1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Going Away

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by thedude04, Feb 6, 2006.

1. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

i am prople going tojnoin the army the onley thing holding me back is my dog not that he doesnt have a home if i go he does but hes only 6 mouths and im worried he will ffor get me y im gone the recuter told me that he can come wiht me witch is great but what happens when i go to war well i he forget me or not care when i came home? so my question and concern is that if im gone for lets say a year well he forget all about me?
    i know this well seem wierid to some people but plase any thing well help and any one in the army thats knows some ting hat would be great too

2. tjpitbull

tjpitbull Big Dog

Take him with you. Whi said you were going to war. I heard you could keep them on the base. But you still have to do your basic correct?

thedude04 likes this.
  3. pitbulllvr25

pitbulllvr25 Big Dog

Take him woth you. There's nothing lke having a friend when your away from home.

thedude04 likes this.
  4. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

take the dog with u!!!!

thedude04 likes this.
  5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I completely understand your situation. When my mandatory wait for a DUI expires I plan on joining up also. The one thing that has weighed heavily on my mind is what to do with the dogs. I was told you can't keep them on base, but off-base housing you can. Problem is, you need to be married to get off-base housing I was told. My solution-go reserves. That seems like only the logical thing to do in my case. I dont care about the pay and benefits you get from being active duty, what I do care about is serving my country and staying close to my family, and also me having the final decision on what dogs to keep, and how many. Best of luck whatever you decide bro.

thedude04 likes this.
  6. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

i am taking him with me and they told me that i could kepp him on base unless i want to go to the uk but i dont want him to forget me if i do go away baisc im not worrey about becasue after that i well be home for a while but if i get deploed i dont want him to forget qbout me while im gone

7. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Being a weekend Warrior is the way to go.. You still get alot of the same benefits (GI Bill, etc etc) and you live off base.. I was active (not army though..)

thedude04 likes this.
  8. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

Just remember “recruiters” will tell you what you want to hear! Their job is to get you to sign on the line. While at basic training and schooling to learn your MOS not sure you will be able to have your dog-while I was in the Corps those married couldn’t even have their wives there with them much less a dog. They had to wait until all schooling was over with and they reached their permanent duty station before having the wife and kids join them.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
    thedude04 likes this.
  9. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

ya i cant have him and basic or AIT traing but when they station me i can have him but well he forget me??

10. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Dude, you also need to be aware of where you might be stationed. It's very possible these days for you to get stationed where there is BSL against the breed & then your s.o.l.

thedude04 likes this.
  11. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

yes i looked into that thye told br that i could pick my frist station so im going to find one where bsl is not. the recruter told me the same thing ,but it seems like the bsl is every where he told me if i get staationed it the uk that scines the base is on american land that it would be ok but i dont know what to i wont leave my dog i dont want him to forget about me

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

That's what they told my friend too, but it's not so. He couldn't bring his dog into either the UK or Germany despite the fact of living on an American base. Seems the law forbidding any "pit bull' importation gets you there. My parents have his dog now.

Don't think some of us are trying to discourage you in any way. Hell, I'm very happy to have people want to serve our country & protect us. I joined the Marine Reserves back in 2000 only to get the boot after having my right leg get run over by a snow mobile (fractured femur, tore all knee ligaments, fractured growth plate all which equaled to being a liability :( ). I was supposed to leave for boot camp in less than 2 months. Anyways, thank you for your big decision & if worse comes to worse, I'm sure there is someone on this board that would be willing to give your dog a new home (worst case scenario) or "foster" him until you are in a situation to have him.

Good luck with everything. :)

13. I doubt he will forget you, we had a 8 month old stay with us for a couple months until my friend got his own place, and every time we go visit his dog still gets super excited we are there, and that was over a year ago, he'll remember who you aer and your scent!

thedude04 likes this.
  14. RIVES PITS

RIVES PITS Top Dog

Take The Dog And Good Luck Solidier

15. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I'm not so sure how much true reserves there are at this time. All the reservists are in Iraq or Afghanistan that I know. Good Luck to you and your dogs. I'll pray for you.

thedude04 likes this.
  16. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Texas said it "dont trust recruiters", they get paid to lie to you and get you to sign up. They will literally do almost anything to get you to join. I've talked to enough recruiters figuring out what branch I will go in to smell B.S. from a mile away. Also, my father was a recruiter for a short while (if they did exceptionally well on base they got to go home for recruitment for 2 months, I believe it was). I'm sorry to hear about you being denied because of a medical mia, I was also. :( When you go to join you need to say absolutely no broken bones ever or medical problems, the Army will not take the time to research every recruits medical folder...and besides that they want you, so tell them what they want to hear. I'm glad I was denied and had some time to sit and think about it....Reserves is now clearly the way for me. I just want to fight....I dont need the perks that go with being active. Scooter-I dont understand the problem with going overseas? You sign up for the military to fulfil your duty to the country, and that involves fighting wars if need be. I just never got why people would sign up and be dead-set against not fighting. I'll join to fight, not for free perks.

17. Cnote

Cnote Banned

I joined the army, and found out everything told to me was a lie. Chances are you don't pick your 1st duty station, they put you where you want to go. I was one of those people that scored high on the ASVAB and every branch was calling and bugging me. I wanted to go Air Force but because I was a single parent, I couldn't. So off to the army. I was told I'd get this and that blah blah blah, he even lied to the people to get me in. Chances are you CAN'T put the dog onbase, it's considered aggressive even if it isn't. I was told I'd be station in the states, come to find out, everybody that was in my MOS and close to it were being stationed overseas on hardship tours where none of your family could come. Of course I was told that my child could go where ever I was stationed by the recruiter. His job is to tell you whatever you want to hear to get you in, once you sign and raise your right hand and swear, its all over. I got out of the Army in the end of bootcamp because I didn't like all the lies I was told. I ended up going to the Navy the next year. That recruiter kept it real with me, just the way he was. Plus I came with hellified questions. I even cussed out my Army recruiter while in boot camp (surprised didn't get in trouble for that) and cussed him out some more when I came home.

18. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

well thanx every one for the info i couldnt give my dog away but thanx for the suggestion miakoda foster home maybe but i would fell bad becasue i would be droping my dog of for some one to tka ecare of but if comes down to it ill have to ya im going to cheack out the resevres ,ya i also scored high on my aspbes and i keep get calls from every one. but in my family every one has severd except for a few so its kind pressering here at home too the onley person who doesnt want me too go is my mom lol figers huh. but i looked into the trainers that u drop your dogs off at and they train them while your gone but i dont know if i could trust them to be good to my dog i dont want to co,me back and kick the sht out of some one for betting my dog lol but its a gard chose to make if i didnt have my pup it would be no proplem but dame it i fell in love with the guy i couldnt let him go with out a fight

19. I bet he will not forged you.....if you wanna be sure visit him after say 6 month....but i think 1 year is not enough to make a bulldog forged things...important things like the ones he love...and you can let him hear your voice via telephone...that helps too..good luck! :)

20. adam4by4

adam4by4 Pup

I am so sorry but I am afraid if this kid is going to be the one protecting my rights. I think he needs another couple of semesters of high school with some possible English/Spelling classes involved. I am not bashing but come on, I was struggling just to form sentences out of what was typed. Quit worrying the dog wont forget you for christs sake.