1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

got a notice from animal control to call ASAP

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Dec 27, 2006.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

my dog was involved in an incident yesterday with a neighbors dog. havent talked to the neighbor nor do i know the status of the neighbors dog.
    just came home to a notice from the marshals department:animal control department. handwritten it says" Your dog injured a neighbors dog yesterday. We need to speak with you as soon as possible! Please call us ASAP"

Should I call them? what should I say? I will tell you I hate the police and think they are more crooked than a snake.

there is NO way they are taking either dog from me

i have a last resort of taking them back to Florida for a couple months

2. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Is the note on any type of letterhead? Most ACs have a notice form they will use. If it is a hand-written note, I might bide my time a bit & see what happens.

If it is on letterhead it might be serious & it couldn't hurt to give them a ring. If you don't, they most certainly will come for another visit. If they have to go out of their way to come to your place again b/c you didn't call them, you might at the very least find yourself facing some very irritated officers. At the most, you might find yourself facing some very irritated officers who will sling you &/or your dog in the pokey.

If you do call, just give them your name & you were callling per their request about an incident concerning your neighbor's dog. Since you are a self-proclaimed cop hater (how nice :rolleyes: ) be polite!! Being an snippy won't get you anywhere, neither will any crazy talk. Keep your cool, talk like an adult & things should be fine.

In the meantime it might not hurt to retain a lawyer.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  3. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

Well, acording to your previous post. You knew that your dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog. I would have at least made sure everything was ok before waiting on them to call AC. Yea you should call and take care of it. Your dogs have gotten out before and have caused problems. Irregaurdless of who let the dogs out it is still your responsibility because they are your dogs. If you cannot trust the ones taking care of your dogs when you are away either find someone who is capable of handling them, Rehome the dogs, or make sure that YOU are there to take care of them. those are the only options. If my dogs got loose and attacked a neighbors dog, it is my resonsibility to make sure that every thing is fixed and paid for, that is my duty as a responsible APBT owner. Peace.

4. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Good post ABK. I have came home to a note like that before as well (yard accident w/2 of mine). I would call them asap and find out what they want. A kind/willing attitude will take you a long way, trust me. Find out what happened first, then let us know. I would be more concerned about what happened to the neighbors dog that calling AC. Whenever anything happens and AC is called, whether it was a scratch, or a leg missing, they will always contact you.

5. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Also, Sounds Like You Have Some Changes To Make Asap. Esp. If The Dogs Have Gotten Out Before. God Knows Accidents Happen, But They Should Be Dealt With The Very First Time, And Fixed Then.

6. GAowner

GAowner Pup

its on letterhead and the notice is handwritten

FYI, the dogs were in my yard

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The neighbors dog came into your yard and got bit?

8. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

More details please. Did the neighbors dog enter your confined yard, or were your dogs loose and the incident occur'd on your property?

9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Give them a ring ASAP then & as Miss Conduct said, keep a kind & willing attitude. I too had to deal w/ AC before due to a yard accident & an open & understanding attitude will take you far.

Remember, they don't want to be bothered w/ this any more than you do. Most cops hate dog calls. You don't want them there & they don't want to be there, so be understanding & as tractable as possible they will be out of your hair as soon as they can.

But if If you get snippy, act crazy or act like you have something to hide, they will look into you further.

As for the neighbor's dog was in your yard, YOU are the pit bull owner, so they will be looking at you. Kinda like being the oldest kid in the house hold. You're the responsible one, no matter what. :(

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree with ABK & Miss C. I too have had a run in with AC when a neighbor's pit bull got out & bit a little girl severely & of course it got blamed on my dogs. Not only did AC show up at my house, but so did the police....2 cars. Against my better judgement, I allowed them in my home to see my kennel setups & in my fortress of a backyard to prove it wasn't my dogs. That was the only way to keep them from taking my dogs as AC showed up in 2 vans ready to haul them all away. I was worried about it all, but since then I haven't had a single problem.

If your dogs got out of your yard, the key is to keep a respectful attitude & admit you were wrong & you are willing to do what it takes to keep everyone's dogs safe (yours & the neighbor's). Don't avoid calling them because when they come next time it will be to confiscate your dogs. And you could be facing a more serious charge for avoiding them. You've got to work with them at this point or they will make your life a living hell.

11. Suki

Suki Guest

I would contact them, as well, with an open minded, nondefensive attitude. Listen to what they have to say, and fix what needs to be fixing.

Learn from this. hopefully nothing will come of it, and learn how to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Ignoring them will not make anything go away. face it. deal with it. let it be done.

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Good post Suki. In fact, ignoring things usually makes them worse.

I have to agree w/ Mia too. I was real leery about letting AC see my yard, but once they saw we were cooperative & had nothing to hide, I haven't had a problem w/ them since.

13. Attila

Attila Guest

I will not let AC in my yard as they have no authority here nore does the HS. Only the Sherriff can question me but he can't come on my land unless I let him or her depending on who they send is if I will let them onto my property. However if the dog came into your yard you need to make sure it is know that the other dog attacked yours and their dog got just reward for its tresspass. If it is on letter head I would call. If it is on a peice of paper with nothing stating where it came from in typeset I would go shove it up my neighbors ass.ebow deep and tell them to keep their mutt in their own yard. But that is me. Any pet that enters my farm better be mine or it is dead. And all mine are secure by chain, crate or leash at all times unless I am hunting so that ends that issue. If it is free running it isn't mine and it just became a predator once it crosses my fence. I don't care what it is.

14. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

Let them contact you.

15. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Attila, i always love your answers LOL! I had a lab wander into my yard, and the damn thing was dumb as rocks and somehow let one of my kennel'd dogs get ahold of its leg! I woke up to the lab screaming, and all the other dogs howling. That was fun..... :rolleyes:

16. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I've never had a run with AC( knock on wood), but I would probably talk to the neighbors before I called AC. You might be able to resolve the conflict before they are needed.

17. Attila

Attila Guest

Well it may always seem funny but about 30 minutes ago I heard my dogs going nuts and went outside and heard my chickens going wild in the hen house so I grabbed my shot gun expecting the worst and I found a beagle inside who I assume to have caught his first chicken. I am sick of this stuff happening and just so happens this dog belonged to the neighbor that has let this shit happen time and time again. I even beat his ass for it before. I am 5 alarm chilie hot this time. I think I will really hurt him bad this time. Chickens beat themselves half to death inside the hen house flying into the roof and walls. I am damn fired up. The sooner he gets home the less I will be pissed I will only get worse as times goes by.

18. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Did u put some lead between that mutts eyes, i would have in an instant.

19. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Oh, damn! my apologies! That would have my quite hot as well! Maybe if one of your dogs accidentaly gives the dog a beating, it wont return. ;)

20. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Or maybe if the dog just disappears ...