooming to prevent the dogs from ingesting their own lengthy forehead hair.

Bite: Undershot bites are favored, scissor bite not necessary. It is required to have very large teeth compared to the size of their mouths (this is their only means of protection). Dogs of this breed commonly have the ability to unhinge their jaws to get more volume from their whining/barking/yapping/howling.

Feet and Legs: This breed lacks circumference of their radius and ulna (I believe the vet said "brittle as a dry chicken bone"). Legs should be long and upright, this is ideal for the hard working purse-dog breeds. Toed-out grinch feet are common.

Temperament: These dogs show a confident attitude and a braveness beyond their intelligence. Never one to back down from an encounter (until the other dog gives them "the look"). Very vocal for all occasions. Dog- and Human- aggression is very rare, if not unheard of for this loving breed. Good companions with cats and dogs alike (anything larger than them - not good with rodents).

Central body: A well defined tuck-up, and deep girth (ribcage) is indicative of the level of conditioning in this breed (or at least others will think your dog is conditioned)

Tail: Most often carried over the back, "gay tail". Must be wagging whenever the dog is in motion - this is required to maintain balance in strong winds. The short haired variety have a naturally occurring 90-degree kink in the tip of their tails.

Movement: Hackney action preferred. Movement should be high-stepping, not ground-covering.

Eyes: Large, clear eyes. Bulging eyes are favorable.

Ears: Rose, prick or semi-prick are common. Bat ears (wide ears) will not be penalized.

Please take this post as the joke it was intended to be!

20. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

Left the fridge open too long! Be close to spring before it warms up. Ah, well, we'll know what to do next year.