1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Good Hog Dog Line

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Steeldog, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Just curious of good hog dog lines. Good catch dogs that are game to the bone against wild boar. What is the ideal weight? I imagine a bit more that 35-40lbs. Kennel names? I'm very familiar of the American Bulldog performance line names for pigs but not with apbt's.

2. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

3. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

I have been having good luck out of a line of catchdogs out of Texas. Benedict breeding. As you can see they got bite and they take natural to a hog the way most pits do. The hard part of most pit lines is too much dog aggression instead of hog aggression. When you release a catchdog, it must have instinct to dodge the baydogs and hit the hog like a missle. Also when they catch they must stay caught as your life and your baydogs life sometimes depends on it. Other lines that i have seen catchdog success with are some Jeep lines and Boudreaux lines.

Tlahuicole_73 likes this.
  4. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Nice pic!! That looks like a monster boar! I'm out of Amarillo, TX. New to the area originally from California. I know what you mean about having the catchdog skip the baydogs. I've noticed a few apbt's taylored for that. Must be a little easier to handle a smaller apbt compared to the bigger AB hog lines. I did go with an AB of the Hines bloodline. Should reach 80-90 lbs.

5. KingFisher.

KingFisher. Big Dog

does dagger kennles hunt boar ? i know they weight pull those guys have some serious heavy weights dogs.

6. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

I think the APBT do a better job of catching wild boar in my area because of the brush and undergrowth that the boars tend to bay up in. The American bulldogs tend to get hung up in bad brush. Plus, if the hog breaks the bay, the APBT will run with the pack for a good ways and maybe get a chance at another catch. Most American bulldogs have a very limited distance they can keep up with the hounds. I use a line of Black and Tans to jump and bay the hogs. I will try to get a pic of them for you on here.

7. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

8. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

[​IMG]

9. Luk8272

Luk8272 Big Dog

Very nice pics dwd58.
    I know some people that hunt Mississippi that run some Carver dogs. I personally have never been on a hunt, but assume (you know what they say about that) since they have been hunting for years and keep a yard of them that they are worth the feed.

10. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

We use the Dynomite dogs (frisco) they are highly intelligent and when tought what to go for they usually acomplish their task. They stay on the head of a Hog and can move real good to stay out of trouble and have plenty of mouth to not loose hold. We also us Dangerzone dogs , they r a line that was developed in florida and is now used for weightpull. Dagger dogs are worth a shit for hog hunting. They are to stupid and the hot ones will end up attacking ur bay dogs.

11. SacRedboyOwner

SacRedboyOwner Top Dog

WACCAMAW!!! Game and great at hog hunting.

12. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Cool pics!

13. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

I always wondered how Chinaman/Frisco dogs did with hogs. If I was to get an apbt I'd go with one off Garner's yard. I especially like Dynomite dogs. I am also googling info about Dangerzone dogs. Interesting.

14. Well the dogs that I use are Colby dogs. Smart stay out of trouble when caught and the female that I have can run the yard and not hit other dogs. She is cold but when a bay is going on she is anything but cold. I send her to the bay at 200+ yrds all the time. I will be breeding her here in the next few months to a relly good dog and see what I get. I will give the dogs that I see have what it takes to other hog doggers and the ones that just wont work well you know cull hard and cull offten if that is what it takes to get what you need. I am not trying to make any $$ at all I just want a male that is a catching machine like my female. Every one of her litter mates males and females are all jam up catch dogs here in TX.

15. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

I already have a pup that I'll be receiving in the middle of May. But just curious what part of Texas you are in?

16. KingFisher.

KingFisher. Big Dog

nice pics ???????????? we dont want to see the cur dogs wheres the pics of the bulldogs the are capable of holding ---lb boar.

17. LuvMyBulldogs

LuvMyBulldogs Big Dog

I would definitely have to agree with SacRedBoy, Waccamaw would be the way to go....However, you would need to get the pup early and socialized with other dogs immediately in order for it to be a good catch dog...

18. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

19. Deesa

Deesa Pup

I have had some success with a Jeep/Redboy, i hunt in a mountainous region in australia not many boars and not the biggest either biggest ive seen was prob around 150kgs(330Ibs). Only ever took him out by himself, he was very capable in the terrain. but only had about 700metres worth of chase in him before he tired(never needed more though always got his target)

20. CajunCountryK9

CajunCountryK9 Big Dog

Which ever ones you are putting in the woods that make it back to see their feed pans!