1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Good Workout Routine to build muscle in a dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Fuhrer, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

What is a good routine for my dog, I want to build him up. Especially his neck, his chest seems to be doing well. and his hind quarters are good. His jaws, and neck and well an all around routine would be good to bulk him up a bit, not alot, but a bit.

2. carson3535

carson3535 Big Dog

try swiming and walking or walking with a 5 ft. chain and and a 5 lbs. weight on the end of it and walk an hour a day. And go up every two weeks but no more than 20 lbs.

3. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Fuhrer how old is your dog? If it is a young dog let him grow up and see how he looks then.
    Also not to be rude, but if you want a big dog honestly get a mastiff or American Bulldog.
    And people walking "pitts" with chains around their necks doesn't help out the breeds image.

4. CRD

CRD Big Dog

walking and swimming

5. mike333

mike333 Big Dog

I think your reffering to carson's comment im sure he wasnt talking about out in public.As far as your dog try swimming but not too much & always keep the dog in sight.Walking is good.A springpole helps out alot.

6. CB

CB CH Dog

You can never go wrong with a spring pole it works very very good. And walk them about a mile a day. Swimming is really good to.

7. ochi

ochi Pup

swimming.. i wanted my dogs to do jst that.. but the members of our village's club house won't allow my dogs to swim with me in the pool.. they said their fur will get all over the place..

8. coyrobert

coyrobert Big Dog

you dont have a river around or local lake,maybe a pond

9. Any kind of exercise walking, and swiming Ill even find a little hill and stand at the top and play fetch.

10. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

Now Scotsman, I know that if I wanted a dominating dog in size I would go with those, but you know what, I have my opinion, and I am entitled to it. Umm..Ok well it is starting to get cooler here, where I am, so I will probaly go with the walking here on the FARM. So you say a chain with weights will do it? Ok, I'll give it a shot. Plus he is just not interested in the spring pole anymore..So...Walking it is.

11. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

swiming builds good muscle and lots of other good things plus u can get in and swim with them walking is good for dog and you

12. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

walking is good, running is better. they make weight packs. they fit like a harness, and have two pouches on the shoulders for weights. swimming is great for them too.and all this probably won't "bulk" the dog up too much anyway. it'll just cut him/her up.

13. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

How would I break my dogs fear of water, I can't even get him to chill out for a bath...

14. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

i started giving my dog baths as soon as i got her, so that part was never a problem with her. but i took her swimming for the first time a few weeks ago. i just got one of her favorite toys that would float and walked out into the water with her.(at a lake). i kept her on the leash at first, until she got the hang of it. then i could just get out and toss the toy in 10-15 feet and she'd haul ass to get it. i guess the main thing to do is make them feel comfortable about the whole thing. whether it's a bath or a swim. a bunch of yelling and trying to make them do it won't help. it'll just make them think it's punishment. try rubbing the dogs mouth and face when you're giving it a bath. i saw that crap on the dog whisperer show...it might help/ it's what mother dogs do to their young when they give them a beth, is what he said. who lnows. as far as swimming, don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!

15. Fuhrer

Fuhrer Pup

I seen that episode too!!! Will do, he is due for a bath soon anyway, and some remoisturizer. Thanx alot. I will probaly go swimming before it gets to cold...

16. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Have you ever tried the beach? My dogs love the beach, but normally would'nt like any other forms of water. Another thing I tried that worked is when they are by a pool I get something that they want real bad, like a stuffed animal, one that makes noise is the best. If I throw it in the pool they will jump in after it even though they don't like the water!!

One time I threw in a huge stuffed animal in the pool and my female jump in after it. It was so big she could'nt bring it out of the pool. Even after drowning she still did'nt let go of it and kept trying to drag it out. If I did'nt go in their and pull her out with it she would just drown, and still would not let go!

17. Big Papa

Big Papa CH Dog

what you should do is if he's 2 yrs old make him pull weights or like walk around in weights for like 30 min then take him swimming then walking him.

18. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

I ran a steel runner between two posts, tied a large rope onto a steel cip to slide up and down the runner. I tied 2 large knots on the other end of the rope. MIKA loves to run and grab the rope. She likes to jump up and grab it and swing lol.

19. ochi

ochi Pup

there's a pond like 5 kilometers away from my crib.. i can bring my dogs there on weekends.. maybe i'll try bringing my dogs there this coming weekend..

20. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

:D:D:D:D Dont you have lakes/ponds around your area? I can just imagine telling the pool owners you need to excerise your dog in the pool and them looking at you like your crazy. I've had the same look when I told my mother I was going in her pool with my dog....LMAO

Fuhrer- One way to get them used to the water is those 5 dollar plastic kiddy pools from walmart....just let them get in as they wish, dont even act like you notice it there, and dont force him/her in. Some dogs just dont like the water and theres nothing you can do about that. Get an nitro rc car......get him to chase that thing full speed for a couple 30 mins a day, fun for you and a GREAT way to get the dog to give his all during a run.

Marty likes this.