1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Got A Skin Promlem!!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by ssk_pitbulls, Jul 4, 2007.

1. could someone please help me out. i have a male that has SEVERE skin issues! EVERYTIME i give him a bath, he chews and scratches constantly, until he starts to go bald. i have taken him to the vet. no mange, changed his food many times, tried medicated washes and creams, moved him to new environments, everything i can think to do. BUT as soon as he gets completely filthy again, he starts getting better. this is NOT good, b/c i can't take him to the shows dirty as all get out. have any of you seen this problem? and what other remedies can you tell me about?

2. well changing his food "many times" can't be helping. get a quality kibble AND STICK WITH IT, use some flaxseed oil on it 3 times a week, and i have a friend that swears by some stuff called "the missing link". it is for coat and skin problems and can't hurt trying. he recommended it to another person i know who was having trouble with their dogs coat and such and it did wonders. they swear it was the product that made the difference.

3. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Could he possibly be allergic to the shampoo you are using? Try an oatmeal shampoo.

4. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

I Have Heard Fish Oil Can And Is Better Than Flaxseed Oil, But Everyone Has An Opinion......the First Few Times I Gave My Little Buddy A Bath, I Don't Think I Throughly Rinsed Him Like I Should Have......i Spend Twice As Much Time Rinsing As I Do Actual Washing And Scrubbing......i Have Been Switching, Every Other Day From Fish Oil (m,w,f) And Raw Egg On Food (t,th,sat) And Their Coats Have Really Improved.....very Shiny And Smooth....i'd Try One Of The Supplements And Try Rinsing Him/her Longer To Make Sure All Of The Shampoo Is Totally Gone....good Luck...a-man

5. thanks. and i have tried different shampoos, oatmeal included. he's an oddball for sure. yeah, i have all mine on diamond high-energy right now, they are all doing great on it, even him, given the fact that he's not been bathed in a few weeks. lol. he must just like being dirty....here he is when his coat is "ok"

[​IMG]

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

My first guess would be that you are not rinsing him completely clean. This means you must rinse his entire coat from the tip of the nose to the tips of the tose to the tip of the tail & then rinse again. You want clean water coming off of him for a few minutes before ending the bath.

Second, there are much better foods out there. It would be cheaper to switch all the dogs over to a quality food than to try & supplement & vet care your way to healthy dogs.

7. what food would you recommend? i have been using this food for sometime now,and it's been great on all my other dogs. and they all love it. i have heard some good stuff about canidae though???? i have tried wellness as well, but only had success with one dog actually eating it. and while on it, he had SEVERE loose stools.

8. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

EVERYTIME i give him a bath, he chews and scratches constantly, until he starts to go bald.
    That there is where your answer and problem lies…bathing/shampoo. Given you stated having tried various ones. First make sure you’re doing as Miakoda recommended; making sure you’re completely rinsing him of all shampoo residue. Then look over all the ingredients of all the shampoo’s and find the common ingredient/s and odds are that’s what is causing him his allergic reaction. It also appears from your post, you bath them a lot-don’t.
    <O:p</O:p
    i have all mine on diamond high-energy right now, they are all doing great on it
    Can’t judge really by a picture, but what you can clearly see is the “bloat” look your dog has stemming from the high-carb, junk kibble you’re feeding. Try an actual meat based food designed for a canine. You’d be surprised by the results and what you view as “doing great” and how that will change once seeing the positive changes they’d make compared to presently being feed that poison.

9. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

The adivce you have already gotten is great. Our dogs that have skin issues are on the DVP Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato feed. It takes a few weeks or so to see the effects of a food change sometimes. Especially if you swap right. You need to do it gradually over a week or so. Another supplement you could check into is coconut oil. Virgin, raw, unrefined. Start with a tsp once a day on his food. It has medium chain fatty acids that are hard to get in food alone. It is also a antiviral, antimicrobal, and antifungal. Another solution is a after bath rinse made from Calendula flowers. My guy breaks out in hives from one flea bite or skeeter bite and the tea dabbed on the spots clears him up in a matter of hours. You can pm me and get the exact receipe if you want.

10. I have had a very similar problem with my male champ, and have gone through a lot of the steps you have with no success either. two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to take him on vacation with me to north myrtle beach everyday in the evenig on our week vacation I took him out on the beach with a long lead and threw the ball out in the water he would play around for a while in the ocean. everday I noticed that he was scratching a little less and by the time we got home he had completly stoped. But as far as the food goes, I tried the Canidae, which he liked a lot but I did not see any improvement in his skin. I also tried a science diet sesitive skin stuf which was complete crap (he hated it and it did nothing). My vet gave me this DOUXO Seborrhea spot on stuff that you just rubbed all over the itchy area, but it did nothing. He also gave me some Cephalexin capsules that I gave him twice a day for about a month and it seemed to be helpful, but no drastic improvement. So my recomendation to you is to take off a week from work and take ur pit to the beach!!!

11. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

i think its a red nose problem..my male was doing the same thing..i found out that one single flea bite would set him off for weeks..after i started using front line..and adding a table spoon of extra virgin olive oil to his food i fixed the problem..it always happened when i bathed him so i thought it was the shampoo..but it was the shampoo pissing off the fleas..the fleas were hiding near his butt hole :o and i didnt see them..so after the bath they would come out and bite him..do a real good check and if you find one single flea..its a good chance that maybe your problem.